Pandora - I Want To Cancel My Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is in the bandwidth you get and the speed. A server can be on OC3s. You get nothing even close at home. TPB looks to be still up to me.

migo said:
The difference is in the bandwidth you get and the speed. A server can be on OC3s. You get nothing even close at home. TPB looks to be still up to me.

It was bought. Also, dflemster might be referring to the first time it went down.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
migo said:
Well, you can get the same bandwidth at home as you would get at some business building or server hall if you know where to look. Pro tip: Don't use any of the ISPs that
1. have commercials targeted at the average Joe
2. have some kind of deal like "get the 3 first months free!" or
3. explicitly only provide broadband to homes.

If you get in contact with an ISP that doesn't have any of the above, you'll probably get some cool deals for connections up to 100 mbit/sec up and down.

If you're serious about it all, of course.

And as you know if you have seen the news in the past year, the owners of The Pirate Bay have been convicted, TPB has been sold to a third party and will probably be taken down in the near future. Also, all activity to or from TPB is now being monitored by the Swedish state/Swedish ISPs, and information about who connects to the site may be given out to anyone who suspects anything about anybody.

In other words: you either have to be damn good at torrenting, or else it just isn't worth it (unless you have a really good private tracker, a couple of proxies, etc).

Also, let's stop talking about all this. It isn't strictly against the forum rules, but it comes close.

migo said:

We are going REALLY offtopic here, but:
whats the use in this? really.. you still have to grab the files from your server afterwards at your locals net access bandwidth limits.
I'm using a levelone wap-0007 to manage torrents from elsewhere if I really have to. However, I only used it a few times to test it and then got bored.

do like me, run linux on your wii, and use it a lowpower consuming torrentclient, i then ftp get my files from it, dl speed is limited to 400-500kb/s though, hardware limit :/

BackAssward said:
I'm sure they are both grateful for your valuable and constructive input.
I should hope so!

Aninhumer said:
Both the Pandora and N900 have 256MB of real memory.
I thought that was what i said.

Aninhumer said:
Virtual memory could easily be put on the Pandora's SD card, it might be slightly slower, but virtual memory is already a huge slowdown compared to real RAM anyway.
A lot slower then the NAND even. And by that standard, the N900 has a memory card slot as well.

Aninhumer said:
Also it's not such a good idea to run virtual memory off NAND with limited writes anyway.
Core storage space is basically irrelevant as long as the OS fits, and I think 2 SDHC slots is better than the N900's 32GB built in secondary storage, especially since they can probably be firmware upgraded to SDXC slots later.
Same chip, the difference being the C64+ working frequency. Chances are just as great that the N900 will be upgradeable in the same area, and with the same flaws.

Lets face it. These are pretty darn close in specs. There isn't one sure winner. It all depends on what your going to do with it. The N900 comes with a 32gb integrated storage, and a GPS, but costs 2x as much. Oh, and the N900 isn't just a nifty table top, it doubles as a rather large and clumsy phone as well as a camera. There are benefits for either system. Get the one that suits your need. But if it's a Panda, order sooner, rather then later, or you'll be waiting for a while. The N900, is a bit more easily available, and as such not quite the same rush.

dflemstr said:
It's actually pretty easy to compete with us Swedes when it comes to torrenting, especially since nobody torrents any more since the IPRED laws were introduced and the TPB went down. Or well, I do, but that's because I only ever torrent Linux ISOs.
I don't know about the rest of the swedes.. But i still do torrents, and hit good speeds, both up, and down, so both seeders and leechers are plenty.

migo said:
OC-3, up to 148Mbit payload. I only got 100/100 Mbit, but thats still in the area, close enough for comfort, and more importantly, in parts of town, and other parts of Sweden your able to get Gbit speeds. My neighborhood isn't upgraded yet, but should be when the summer comes back knocking on my door.

God Ginrai said:
It was bought. Also, dflemster might be referring to the first time it went down.
Pirate bay wasn't bought. The bloke who was buying managed not to gather the funds, since then it's been dead silent. However, the tracker is no more, but the front end, the search engine is still there. (The VIP tracker might still be kicking from time to time, but mainly torrents on TPB are hosted on openbittorrent.com.
B!

Mr B said:
God Ginrai said:
Pirate bay wasn't bought. The bloke who was buying managed not to gather the funds, since then it's been dead silent. However, the tracker is no more, but the front end, the search engine is still there. (The VIP tracker might still be kicking from time to time, but mainly torrents on TPB are hosted on openbittorrent.com.
B!

Oh, it seems I'm a bit out of the loop then, my apologies.

-God Ginrai

JayFoxRox said:
We are going REALLY offtopic here, but:
whats the use in this? really.. you still have to grab the files from your server afterwards at your locals net access bandwidth limits.
I'm using a levelone wap-0007 to manage torrents from elsewhere if I really have to. However, I only used it a few times to test it and then got bored.

Download speeds correlate to your upload speeds, which are much slower on your ISP, while the server has very high upload speeds. Overall the downloads will be faster.

slygamer said:
Only on these forums could a topic about someone wanting to cancel a pre-order go on for two pages and still have no point.
Actually, i know a Swedish forum where they make it a sport, to keep pointless threads going, and with effort push them past 4, 5, and even 6 pages from time to time. You want the linky? Swedish, remember...
B!

Yigguth said:
You mean 3! :D

Great timing to have my pointless reply make it three pages. :)

Mr B said:
slygamer said:
Only on these forums could a topic about someone wanting to cancel a pre-order go on for two pages and still have no point.
Actually, i know a Swedish forum where they make it a sport, to keep pointless threads going, and with effort push them past 4, 5, and even 6 pages from time to time. You want the linky? Swedish, remember...
B!

You show me a Swedish forum where they make it a sport to keep pointless threads going, and I'll show you a country where its citizens really need to get out more.

BackAssward said:
VRAndy said:
WizardStan said:
Sounds like you purchased the Pandora without understanding what you were buying, and still don't fully understand the project. In which case, I fully support your decision to cancel your order.
I'm sure he's grateful that he has your full support.
I'm sure that all three received your understanding analysis and pleasantries with a satisfied feeling inside.

DHA said:
BackAssward said:
VRAndy said:
WizardStan said:
Sounds like you purchased the Pandora without understanding what you were buying, and still don't fully understand the project. In which case, I fully support your decision to cancel your order.
I'm sure he's grateful that he has your full support.
I'm sure that all three received your understanding analysis and pleasantries with a satisfied feeling inside.
I'm sure we are all completely placated with a deep warm fuzzy feeling and deserve a puppy.
manchester6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back