Pandora - I Want To Cancel My Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deso

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,

I've ordered the Pandora last year but i no longer have any use for it.
I've mailed several times to openpandoraorders@gmail.com but to no avail.
I haven't had a reply in over a week.

I would just like to get it over with.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

-Deso

not sure about this. as i used that email when i made my order.
try the GBAx site on the side is some contact info and even a telephone number try that
http://www.gbax.com/

Thanks!
If anyone's interested, going to buy myself a much cheaper Nokia N800, will let it download my torrents while I'm away.
This was my original use for the pandora.
Also, the pandora doesnt have a nice interface, and i really want a smooth and easy experience.

I'll try the sales adress.

Gruso said:
Deso said:
I've mailed several times to openpandoraorders@gmail.com but to no avail.
I haven't had a reply in over a week.
Try openpandorasales@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Deso said:
Thanks!
If anyone's interested, going to buy myself a much cheaper Nokia N800, will let it download my torrents while I'm away.
Also, the pandora doesnt have a nice interface, and i really want a smooth and easy experience.

I'll try the sales adress.

ahh the troll pops it's head out...

if in fact you are not a troll, the official interface hasn't exactly been finished/polished/released yet.

Torrents are possible with the pandora as much if not better than the N800.

Being a owner of a N810, I seen it as sorta lackluster. It doesn't get much use as I thought it would before I bought it. As a gaming device it's pretty crappy. As a MID it is decent, for emails etc, I perfer my smartphone over the N810.

If you truely see no need for the pandora, by all means, there's lots of people out there that want your slot. But I just don't want to see you kicking yourself in the butt later.

EDIT: I will look for the guide for you but if you have a somewhat newer smartphone there are remote torrent apps so you can query a download on your home PC, If you are looking for low power consumption there are routers / NAS's out there with built in HDD's and torrent clients that can do the job for you. Adding to the convience you can remote into the router via telnet client from anywhere and manage your downloads that way. If interested let me know.

Admittedly if you want something now, canceling the pre-order means getting your money back to buy something that's already released.

Deso said:
Thanks!
Sounds like you purchased the Pandora without understanding what you were buying, and still don't fully understand the project. In which case, I fully support your decision to cancel your order.

WizardStan said:
Sounds like you purchased the Pandora without understanding what you were buying, and still don't fully understand the project. In which case, I fully support your decision to cancel your order.
I'm sure he's grateful that he has your full support.

VRAndy said:
WizardStan said:
I'm attempting to stifle the wave of "don't cancel because blah blah blah" that always seems to flood these threads.

Its so funny that people worry about interface looks... They must have no idea what of software is available for linux.

Maemo will easily run on pandora although its less then legal. Mer should be good on pandora soon enough. Kde4 looks amazing and is getting gles compatible. etc...

VRAndy said:
WizardStan said:
I'm sure they are both grateful for your valuable and constructive input.

I never told him to cancel... I couldn't care less at this point. With the newsletter its not going to effect anyone but the original poster.

Not sure what to think of this thread. Seams some have confused the N800 with the N900, if it's the thread creator, or if it's some of the commentators, i don't know.
The N800 should indeed be cheaper, but also a lot less capable, a lot slower, and less flexible.
The N900 is more capable then the Panda, in some ways, and less capable in others. Fixed point, advantage Panda, memory, advantage N900. (with the 764MB NAND virtual memory) However, again, the panda has twice the internal NAND storage space of the N900 at 512 vs 256MB. (The N900 comes with 1GB total NAND.)
However, the keyboard (which i don't like my self) is better on the Panda, and some have persistently claimed a clamshell is a better design for a portable device.
I would argue that with a easy to use, and small space consuming when not in use, game controller, makes the N900 a better alternative for some potential buyers of the Panda, altho, costing in the area of twice the coins... Most will probably be arguing them self over the matter of "do i want to / can i live with the flaws of either platform?" and go with the cheapest alternative that suits the answer to the previews question.
If the Panda was made in a table top design, with slide out, or mounted on the sides of the screen gaming controls, I'd get the Panda in a heart beat. Now it looks more like a N900, and a Amiga emulator tho.

The N800 doesn't really play in the same league, just barely over half the CPU speed at default, and at the latest software two thirds of the N900 & Panda. And that is with a older architecture that reportedly was slower/ clock as well. Add to this a sad amount of memory, 128MB, and the same sad 256MB storage as the N900.

Panda vs N900, is a matter of preferences pretty much. Both of these vs the N800, is nothing but unfair. The poor N800 have been retailing since 2007...

As it stands, it's been pretty clear to me for a year or more that I'm not getting a Panda. I clearly prefer a table top design. I have yet to decide on the N900, but so far i doubt it. I'm going to wait and see if the rumored N920 is actually a fable, or an actual item. No keyboard at all should make it lighter, the software hooks for a OSD keyboard are already in place for the N900, so the software in the phones should be close to identical, meaning all the software will run on both systems, and most likely, with the similarity to the Panda, most softwares will cross-compile easily.
Just leaves me looking for a good way to add a controller to the rumored N920, and I'm home free.

greendots said:
Maemo will easily run on pandora although its less then legal.
Sorry, in what way did you intend the use of legal here? As far as i know as legislation comes a user is free to put Maemo on his, or her device as he or she has a whim to do so. I doubt it will be very smart to do so, since a console is all about uniformity. Software developed for a console depends on the hard, and software of said console to act and behave in a certain way around it. replacing something major as the OS is counter productive.
B!

I have an N810 and I'm pretty happy with it, it's okay at web browsing and ebooks, and the hardware is well designed. I've found being able to go online on trains and such without having to carry a laptop very useful. That said the community hasn't impressed me as much as the GP2X community did when mine still worked (I poured glue in it, don't ask), and for an open source device, the community is the main force driving it. The GP2X hardware wasn't that great, and yet I still had a lot more fun with it than I ever did with my DS.

Nitpicky points:
Mr B said:
The N900 is more capable then the Panda, in some ways, and less capable in others. Fixed point, advantage Panda, memory, advantage N900. (with the 764MB NAND virtual memory) However, again, the panda has twice the internal NAND storage space of the N900 at 512 vs 256MB. (The N900 comes with 1GB total NAND.)
Both the Pandora and N900 have 256MB of real memory.
Virtual memory could easily be put on the Pandora's SD card, it might be slightly slower, but virtual memory is already a huge slowdown compared to real RAM anyway.
Also it's not such a good idea to run virtual memory off NAND with limited writes anyway.
Core storage space is basically irrelevant as long as the OS fits, and I think 2 SDHC slots is better than the N900's 32GB built in secondary storage, especially since they can probably be firmware upgraded to SDXC slots later.

1) Install a DNS-323 NAS at home .. a network disk server, for storing your photos and such on. Set it up with RAID1 (disk mirroring) so it has 2 disks, and if one melts, you don't lose your data.
2) Port forward it from your router, so you can log into its torrent web agent form any machine while you're away.
3) Alternatively, just ssh into it and command line wget your .torrent files, and let it go that way

Course, if managing torrents interactively so much is needed, thats sort of crazy :) But more to point.. dou need the torrents in your pocket to watch/listen/whatever? Or you just managing them remotely?

Probably a lot of interesting solutions for that problem .. I just suggest a NAS above, since everyone should have one, to protec t their data from drive meltdowns.

jeff

for torrents you can also buy a webserver and put a client on there. speed'll be much faster than anything else you could do, since it's an actual server, plus you'll get more bandwidth than you could get at home, and you can have an interface to control it from any smartphone

migo said:
for torrents you can also buy a webserver and put a client on there. speed'll be much faster than anything else you could do, since it's an actual server, plus you'll get more bandwidth than you could get at home, and you can have an interface to control it from any smartphone

Or just use a cheap 'ol PC and keep it running at home. I ssh in to my home PC (running Debian), open up a new screen, use links (or lynx) to find a suitable torrent, download it then use btdownloadcurses to get the actual file. Works really well.

I think this guy must be one of teh gayz.

Cheap PC is nowhere near as good. You can't compete with the Swedes with a home connection, and if you're on a private tracker with ratios the only thing you can do is buy a server.

migo said:
Cheap PC is nowhere near as good. You can't compete with the Swedes with a home connection, and if you're on a private tracker with ratios the only thing you can do is buy a server.
It's actually pretty easy to compete with us Swedes when it comes to torrenting, especially since nobody torrents any more since the IPRED laws were introduced and the TPB went down. Or well, I do, but that's because I only ever torrent Linux ISOs.

And why not use a cheap PC? Do you actually think there's a difference between a *server computer* and a *PC computer*? Well, there isn't (fundamentally); get used to that thought. Just have a cheap PC turned on all the time, and voilà, you have a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back