Dynarec Completed For Psx4all Project.

so how bad is that bug? have you succeeded in launching some games? do they run great? or are the few games that launches completely bugged??

The whole community is crossing their fingers for you Zodttd and X-Code :D

By the way, what's up with Unai? there have been no news from him for a while :(

Mr.Unai is on holiday until the end of the month ( if I remember well lol ).

Some games did work, others didn't, I won't talk about performance of this particular version as I'm sure that the fixed one will be better B).

The main thing that I can just about let myself say is that the dynarec does actually work :).

I'm sure that once Mr.zodttd has his GP2X, the testing process will speed up... As for the severity of the bug, it's a bad one but that doesn't imply that it'll be hard to fix... It's upto Mr.zodttd to decide that.

OH NO ZODTTD!

pffff !

now i'll have to rip dozens of games to try them! :p
because of you i'll have to spend the night working on that :p
pfffff :p

:D

i finally succeeded in setting up Samba file sharing!!
B) I think i'll be ripping games for some times :D

mhhh As I post this i'm playing FF7 and i was wondering what Zodttd is gonna do with the scaling, as some of the text is hardly readable, especially in FF7' menues

Maybe integrate some zoom, instead of scaling?

btw i had a dream last night playing final fantasy 8 in a car. i don't remember what handheld i played it on but i'm sure the dream was caused by this project.... but it was a later version cuase it had sound ;)

i agree with X-Code : playing through USB Network is as fast as any SD Card...
In fact, it is even often speedier, since you don't need to use compressed ISO's

Hi everyone,

An update...It seems the GP2X is handling the dynarec differently than other ARM based handhelds I have (Sharp Zaurus is X-Scale) and Gizmondo (Samsung S3C...). I have attributed the bug to the insane "translation cache" subsystem I based off another open-sourced dynarec. I have now rewritten the caching system and am in the process of getting it working well.

Question: Does the GP2X use registers such as R9 like the PalmOS does for globals? Instances like this would throw off the dynarec. I'm trying to figure out how the GP2X would differ and make things not work. I also noticed on the GP2X I needed to allocate seperate buffers for each block of code to be run, instead of a single segmented huge buffer. So, any clues?

On a happier note, thanks to suggestions by Tinnus I have sped up the dynarec's translation portions by removing many needless instructions.

Work is being done to get the dynarec up and running for GP2X users, and optimizing for all users. I just am wondering why the GP2X is handling differently...weird.

reiboul posted on Aug 20 2006 at 04:24 PM said:
i agree with X-Code : playing through USB Network is as fast as any SD Card...
In fact, it is even often speedier, since you don't need to use compressed ISO's

What a orgy of copying and deleting if you use a sd-card to test and compare 60 or more games! :D
(but for playing i prefer the "unpluged" version!)

@zodttd
no idea for solving your buffer-problem, but it seems to me your break made you fit for the last quarter! ;)
keep up the great work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nr.56 posted on Aug 20 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
What a orgy of copying and deleting if you use a sd-card to test and compare 60 or more games! :D

dunno if its an orgy or at least a happy couple, as with two SD cards you just plug in and play on one while you're copying on the other one ..

torpor posted on Aug 20 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
Nr.56 posted on Aug 20 2006 at 04:51 PM said:

dunno if its an orgy or at least a happy couple, as with two SD cards you just plug in and play on one while you're copying on the other one ..

You have to admit that, once set up, Samba is wwaaayyy better for trying 60 PSX games :p

You have to admit that, once set up, Samba is wwaaayyy better for trying 60 PSX games :p

sure .. but even better (since you don't have to have another computer) is to just use a USB disk .. so the curve goes high.. point is: having two SD cards (i.e. "cardy"-net) is at least on the same line, if but a little lower, left, cheap, easy .. and doesn't require you to be cabled up to your PC, an already unhealthy face-hugger of life ..

its, like, the GP2X means you can get -away- from your PC hovel. y'know ..

talking about USH Disks... is there any EXT-to-USB cable anywhere? without having to use a breakout box... juste a simple cable, and a hub if necessary ;)

torpor posted on Aug 20 2006 at 07:11 PM said:

sure .. but even better (since you don't have to have another computer) is to just use a USB disk .. so the curve goes high.. point is: having two SD cards (i.e. "cardy"-net) is at least on the same line, if but a little lower, left, cheap, easy .. and doesn't require you to be cabled up to your PC, an already unhealthy face-hugger of life ..

its, like, the GP2X means you can get -away- from your PC hovel. y'know ..

only some questions:

if you do not own a computer, with what do you copy isos on sd-cards???
why should i connect my gp2x with a usb disc, when i own a 200gb hd in my pc???
where do you get a mobile powersuply for your usb-hd? Is a gp2x plugged on 2 cables mobile?
your solution is surly possible, but impracticable for TESTING 60 or more games! ;)

Samba Hooray!

Nr.56 posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:58 PM said:

errr... Did anybody buy a GP2X without having a computer??? :eek:

come on, you're discussing about two approaches that are totally different

in one hand we have portability, with that on mind, the best scenario is to copy everything on SD, then you can be anywhere you want and still have a good time

on the other, wired-up machine, you can have faster access to files and MUCH more space to enjoy your 200-or-so psx games collection perhaps even with some videos?

the best scenario in between these would be GP2X with SDIO wi-fi card, so one could use files on PC via a 802.11g connection, faster then SD and still capable of playing when you're in the bathroom or on your TV in the living room, the AC adapter and/or USB host + Wifi can be alternatives in some cases

for testing lots of games, no doubt, wired machine is the way to go

last but not least, great job, guys! astonishing!

reiboul posted on Aug 20 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
Nr.56 posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:58 PM said:

errr... Did anybody buy a GP2X without having a computer??? :eek:

I don`t belive that, because watching the menu is not very funny! :lol:

Lint, I think you are right! ;)

ermm .. the gp2x. ;) benefit of having fully-working USB: the gp2x *is* the PC!

but really: what i mean is that if you've got an SD-net going, you don't have to be *chained* to the PC. maybe you young punks like being chained to a face-sucker, but me .. i like to take my GP2x to the most comfortable part of the house while the computer is doing its thing in its little hovel ..

why should i connect my gp2x with a usb disc, when i own a 200gb hd in my pc???

because you don't want to be chained to your computer, and have a USB disc that works on your gp2x anyway ..

where do you get a mobile powersuply for your usb-hd?

my usb disk is battery-powered.. and as you can imagine (with 60 gigs) is perfectly useful for testing PSX ISO's, lol .. ;)

Is a gp2x plugged on 2 cables mobile?

sure. i just leave the disk in my briefcase, and kick it with the gp2x and its cable ..

the point i was making is that sure, Samba is great, but only if you wanna be chained to your PC!

your solution is surly possible, but impracticable for TESTING 60 or more games!

what the hell .. its practical to use two SD cards, whatever other options are out there .. Samba is not without its nuisance!

Back