Dvorak keyboard layout?

SoleGrave

I know it sounds ludicrous. But do you think its possible? Has anyone considered it? (cost and time not withstanding) How would the panda feel then? I am sure most of you would say the same?

Software-wise there shouldn't be anything stopping you. If you feel like trying, you can order a keymap and try to mod it, they are quite cheap (only a few euros.) Askarus modded his keymat to make it qwertz iirc.

Long time Dvorak typist, I also would like to see Pandora support it. I also seriously wonder how a modded keymat would work after serious hacking. There are only two keys in common between Qwerty and Dvorak, A and M.

After hacking the keymat, will loadkeys Dvorak put everything into place in software?

I have never purchased a Dvorak keyboard, and it has been a long time since I needed to actually change keys around on my board to know what I am typing but with out having both hands and all fingers typing I am sure I will need to see what I am doing with the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not?

Here's the way I would do it:

Get 4-5 spare keymats (They won't be that expensive).

Take a razerblade and cut our every single button.

Then put them into their housing. No glewing, simply put them inside.

And then have a lot of fun editing .pndxmodmap. :)

Your biggest problem will be getting well working buttons which don't feel strange while typing. It's really annoying, trust me.

It's also important to take out the board out carefully. You can easily break your microphone.

I use an external Dvorak keyboard with mine and it works fine, I'd like to see the Dvorak keyboard layout on there too, the thing is punctuation are on different keys to QWERTY so you'd have to compromise, unless you make a new keymat.

I have been thinking about this, but I think I'd go for stickers or something.

Cutting up a keyboard and replace the original with individual keys seems .. a bit risky and I'm not sure if the quality will be any decent.

I wouldn't think it would be too risky.. the keymats can be purchased from Craig or Micheal and you can always get a new one if you mess it up.

I'm thinking if you had some kind of square punch to cut out each key precisely, at least they would all fit into their new spots on the keymat perfectly. This wouldn't guarantee they'd all line up with the case properly though...

I have been thinking about this, but I think I'd go for stickers or something.

Cutting up a keyboard and replace the original with individual keys seems .. a bit risky and I'm not sure if the quality will be any decent.

Don't do it with at least one keymap backup.

If you do it wel there's no quality difference.

Thats what I mean. Due to the extreme amount of relocation, the keymat sounds unstable. Would it not be in ribbons being held together by the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I mean. Due to the extreme amount of relocation, the keymat sounds unstable. Would it not be in ribbons being held together by the case?

When I find some time I could try it for you.

At the Moment I don't have a razerblade to test it.

There's also some trouble because my studies start this weak.

In 1-2 Weakes it's no problem to do that simple test (and grab my razerblade from home ;) )

Back