changeable keyboard layout?

anomalous_underdog

Still Fresh
I'm wondering if it is somehow possible for the user to be able to change the keyboard layout like turning it into DVORAK or something similar to OPTI? Perhaps somehow being able to swap the labels on the buttons and change their config?

It's very easy to change the layout from qwerty to dvorak using Windows or Ubuntu. I never used Angstrom before, but I don't see why it shouldn't have a setting as basic and vital as that, but the Pandora uses its own special layout so maybe just some minor adjustment for usability? I think the designers already hadve these things in mind when they were design the Pandora keyboard though.

Btw, I spent a week learning to type in dvorak, then I quited because I didn't felt it was worth it. I have never experienced cramping typing with normal keyboard layout and I'm too dumb to think more than 100 words per minutes, so no need to try and type faster than my own thoughts.

I bought dvorak stickers on amazon.com that can be pasted on each of the keyboard's keys, but the Pandora keys are going to be pretty small.

When you run an Xserver (e.g. with ubuntu) it's very easy to remap every key with the 'xmodmap' tool. If you don't run an Xserver you can remap the keys directly in the Linux kernel (it keeps a keymap in kernel space. You just load a keymap from file using a tool.) BTW the Xserver takes its initial keymap from that same kernel keymap.

In other words, keyboard layout can be changed, whatever operating system/installation you run.

Back