Drmd V5 Beta 2 Released

When the heck did LCD start getting refresh rates?
Around the same time LCDs got V/H frequencies. You know, since for ever.
It for sure can show 60fps, overclock Drmd to the highest you can go and play Sonic 2 with 0 frame skip. Now turn it to frame skip 1, you for sure should see a difference.
There's a huge discrepancy between 60fps and 30fps. The question is if the gp2x can display 60fps, not if someone can recognise a 30fps difference in video.

I am not sure if you are kiding or not about in the first quote. They have response times I know that, there is no true refreshing of the whole image like a CRT. I am no tech wiz though.

As for the second one I understand he thinks it can not show 60fps, thats why I gave him a test to prove to him it can show 60fps, by compairing a 30fps game to a 60fps game.
Sync rate and refresh rate, while different, are somewhat analagous. If an LCD syncs at 60hz, it can display 60fps, just like if a CRT had a refresh rate of 60hz.

Like I said, there is a huge difference between 30 and 60fps. And OMG, everyone has the ability to tell the difference; they may need to be shown what to look for though. If someone says that the screen can't display 60fps, that means that it may still be able to display at 59fps (but not 60). However, the difference between 59 and 60fps to the human eye may be negligible. Understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
@zektor: What would be different when emulating with a bios file? I have never used an sms bios for emulation before (wouldn't even know where to get the rom)...

Graphical glitches in Lemmings 1 and 2. The background is corrupted, and it doesn't draw the frame correctly, so the mouse pointer thing leaves a trail.

When the heck did LCD start getting refresh rates?
Around the same time LCDs got V/H frequencies. You know, since for ever.
It for sure can show 60fps, overclock Drmd to the highest you can go and play Sonic 2 with 0 frame skip. Now turn it to frame skip 1, you for sure should see a difference.
There's a huge discrepancy between 60fps and 30fps. The question is if the gp2x can display 60fps, not if someone can recognise a 30fps difference in video.

I am not sure if you are kiding or not about in the first quote. They have response times I know that, there is no true refreshing of the whole image like a CRT. I am no tech wiz though.

As for the second one I understand he thinks it can not show 60fps, thats why I gave him a test to prove to him it can show 60fps, by compairing a 30fps game to a 60fps game.
Sync rate and refresh rate, while different, are somewhat analagous. If an LCD syncs at 60hz, it can display 60fps, just like if a CRT had a refresh rate of 60hz.

Like I said, there is a huge difference between 30 and 60fps. And OMG, everyone has the ability to tell the difference; they may need to be shown what to look for though. If someone says that the screen can't display 60fps, that means that it may still be able to display at 59fps (but not 60). However, the difference between 59 and 60fps to the human eye may be negligible. Understand?
I beg to differ. I have before tested my dad. He just cannot see above 25-30 fps. His eyes just arent the best bu a lot of people just would not notice the 30 - 60 fps jump. I mean you dont get people complaining about Pal 25 FPS television. I can tell the difference and hence my GP2x movies are sourced from 30FPS files instead.

@zektor: What would be different when emulating with a bios file? I have never used an sms bios for emulation before (wouldn't even know where to get the rom)...

I'd imagine it would *feel* better. Kinda like omitting the PSX startup logo/jingle. Just.. doesn't... feel... the... same.

And then there's the snail game... :ph34r:

I beg to differ. I have before tested my dad. He just cannot see above 25-30 fps. His eyes just arent the best bu a lot of people just would not notice the 30 - 60 fps jump. I mean you dont get people complaining about Pal 25 FPS television. I can tell the difference and hence my GP2x movies are sourced from 30FPS files instead.
I am assuming you meant 29.97 fps :) :p

I don't know what the refresh rate is on this LCD, but I don't think you can notice standard LCD refresh anyway, CRT redraws, therefore the technology is designed for quick fall off of the phosphorescence so that the picture will remain sharp.

LCD on the other hand have slower fall-off of the phosphors, thus why 60hz refresh bothers no-one on a standard LCD, but you may notice ghosting.

If indeed the LCD screen we have in the GP2X can go to say 75hz or 100hz I am very happy, it means that we don't need to worry about ghosting. I don't know if those LED's are flickering though, I get a powerful headache from those "energy saving" LED flashlights, the flickering kills me, If they regulate the voltage at something like 10mhz and filter it with a proper sized Capacitor (what the power supply chip in the GP2X does for the MMSP2) then it shouldn't bother anyone.

On the subject of 60fps vs 30fps, I am sure that we have at minimum 60fps, it is a "standard" for PC computers. I noticed the refresh of the LCD in my two GP2X's, that means we have a high-refresh/quick fall-off of phosphorescence. I never got to try the LCD tweaker when I had my GP2X's, I guess it raised the refresh rate on the screen, sounds perfect.

On the subject of FrameRate, I don't think the difference between 30fps and 60fps is enough to get excited about in a video, as long as the refresh stays at 60hz or above the eye cannot detect the difference, or at least isn't bothered by it.

At 25 to 30 FPS I am sure you can see the difference.

On Topic:I don't know what any of this has to do with playing emulated games. As for the games it is the timing you notice because you are interacting physically with the game, thus you need to time yourself against the game.

If the games timing is off and it is a game you played a lot on the real console then it is entirely possible to notice very very slight nuances in timing, because of "timing related tasks", such as jumping with Sonic and controlling his actions with precision to reach difficult moving platforms.

On rebuttal to the 60 FPS movie file:

Want it? I made it specifically for the GP2X so I can tell whether or not it can really display it.

While it isn't a exactly a 320x240 file (it's 304x224), it goes at a constant 60 FPS. Clip is right here. (SEIZURE WARNING)

Basically, it is a clip of a combo video of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and I want you to notice 2 things: 1. the characters are flashing, then 2. the WHOLE SCREEN FLASHES. They both flash at 60 hz (and I've checked it myself), which means they both go regular to change back and forth on each frame update (which the video goes at 60 FPS)

Watch it on your computer first. Then on the GP2X. If you have a MK1 and you can see 60 hz, you can clearly see the GP2X LCD struggling to display it. *wonders how mk2 fares...

In any case, I would call the LCD on MK1 GP2X about 45-50i (meaning max 45-50 interlaced)

^The gp2x video can not do 60fps, I already said that...

* Video Codec support: DivX (3.11, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x), XviD
* Format support: AVI
* Audio Formats: MP3, OGG
* Resolution: MAX 720*480
* Frame Rate: Max 30 fps
* Bit Rate: Video Max: 2500Kbps, Audio Max: 384Kbps
* Caption: SMI

This is taken from wiki, but known all over.

It does. I did it. It's wrong =)

The thing is anything over 30 FPS is not recommended because it usually comes from a high definition file and therefore takes up too much processing power.

I'd imagine it would *feel* better. Kinda like omitting the PSX startup logo/jingle. Just.. doesn't... feel... the... same.

And then there's the snail game... :ph34r:

Well, if you had owned an SMS back in the day, you would definitely recognize the familiar SMS jingle. As well as the hidden snail game :) I believe it to be a requirement to the whole SMS emulation experience. It's kind of like before you load a Genesis game and you see that "Sega" logo. Imagine if the emu just jumped to the game without that. Sure, some people might like that...but not me. It is just part of the experience, and I really like that! :)

On rebuttal to the 60 FPS movie file:

Want it? I made it specifically for the GP2X so I can tell whether or not it can really display it.

While it isn't a exactly a 320x240 file (it's 304x224), it goes at a constant 60 FPS. Clip is right here. (SEIZURE WARNING)

Basically, it is a clip of a combo video of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and I want you to notice 2 things: 1. the characters are flashing, then 2. the WHOLE SCREEN FLASHES. They both flash at 60 hz (and I've checked it myself), which means they both go regular to change back and forth on each frame update (which the video goes at 60 FPS)

Watch it on your computer first. Then on the GP2X. If you have a MK1 and you can see 60 hz, you can clearly see the GP2X LCD struggling to display it. *wonders how mk2 fares...

In any case, I would call the LCD on MK1 GP2X about 45-50i (meaning max 45-50 interlaced)

Interesting, what have you to say about what speed the ARM cores are running in the new mplayer, ostensibly to save battery life?

Also what about the Refresh rate (LCD Tweaker) tool? Have you tried that?

I am very curious to know exactly what is going on, and why are you guys all off-topic?

I understand the issue is the screen, but how does the media player prove anything? Does anyone know what settings it is using, LCD, CPU clocks, anything?

I guess if you could check it out with a high speed camera or an oscilliscope you could know for sure.

What about the LEDs? Are they on full time or flickering?

Big issue found today with the SMS emulation. In "Alex Kidd In Miracle World", you access the screen to select your inventory via the pause button on the real machine. Even tho I have the pause button configured in DrMD, it does not work...hence you cannot select inventory items.

Big issue found today with the SMS emulation. In "Alex Kidd In Miracle World", you access the screen to select your inventory via the pause button on the real machine. Even tho I have the pause button configured in DrMD, it does not work...hence you cannot select inventory items.

Works for me (I think)

Hi, AMAZING emulator, works really really well, infact it appears to be 100% accurate from everything I have seen so far. Desert Strike hangs just as you start a new game =/ (screen that shows the general pointing out map objectives)

Keep up the great work, expect a donation shortly.

Hi, AMAZING emulator, works really really well, infact it appears to be 100% accurate from everything I have seen so far. Desert Strike hangs just as you start a new game =/ (screen that shows the general pointing out map objectives)

I guess this is the same problem as with DrMD on the GP32. You have to press some of the buttons to pass it quickly. Try two or three times, it will work then. But if DrMDx suffers the same problem as DrMD then you wont be able to finish the first level anyway, the game will hang on the cinematic played when you rescue the M.I.A. pilot.

It does. I did it. It's wrong =)

The thing is anything over 30 FPS is not recommended because it usually comes from a high definition file and therefore takes up too much processing power.
Actually the GP2x is probably just uses a FS1 type thing.

just keep hitting fire

Back