Drmd V5 Beta 1 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reesy

Hi,

I've been working on DrMD lately and I've managed to add Master System support. This has required quite alot of work on the menu system, so while I'm working on Game Gear support I thought I'd release a new version for you lot to play with. If you find any bugs with the menu system please report them here and then I can fix them.

Reesy

Download can be found here: http://reesy.gp32x.de/DrMDv5b1.zip

Megadrive/Genesis roms go in: /mnt/sd/roms/megadrive
Master System roms go in: /mnt/sd/roms/sms

Just in case you want to know, this is from the readme:

What's New
Ver 5 beta 1
- Added Sega Master System support. This has meant a lot of changes to the menu code
hopefully I've not broken anything but with the amount of changes that I made I
wouldn't be surprised.
- Added cpu overclocking
- Increased amount of roms to 3000
- Fixed TV-out..maybe

/roms/megadrive - Megadrive/Genesis roms
/roms/sms - Master System roms

IMPORTANT! - directory names are case sensitive.

DrMD supports BIN and SMD Genesis rom formats
DrSMS supports SMS and BIN Master System rom formats
DrMD also supports the above formats while stored in compressed ZIP files.
*NOTE*
DrMD only has limited zip file support. It does not support more
than one genesis rom stored in a zip. DrMD will only load the first
file it finds stored in the zip file.

mattyrb posted on May 19 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
not making them 2 seperate apps then reesy?

I could have done but it means two copies of menu code to maintain. So since they share alot of components ( Z80 and sound cores etc ) I thought I may as well merge the two projects.

@iignotus: Do you mean keep in the configs and save states in the same directory as the DrMD executable? If so then it will probably work that way in the next release, its something I planned but have not got around to yet ( it will only take a couple of seconds to do but I keep forgetting :) )

@Vimacs: Hopefully TV out is fixed. Craig sent me a cable to test with but I only get a black and white picture when I use it. The picture fills the screen now so it should be okay. Vsync should not be a problem now as I have removed any VSYNC dependant code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesomeness. And thanks, Nubie, for the TXT reprint. Since I don't have a GP2X yet - it's kind of pointless for me to be downloadin' stuff, but still fun to read.

Just tried it out. some quick notes;

-new menus are nice (particularly with removal of diagonals), though I do see some text wrapping for long rom names

-tvout still does not work for me (I'm on NTSC)

-little bug--in my rom directory all my roms were zipped but one, and when drmd scanned the folder, it would always crash when it got to the one unzipped rom. Easy enough to fix as I just zipped that rom too, but just wanted to let you know.

Reesy posted on May 19 2006 at 01:55 PM said:
@iignotus: Do you mean keep in the configs and save states in the same directory as the DrMD executable? If so then it will probably work that way in the next release, its something I planned but have not got around to yet ( it will only take a couple of seconds to do but I keep forgetting :) )
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I'm just a bit of a neat freak. It goes without saying that your emulator is fantastic :D

Addendum: This version is very buggy indeed. I have a hard time getting genesis emulation working, though master system is excellent. How strange.
Add. 2: There's a bug where the end text of a rom whose filename is too long wraps over, but without a new line. Like if you were using a typewriter and did a Carriage Return but not a Line Feed.
Add. 3: Pushing and holding down takes way too long to register that you want to scroll down the list of roms.

Reesy posted on May 19 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
@Vimacs: Hopefully TV out is fixed. Craig sent me a cable to test with but I only get a black and white picture when I use it.

I supose you are useing a svideo -> scart adapter? if so there is a very easy fix, open the caseing and connect the pins on the svideo socket that are next to each other together, just drop a blob of solder there.
before: : :
after: =
this is a cheap way to "convert" the svieo signal in a composite signal that most tv's eat better.

wow !

this is the news i've been waiting for quite some times.
thanks, Reesy for your wonderful work.

and now, time for some testing

Works well, havent had any issues. cant wait for gamegear support too.

the menu system is better organised now.

the old drmd dir on the root directory is back though :( you moved all this into the same dir as the gpe on your prev beta (the one you removed due to graphic issues, athough it was perfect here!) it makes things alot cleaner for me.

EDIT: Also, full screen stretching doesnt seem to be working on the mastersystem (anyone want to confirm?) I've obv set it to FULL SCREEN from Normal and saved the settings but it's the same either way.

Great work man! The menu looks great now. Just a couple of quick notes as well:

- The Megadrive audio at 44Khz gives me a black screen when booting a ROM.
- At the button config screen, I get messed input when assigning either keys or directions in the pad. (I have nothing against teh default settings, just wanted to see if there was 6 button support).

Thansk a lot for the excellent work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back