Dreamcast Gd Replacement Drives

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
I just stumbled across a Hong Kong shop with several GD replacement drives for Dreamcast in stock, as well as laser units by themselves. I was going to order myself one, but thought I would ask around here to see if anyone else needed any as they offer volume discounts. For some reason, their Sega repair parts page is no longer linked to from their front page, but I did e-mail them, and they did say the GD units were in stock.

The product page is here:
http://www.project-design.com/RepairParts_Sega.htm

Pricing on the GD replacements is as follows:
>= 100
US$32.00

50 to 99
US$33.00

10 to 49
US$34.00

2 to 9
US$35.00

1 pcs
US$37.00

That's per each unit, of course.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if anyone wanted any before I tried to order.

Angel posted on Aug 14 2006 at 01:12 PM said:
yeah i need one of those..BUT..you can find a whole dreamcast unit on ebay, just the unit and nothing else for less than $37.

I agree. I have a used/retro shop that sells them for 25.00 refurbished with all cables and 1 controller. I love my Dreamcast. It was the first console that got me into homebrew apps/emu on a console.

In fact it was when I was at DCemu.com that I first saw an advert for the GP2X back in June/July of last year which led to me getting one when the MKII's came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel posted on Aug 14 2006 at 12:12 PM said:
yeah i need one of those..BUT..you can find a whole dreamcast unit on ebay, just the unit and nothing else for less than $37.

Only thing is, there's no guarentee that those have fully working laser units. Seriously, you would think that mine has a working laser unit, but it's very tempermental. It works on most games, but it cannot read through even the slightest smudge or scratch, it cannot read the homebrew CD-R games (this is recent, they worked last month), and some games require me to open the unit up and tweak the laser adjustment screw before thay will boot or load a level. I simply do not want to end up with another GD drive that has problems like those, and I just don't want to take the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I'm going to have to file that site away for future reference. My Dreamcast is working fine and I might be getting another one soon, "just in case", but even so, I wouldn't mind having parts to fix them if something happens to them. Too bad I don't have the money for it right now.

Back