Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

I hadn't really thought about it, although it's not that hard to add. For now you could ply them from the savestates..

Testet my Pandora today on the garden swing,

And it works realy good even in move..

And since the cheat support in Drastic is fixed yet, New Super Mario Bros is much better if whe have the Giant Mushroom..

One Question: is there Multiplayer Support yet

Example to play Mario Kart against other Players whit an Original DS ?? (Not via Internet as Nintendo Wifi Conektion isnt anymore but in lokal Multiplayer..

There isn't any kind of wifi/multiplayer emulation, although we're currently doing some experiments and thinking about how to do it. Lordus has been spearheading this effort, and I hope to help him too. Not sure how far we'll get and we're not making any promises or anything, but it'd be pretty cool if we could get something in, especially if it works between Pandora, Android, and PC (and maybe even a real DS? We don't know yet if this is at all viable using any kind of wifi hardware)

One thing to note is that we're only really considering emulating "NiFi", that is, DSes connected directly in close proximity. We don't know for sure if this will work reliably when transported over the internet, or if it's too latency sensitive. Connecting to WFC with friend codes and all that probably isn't going to be viable since Nintendo is shutting down the servers soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
since Nintendo is shutting down the servers soon.
So no internet multi player will be possible on real DSes anymore? Maybe someone will whip up a replacement server as an other project. Or do you think Nindendo could/would sue them?

You ditnt have to bring multiplayer on Pandora Drastic just for mee, i ditnt want to use Multiplayer often on the Pandora..
Also i have a 3DSXL which is also great for DS Multiplayer..
And the Pyra stands at the door..

How do you get Knytt Stories to work?
Very well indeed!

I created a drastic_dldi.img in ../appdata/DraStic/ and copied the data/ folder from the .zip to the image. When I try to run it I just get

"Error: no dldi"

For the drastic_dldi.img I used my Pandora and followed the instructions in the DraStic readme. I noticed that I can only write to the mount directory using sudo, is that the problem?
As Exophase says, you need an R4-patched Knytt.nds - get mine here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!z0gSSAaB!EI47Na5cen_Z0z7eBB9600Dz9v-_6MYxNvk37PgKh6Q

D.

So no internet multi player will be possible on real DSes anymore? Maybe someone will whip up a replacement server as an other project. Or do you think Nindendo could/would sue them?
Yeah, it's not a good situation. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/the-day-the-mario-kart-died-nintendos-killswitch-and-the-future-of-online-consoles/

There are already efforts underway to make unofficial servers. http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/ I doubt Nintendo will sue them. It's not really in their best interests and they wouldn't have much of a case anyway. But the tricky thing is that I thought (someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong) that the Nintendo devices connect to some fixed host name or even IP. So I'd think you'd need to at least have a special DNS server in place or some other kind of override and therefore it wouldn't work on a normal internet access point out of the box.

Tunneling a local NiFi connection over the internet may also be possible. Some effort was made towards this: http://akkit.org/dstunnel/ There have been some similar tunneling efforts to augment LAN-based gameplay of Gamecube games. Now that the servers are being shut down I could see renewed interest in this sort of thing. Any game this works well with should also work well with an emulated approach. Emulators also have the added benefit of not needing DS compatible wifi hardware, so we could end up seeing them gain more traction, if they can do NiFI well.

You ditnt have to bring multiplayer on Pandora Drastic just for mee, i ditnt want to use Multiplayer often on the Pandora.. Also i have a 3DSXL which is also great for DS Multiplayer.. And the Pyra stands at the door..
There are thousands of people who want this.. people need to trade their pokemans >_>

If it's doing an address lookup you could add a line or two to your hosts file to supercede the DNS system.  If it's hardcoded to IP address it's less clear, but it might fall under the umbrella of NAT technologies to map the old IP to the new one.

Bit weird that they're switching off the servers now while their current handheld and home consoles both support the previous gen still.  Though DS online was a bit of a joke as it needed 802.11b wifi, and was a bit of a dog in MarioKart anyway.  Hope they don't turn off the 3DS and WiiU servers so soon after the next gen is released - though since those systems are OTA upgradeable perhaps they could keep things like Miiverse working while turning off the game servers.

If it's doing an address lookup you could add a line or two to your hosts file to supercede the DNS system.  If it's hardcoded to IP address it's less clear, but it might fall under the umbrella of NAT technologies to map the old IP to the new one.
Sure, that works fine if you're emulating it (the emulator itself could possibly even translate IPs). What I'm referring to is connecting the original hardware to the server. hosts file wouldn't be involved unless you use a PC as a gateway, which most people won't want to do. You should be able to configure a router to use some special DNS instead of whatever DHCP gives it, to get the right IP for the server.

I doubt even Nintendo is crazy enough to use fixed IPs in their games, but who knows.

Wouldn't most people be using a special AP just for DS internet play already though? I mean, the DS doesn't even support WPA, and nobody would want to use WEP or no encryption at all on their wireless, right?

Sorry yeah, hosts file won't save you on a real DS, although if your router is running anything sensible, that should have its own hosts file you can use to add extra/override IP lookups, assuming the DHCP points DNS lookups at the router's own DNS servers.

It's a while since I've taken a DS online, but IIRC you could even set your DNS settings on the DS if you wanted to.

If a lengthy key helps, it hasn't been cracked. AFAICT the protocol is still safe, only users are too ignorant/lazy to provide enough entropy. And that isn't news.

There are already efforts underway to make unofficial servers. http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/ I doubt Nintendo will sue them. It's not really in their best interests and they wouldn't have much of a case anyway. But the tricky thing is that I thought (someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong) that the Nintendo devices connect to some fixed host name or even IP. So I'd think you'd need to at least have a special DNS server in place or some other kind of override and therefore it wouldn't work on a normal internet access point out of the box.
All the WFC servers are looked up via simple DNS, so simply setting your own custom DNS server will work around that. The issue is during the authentication part of connection, the DS connects to a server through SSL and verifies that the server's SSL cert is signed by Nintendo's CA. Unless their CA private key gets compromised (not happening) or some flaw is found in their WiFi library, ROMs will have to be edited to either force that step to happen in plaintext or through other methods.

We've actually made some breakthroughs on that front. We already have methods for patching DS games and a couple methods for patching Wii games to remove encryption, along with a couple people having some groundwork for custom servers already done. I would say that supporting games on the internet would still be viable for this reason, plus the fact that DS to DS communication is done over Wi-Fi as well in hardware AFAIK so once one is done I can't imagine the other being too difficult.

Back