Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

ANybody have tried snes or genesis emu on DraStic emu?
Why do you want to run an emulator in an emulator?
wnEUJS4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
hum, it's old news but I just noticed this was released by smealum... now I need to check whether that work in Drastic...

http://smealum.net/ASDS/
It *should* but if it doesn't come with any maps built into the .nds file, you won't be able to play anything.

Edit: No, it probably won't work as it auto-creates a folder on your flashcart, which requires DLDI to do so will likely fail.

D.

hum, it's old news but I just noticed this was released by smealum... now I need to check whether that work in Drastic...

http://smealum.net/ASDS/
It *should* but if it doesn't come with any maps built into the .nds file, you won't be able to play anything.

Edit: No, it probably won't work as it auto-creates a folder on your flashcart, which requires DLDI to do so will likely fail.

D.
It does work.

It just doesn't load custom maps yet.

Looks cool, but the game would be 10x more playable if it had a reticle. (judging from what I saw in the video)

-God Ginrai

When I try to play Golden Sun 2 on Drastic r2.2.0.0p it was a little slow why? I have 1 GHz rebirth ED.
It's just a very demanding game to emulate. I could list some reasons why but they're pretty boring and technical and probably not what you're looking for.

When I try to play Golden Sun 2 on Drastic r2.2.0.0p it was a little slow why? I have 1 GHz rebirth ED.
It's just a very demanding game to emulate. I could list some reasons why but they're pretty boring and technical and probably not what you're looking for.
Can you provide a rundown all the same? I do like reading them even if I don't understand everything! :)

Can you provide a rundown all the same? I do like reading them even if I don't understand everything! :)
The CPU load is very high. It has these complex idle loops that can't be detected/eliminated. So it wastes a ton of time doing almost nothing. Worst of all, it uses sequences of instructions that save and restore flags here, and those are expensive to emulate because they check for interrupts and do a bunch of other slow stuff. These are actually code blocks that almost every game uses to some extent, they're probably in some Nintendo library, I'm considering HLEing it to make it a little faster. But some games use them a lot more heavily than others, Golden Sun uses them probably 10x as much because they're in the idle loop (another game that does this is Alice in Wonderland).

Also, it's constantly modifying code in ITCM (fast instruction scratchpad). We're talking tens of thousands of modifications per second. This is detected in the emulation, so it can recompile blocks around the very hot areas and perform indirect branches to different code blocks instead of having to flush anything. But this still adds a lot of overhead for every time a code modification is detected.

It can use 3D pretty heavily, including some things that need better optimization. And it does this really weird thing with the screen where it DMAs data to it every scanline right before it's rendered. I don't know of any other game that does this. This breaks the way DraStic normally handles rendering so it has to specially detect it and it and it adds more overhead. This also prevents it from rendering the 2D for both screens simultaneously on multiple threads, but that doesn't change anything for the Pandora version.

AFAIK, the audio is also played at a really high sample rate, common for Camelot games. Actually, it's common for them to have lots of really weird code in general.

I have a strange issue in Plants VS Zombies, seems like sometimes the game becomes faster, seems to me like a too high frameskip, but it is set to auto... this happens almost in the plants selection screen, just before starting a game, and when there are too many zombies and plants fighting... seems like the swimming pool levels are more affected than the others, maybe because of the rain/mist...

I'm playing a bit with the emulator options to see if something changes

Turn on the speed counters and see if it's reporting > 100% for the first number. Make sure you don't have fast-forward on.

Turn on the speed counters and see if it's reporting > 100% for the first number. Make sure you don't have fast-forward on.
Mostly stays at 95% but sometimes becomes crazy and goes from 110% to 140% i think, because the value changes too fast to be read correctly... anyway after some seconds it returns stable to 95 and the sound returns right

Back