Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Will there be a screen rotation function ?

To play games like Brain Training without using the Pandora like a book...
It depends on whether or not the hardware can do it. If /dev/fb1 can handle it but /dev/fb0 can't it'll end up being a feature that's only useable with a uniform scaling mode. It'd probably be two 480x360 windows which would at least not leave a lot of black space (just 80 columns)

If the overlay hardware can't rotate then I'll probably hold off on this, at least for a while.

Exophase, on question regarding having a single screen filling up the screen vs having two. It seems there is a performance loss when in single screen, is it related to the scaleup operation ? how much speed is lost there ?

Let me rephrase this :

If I compare the same game running :

- dual-screens on the Pandora

- showing only a single DS screen on the Pandora, scaled-up to fit

it seems like the single screen mode make things slower. Is it just me, or is there something slowing things down a bit ?

I understand what you're saying, I just am not aware of such a thing happening. Turn off frameskip and turn on the perf counter and read back the first percentage to see if it's really running slower.

Thank you for the update!

I just wanna point out that it still bugs at the teleporter for me in Chrono Trigger. Instead of a crash i get a black top screen with a scrambled bottom sreen. Here's the same state as before, for testing: http://www.mediafire.com/?lzdfw788zxur5l4

I love the 2x,1x option!

Thank you!

Wow this emulator is slick!

Was trying out a Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer. Only issue I can see is on the mini map the monster/character are triangles instead of squares... And stairs are an upside down u instead of squares.

I can get screen caps if they are necessary.

Thanks for this!

Exophase, no big deal for me, but two games still have serious issue :

- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's inside's story / still crashing apparently

- Mario vs. Donkey Kong - Mini-Land Mayhem / not passing past the file selection screen. 

Since most of the other crashes seem to be resolved, I thought I would point these to you. 

I already know the issue with Mario & Luigi, but since even if fixed it'd still have a major performance problem (recompilation hell) I haven't worked with it.

Didn't think the other one was crashing though.

It is a little heavy but it works pretty good.  The quality of the screen sucks though.

IMG_20130306_190927.JPG

- Mario vs. Donkey Kong - Mini-Land Mayhem / not passing past the file selection screen. 
... is not "crashing" per se, it just stays on a black screen. The emulator is still active and it is possible to return to the menu. 

I have not been able to replicate this at all... give it long enough (usually several seconds at 850mhz) and it proceeds past this point. (I assume it to be doing a lot of processing of some kind during the blackout)  Possibly the wait is somewhat longer at 600mhz?

- Neelix

Ah yeah I remember that happening now.

Last edited by a moderator:
>... is not "crashing" per se, it just stays on a black screen. The emulator is still active and it is possible to return to the menu. 

I have not been able to replicate this at all... give it long enough (usually several seconds at 850mhz) and it proceeds past this point. (I assume it to be doing a lot of processing of some kind during the blackout)  Possibly the wait is somewhat longer at 600mhz?

- Neelix
Allright, I will try that. I have waited at least 10 seconds, but maybe I need to wait more. 

I had to wait a long time when I was running it on PC. That was at full speed (but no faster), so if it's running at well under full speed you'll have to wait an even longer time.

Well this version is definately an improvement.

Project Rub/Feel the magic works now! :)

It feels a bit more snappier and the screen scaling options are nice. The video of the TV split option is pure winning! :)

Back