Dragonbox Pyra Discord : REBORN

There are. I personally use matrix.org, as it has a gateway to freenode (IRC).

To join the pyra room in freenode using a matrix client (that is, "riot" on mobile devices, "nheko" on Linux), you have to use the following room name:

#freenode_#dragonbox-pyra:matrix.org

Be patient the first time you connect to a IRC room through the matrix.org gateway (don't know why), but after some minutes it will work almost as good as a "Native" riot room -- almost because i've experienced splits from time to time, but that's the nature of IRC...

Pros: a modern client comparable to Telegram, access to freenode, logs, and multi-device support (you can access from both you PC and you mobie devices, replying from one device removes the notifications in the others, etc). You also gain federation as in XMPP (but it's not XMPP) and ability setting up your own matrix server (it's similar to setting up an XMPP server).

Cons: another messaging network! Your friends will kill you, because you converted them to telegram, signal, threeema or whatever X-). Also: lots of rough edges (nheko is under heavy development, the current server is a reference server in python, etc).

Thank you :)
I will try it.
Don't care about converting friends. I will not replace my messenger with it.
As long as I can get IRC logs easily I'm happy :)
Currently compiling.

There are. I personally use matrix.org, as it has a gateway to freenode (IRC).

To join the pyra room in freenode using a matrix client (that is, "riot" on mobile devices, "nheko" on Linux), you have to use the following room name:

#freenode_#dragonbox-pyra:matrix.org

Be patient the first time you connect to a IRC room through the matrix.org gateway (don't know why), but after some minutes it will work almost as good as a "Native" riot room -- almost because i've experienced splits from time to time, but that's the nature of IRC...

Pros: a modern client comparable to Telegram, access to freenode, logs, and multi-device support (you can access from both you PC and you mobie devices, replying from one device removes the notifications in the others, etc). You also gain federation as in XMPP (but it's not XMPP) and ability setting up your own matrix server (it's similar to setting up an XMPP server).

Cons: another messaging network! Your friends will kill you, because you converted them to telegram, signal, threeema or whatever X-). Also: lots of rough edges (nheko is under heavy development, the current server is a reference server in python, etc).

I'm doing practically the same, but with XMPP. The XMPP server must have an IRC gateway component, e.g. biboumi. E.g. for the XMPP server movim.eu, the address of the channel would be #dragonbox-pyra%irc.freenode.net@irc.movim.eu. I have also installed biboumi at my works XMPP server, so me and my colleagues can join IRC channels instead of working. As with Matrix, it takes some time to get into the room (20..30 seconds, I guess).

Pros:
  • modern clients, like Gajim on PC, Conversations on Android, ChatSecure on iOS
  • access to IRC channels, like they were MUCs (= multi user chat in XMPP lingo)
  • logs
  • multi-device support
  • ability setting up your own XMPP server (start with: $ sudo apt install prosody prosody-modules biboumi certbot)
Cons:
  • your friends will kill you, because you tell them since 20 years about XMPP, while they changed their messenger 20 times
  • server side software is so stable, that it is almost boring
  • clients change rapidly and might have rough edges
  • everybody is on a different server (at Matrix 95% of users seem to live on matrix.org, which makes things easier)
  • for IRC, you need a server with IRC gateway, e.g. movim.eu or your own one - most public XMPP servers don't have it

Keeping in contact with my old team mates, we used xmpp to begin with. We had trouble finding an xmpp provider that didn't fall over fairly often. Since a couple of years ago, we've switched to using Slack but with an xmpp for old hackers like me, which has much better uptimes but doesn't do any kind of pre-login logging, unlike the old jabber servers, which would give you a few lines of context.

Is the Discord server still up? The link no longer works, and I can't tell from the conversation if the server is now gone. If so, no big deal, as I still use Matrix to pop into the IRC chat sometimes. Let me know if I could get a fresh invite link if it's still up :)
Narr I ended up leaving because only like 3 members joined in the span of a year and it wasn't active at all.
So RIP :(

@Klumpen

Unfortunately a number of sites are starting to use that new clause now. Indiegogo made the same change a while ago. In their case, it's a lot more dubious when you consider what they are trying to stop

Unfortunately a number of sites are starting to use that new clause now.

I've not read the text yet, but it sounds like the sort of thing that's been in the EULAs you get with CDs and things. And not enforceable in the EU and probably not in AUS by the way.

I'm confused by this opt-out. Can you do that and continue to use discord? Normally for most consumer agreements if you disagree you're supposed to stop using it and destroy all copies and stuff like that.

I emailed them yesterday, and there definitely wasn't any kind of automated response to confirm they got it. I'm wondering if they'll even reply back at all. Anyone got a response back on the arbitration clause when opting out?

I would so much prefer something persistent.
I'm at European time and don't have an always on machine.
I would be so much more active if I could read some logs and not loose everything that's posted when I'm not online.
I find IRC horrible.

Let's make a Telegram group for everything ;)

I know this is a fairly late comment, but you might be interested in a bouncer: https://wiki.znc.in/ZNC

(if that Matrix solution didn't appeal to you)

-God Ginrai

Back