Dragonbox Pyra Discord : REBORN

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kippykip, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

I didn't like how short lived @Wally 's discord channel lasted due to complaints that we could just use the IRC.
    But I think it's a great idea as with discord, we can post screen-shots of our projects and have a voice chat to discuss everything!

So I've created a large number of channels based on certain topics:

capture.png
    Hopefully that's organised enough! :cool:

I've also added some emotions to the server, more can be added overtime of course!:happy:
    capture.png

Now if you're a forum Administrator/Moderator just PM me on this forum with your discord username and I'll give you the roles!

Have fun everyone!
    https://discord.gg/zdCCtm9

Alperoot likes this.
  2. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

I'm not sure how this works, but would it not dilute existing activities on this forum/IRC by having more channels available on different places?

Happy to be proven wrong though :)

rygD likes this.
  3. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Hardcore Member

I was thinking the same, I have and use discord but I wouldn't want it to take away information away from the forums. Sharing the same info like wally's initial setup would be a better solution imho. ;)

Kippykip and rygD like this.
  4. notaz

notaz Certified Guru

Haven't even heard about this thing until these threads started popping up.

Sumpfmonster likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally I am a banana! Staff Member

Apologies for it being so short-lived. There was some developers who found it annoying and people popping into IRC complaining about it being non-free. Glad someone else took it on and would be happy to be part of this one :)

Kippykip likes this.
  6. Binky

Binky Death's Steed Staff Member

"Instant messengers come, and instant messengers go, but IRC lives on forever!"

7. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

Well the main reason is for voice chat and screenshots which IRC doesn't support, but up to yall.
    Well even if it's non-free, you can still use Discord via open source web browsers :cool:

8. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

Guess we can complain about it being non-free here.

Mumble , tox, Linphone and Ring are better alternatives.

ED already has a Nextcloud and it is really trivial to add WebRTC support on it. Could even use jit.si for a similar, but other peoples server, no account videochat.

rygD likes this.
  9. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

FWIW, AtC shared a screenshot with us yesterday on IRC. I guess it needed him to upload it to his webserver first, but it proves it's possible on IRC ;)

10. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

I suppose it's a lot easier just to CTRL+V a image directly into discord rather than upload to imgur or something and share the link onto an IRC, but that's my opinion anyways

levi likes this.
  11. Elw3

Elw3 ƐʍlƎ

Some clients can do that too. Dont blame IRC for missing stuff when in fact you just use the wrong client.
    Try that for example: https://kiwiirc.com/

Sumpfmonster and Kippykip like this.
  12. AnimatedFreak

AnimatedFreak Very Active Member

TheOldOne and Kippykip like this.
  13. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor Member

I felt really bad when Wally closed down his effort after my complaint post. Wally, my apologies I did not mean to convince you to kill the idea. I thought about it a bit and here is some run down of some thinking on this in general:

// Here are my negatives on the idea:

* Discord is an insult to anyone that values freedom. I am not signing up for yet another fucking online account for some bullshit just so that the vendor can misues their power. The story is always the same: it's all shits and giggles at first but then the vendor needs to make money and all of a sudden your information is theirs.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT.

Sorry, this is a 100% do not pass go failure. Irc does not require signing up and this forum has a login but it is for the project so I am fine okay with that.

Us old fogeys knew this was coming since the web started to become a thing. Hell, RMS saw it happening in the 70's. Fuck that, I'm out and that is why I'm here supporting Pyra (hopefully supporting the project well into the future).

* There just aren't enough people on this forum or the irc channel. Hell, the pre-orders are just over 1000 units. Not bad but this isn't a 100 000 unit project with the requisite community to go along with it. Instead of having one additional Discord channel, there are now 7 fucking channels. Jesus fucking christ. IRC is barely active with 95 logged in members + bots, the forums have some activity but not much ... just how much value do you think you are providing by splitting up the community that far?

The mind simply boggles. People would rather grandstand and sign up for various bullshit services and pretend they are providing value INSTEAD OF providing content which is the real value that anyone cares about.

// However, after reflection, here is why I am wrong:

* This isn't my project.

* This isn't necessarily my community either. I'm assuming that FREEDOM is a key purchasing requirement for this project because it is for me. Clearly, some don't give a fuck about FREEDOM, I am in no place to tell anyone what to do. There are going to be shades of gray here and everyone needs to be free to choose their own road.

* Lastly, when I thought about it, I really want this project to succeed way beyond the 1000 units pre-sold. I want ED to get rich doing this, I want tons of spinoffs and I want ED and everyone else to start thinking about how to ramp up production, lower cost and expand the user base. Maybe as the projects rolls forward we can all chip in and start doing a little bit of semi-pro to pro level rah rah promotion to help this project get to wherever ED wants it to go. I want you guys to start getting rich selling games FIRST on the Pyra (and it's successors) and then porting them to other platforms. I want you guys to think up cool ways to use the device and maybe see if there are other niches that it can be used for.

So yeah, maybe just go ahead and create a ton of resources on line, make some noise. The only thing I would ask is that you do it with class, style and energy. You gotta keep up the energy and pace once you open up a new resource, it cannot go stale before production starts.

As for me, I WILL NEVER sign up for any social media platform ever again. NEVER. The events of last few weeks here in North America have proven RMS more right than I could have ever imagined. I will help, but this forum and IRC is as far as I go.

Robert.

MaxLanar, cube48, Alperoot and 11 others like this.
  14. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I think there is a Pyra forum somewhere that should allow images to be shared, too.

As for voice, if people really want to speak to discuss things I guess that is a plus. If.

xnopasaranx and Kippykip like this.
  15. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

The pyras non-spying features as a solid bonus to any failure to value them as primary reasons to get one.
    Tying into this discord network, with software that for the aforementioned ease of mind, cant be shipped on an actual pyra,
    to talk to pyra users, is a non-starter.

16. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

Well I honestly use discord because Skype went to shit, and turned out way better.

17. Wally

Nobody is asking for it to be shipped on a Pyra.. We just want to make it easier for people to chat..

Kippykip likes this.
  18. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

How is it easier than irc?

tarator likes this.
  19. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Hardcore Member

For me discord is just a convenient way to have multiple gaming communities in one spot. I think that's what it is intended for in the first place. Also it keeps a nice history so I won't have to keep track of everything on a daily base.

20. Wally

You don't need to remember servers or see verbose output every time and that can be problematic for some :p

Kippykip likes this.