Draft Page Brainstorming

Go go Mr.Gonzo, i would love to see such a zombie smashing game lol ;) looks really good.

You know what'd be good, a kind of point and click version of the film "saw"

You could have loads of different levels getting harder and harder, and as you get through one scenario, you unlock the next. Could even have alternate endings like taking saw 1 as an example, if you found the key for the shackle in the bath at the start, then you get the best ending, if you saw your foot off, the ending is obviously going to be a bit worse.

Not strictly on topic, but just thought of it while watching saw 1 (by FAR the best one, not even bothered to see saw 5, I doubt it makes much sense) and I wanted to post it somewhere.

Eniko said:
jdh2550 said:
@Eniko: FWIW, I prefer the first mocked up image more than the second in-game shot. This is meant as constructive criticism - not a bash. Perhaps use pixel doubling? Or just make a more pronounced black outline on the sprites? Just my 2 cents worth.

Some people prefer the first version, some the latter. The first actually does employ pixel doubling, with scale2x scaling and bilinear filtering sampled over that. The latter is just 1:1 and doubling would probably make things too big.

I'm 90% sure I'll go with the doubled stuff, both because I have concerns about the small sprites on the Pandora screen and because it drastically cuts the workload, but I'm leaving my options open until I actually see how it all plays out on the actual machine. :)

Thanks for the input though!

The first one does look better and the second one might have some detail issues one some things, like selecting very small objects so the first one would be good most of the time but I still think the larger image is more useful/functional. There probably would be time when you are shooting off of the screen in the first one and to get a sense of what is going on around you the wider shoot camera angle would be better.
Just think of how many times you end up navigating by mini map in MMOs.

I think an option in the preference menu or if you could manage it a button line select to quick change between the two. You could even have a hybrid mode that automatically switches to wide camera when shooting a bow and close camera when using melee (or some thing else along those lines as they prove to be annoying or useful. I don't know if this would mean tuns more work for you or if it could even easily be pulled of with out a program restart or some thing similar. It sounds a little unlikely to me but it would be a nice touch to have some zoom levels in between that it could slide between according to some auto camera logic. This might allow things like a slight zoom out wile running and a zoom in wile more or less stationary. It could even be smart like a slight zoom out for bow use and a further zoom if the mouse clicks to the edge of the screen and arrows are shooting of the screen at enemies.

But maybe I a have got my head to full of ideas that are to hard to code and would be to hard. You did say it would be a basic MMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
the original poster should post something like this in the developer section, it will probably get more serious response and interests.

Eniko said:
Some people prefer the first version, some the latter. The first actually does employ pixel doubling, with scale2x scaling and bilinear filtering sampled over that. The latter is just 1:1 and doubling would probably make things too big.

Eniko, they are both nice and I suspect you will end up using the first so that it is visible. But that second pic is gorgeous - it's the type of pic that makes me want more...

Game_over said:
The idea is simple, either:

*Create a page showing some early game assets
*Create a page showing a concept for your menu, and in-game hud

Great starting point for game development for smaller/independent games. Try it and post it here.

I like your idea of a 'splashpage' to give a flavour, and although your art is fine, I'm not entirely sure that your splash tells me personally very much about your game. Maybe it just needed a few more clues.

But I like the idea and it has started a potentially interesting thread. :)

Mr.Gonzo said:
Point and click + platform controls ( prince of persia / oddworld / black thorne - ish )
About a poor Office worker of a Water bottling company cought in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.
Will discover something mucho obscure about his company. ;)
The retro Pixel Art looks like we easily can draw our own Levels. :) I also can imagine such a oldschool Graphic within a modern Engine. Imagine real Physic effects when you can throw various objects against Enemies etc... or building barricades or pushing Zombies downstairs... ^_^

fusion_power said:
The retro Pixel Art looks like we easily can draw our own Levels. :) I also can imagine such a oldschool Graphic within a modern Engine. Imagine real Physic effects when you can throw various objects against Enemies etc... or building barricades or pushing Zombies downstairs... ^_^
I do... I do imagine that :D <homer>huuummm.... </homer>

I'm usually not really into gaming but you've got some nice things there...

BTW, does anybody here know Questionable Content (webcomic)? Pintsize might be a nice character for some game :D ...

eksasol said:
the original poster should post something like this in the developer section, it will probably get more serious response and interests.
I don't know, I can see the merit of having it here. Not everyone goes to the development forums and filtering out relevant info on software you like can take a while in there, what with every app and game having it's own thread. Here one could simply browse through one thread and see a small showcase of what's coming. If anything looks interesting and you want more info, head over to the dev forums.

fusion_power said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
Point and click + platform controls ( prince of persia / oddworld / black thorne - ish )
About a poor Office worker of a Water bottling company cought in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.
Will discover something mucho obscure about his company. ;)

Yummy... Let's hope iprice isn't busy for too long.
ahaha and theres already a sweet scenario and sweet ideas already on paper for this game :)
The story is fuckin cool!

Eniko said:
So this is like a quick little showcase of what you're working on for the community at large right? Interesting.

forest2xbilinear.jpg

screenshot200812271928350.png

As of yet unnamed MMO. Former is a mockup, latter is an actual screenshot from the client as it stands. I'll need to see it on an actual Pandora to decide what version I'll go with, high res or upscaled low res. Probably the top one, though.
:eek: one of your characters there is Jesus!

I'll have some better examples later on both mario and two more games. Are there any more game ideas you guys have/games you are working on, or would like to see?

Post em here!

Game_over said:
I did use a reference image from my gba super mario world game manual (its actually a pretty good reference detailing all his moves). Totally legal, but more so...it's art.
no, I'm afraid that using a copyrighted image as a reference is considered creating a derivative work, and that's not allowed unless you have permission from the copyright holder.

Also, I'm quite sure that nintendo has taken all of the steps (copyrights, trademarks, etc.) needed to prevent anybody else from producing a mario based game, since it is one of their main franchises, so you would be safer creating a character from scratch

there are about 20 mario fangames made a day
there is about 20 new sprite comics made a day
there is about 20 new mario roms posted a day
there are about 20 boring rehashed official mario games regurgitated by nintendo that their brainless fanboys eat up a day
but i don't see nintendo prosecuting anyone- at least not large amounts of people. i doubt they plan on releasing a game on the pandora and so far nintendo hasn't sued THAT many people who werent causing them financial harm

PoisonedV said:
there are about 20 boring rehashed official mario games regurgitated by nintendo that their brainless fanboys eat up a day

:lol: Ain't that the truth. But lots of people still buy them.

valhalla said:
Game_over said:
I did use a reference image from my gba super mario world game manual (its actually a pretty good reference detailing all his moves). Totally legal, but more so...it's art.
no, I'm afraid that using a copyrighted image as a reference is considered creating a derivative work, and that's not allowed unless you have permission from the copyright holder.

Also, I'm quite sure that nintendo has taken all of the steps (copyrights, trademarks, etc.) needed to prevent anybody else from producing a mario based game, since it is one of their main franchises, so you would be safer creating a character from scratch

Actually it is common practice in digital art to utilized an image (most of which are usually copyrighted) as reference to create some form of art, especially if you don't intend to sale/distribute with means of making money. What I'm doing is legal, as it's only a fan game (homebrew).

In other news: heres another simple (kinda bare...sorry) example of what I initially thought retro_shooter (my game) was going to be.

1-bit.png

lol I actually almost did think about doing that awhile back, I have one sitting next to me. but if you notice there is a third color. Not a bad idea if I'm in the mood to give everyone a headache ;) .

:D 1 more to wrap up 2008!

gosuka.png

I hope you guys have a safe and happy new year! I'm off to get ready for some serious event/party hopping, as despite the negative image America has right now, this is an awesome place to be, plus....we sure now how to party around this time of year! But seriously, 2009, I feel, is going to be a year of repair on all fronts. I also feel that open source is going to play a key role in allot of areas, so I seriously wish the best for all that has a hand in it somewhere especially Craig and Co, with the Pandora; and also GPH with the Wiz.

This year was a hell of a ride but a fun one for all of us that made it this far, thanks to Hando and all the mods for stepping up your game and keeping this forum from falling in the wayside.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

-Pat

P.S. "Hellollo" is the official Quote of the Year!

Back