Drawing With Inkscape On The Pandora

BTW, speaking of the touchscreen... Are these actually capable of recognizing variable pressure? Or do they just have 'click' and 'no-click'?

(BTW2: I just experimented with my Wacom tablet. The pressure-sensitivity is achieved through the pen, not the tablet. Just thinking about a bluetooth-stylus with pressure sensitivity...)

Hooka said:
PoisonedV said:
I agreed!

I use Inkscape all the time on my laptop, and although I find it isn't a very fitting drawing app for something like the pandora, it will be something that can be ported fairly easy (or is already running) and will give people something to draw on the pandora with. And how much is it gonna cost us professionals to get Adobe Illustrator on our Pandora's?... Oh, right... I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but I do dislike the fact that you're sitting here bashing stuff for a reason that is totally irrelevant to the topic here. Why do you have such a hard on for bashing OSS?!? You're sitting in an OSS nest, a place where a new breed can grow! :p Either, sit back and enjoy your free ride, or Get the Fuck out imo...

*Note: Sorry about my colorful language, but I like to swear and do it frequently in real life tbh

if it's totally irrelevant, then why do you continue to comment on it? (commenting on something I didn't bring up in the first place.)

ALSO WOW THAT WAS A REAL CLEVER QUOTE TEEHEE

either stop taking everything so personally 'or Get the Fuck out imo...'

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Inkscape daily, and right now on my Aspire1 laptop with a 1024x600 screen, its more than adequate - okay, it'd be nice to have a 24" screen in my pocket, but wtf, yo?! Pandora+Inkscape == WORKS!! Yay!

And it won't be long until the mobile-device GUI for Inkscape makes the main tree, and then nobody will give a shit about toolbars disappearing off the edge of the screen, anyway.

In short: I hope we can run Inkscape on Pandora out of the box. I'm sure we will. I, for one, will be using Inkscape to make artwork for my Pandora projects. Hell, for that matter, I'll probably even be *compiling on the Pandora itself*, so suck it ..

I work in graphic design, and having always had the luxury of access to commercial software since before open source alternatives became readily available, I’ve never really had any reason to do any real work with free software. I’ve played with GIMP, and would agree that the interface is a little bit annoying when you’re used to Photoshop, but if you know what you’re doing with one graphics editing program, it’s not that hard to adapt to another. However, if you’ve got Photoshop installed on the same machine on which you’re playing with GIMP, you probably won’t spend very long trying to find the GIMP way of doing things before saying “screw this” and double clicking on the PS icon.

For me, Pandora changes everything, and gives me a real reason to start used open source graphics software. The thought of having an idea and starting work on it straight away, rather than sketching on a piece of paper or just trying to remember it is very appealing to me. The fact that Pandora has SD card slots, like my cameras, means I could potentially walk around with a graphics studio in my pockets, and knock out some artwork anywhere.

If I was a millionaire, I would pay some developers to make a Pandora equivalent of the Adobe CSx suite. I would love to see GIMP, Inkscape, an HTML editor (Nvu may be?), possibly Scribus and ideally a Flash equivalent, all tied together with a unified interface specially tailored to the Pandora’s screen. I was a bit skeptical when Adobe started to introduce their unified interface, but it does make it very easy to switch between applications, as once you’ve learned one application, you should be able to find your way around any of the others.

The relatively small screen is not ideal, but doesn’t necessarily stop Pandora being useful. I envisage that when using graphics applications you would have the stylus in one hand, and use the shoulder button and D-Pad (or game buttons if you’re a leftie) whilst holding the machine with your other hand. If you could show/hide all of you tool bars and pallets (like pressing Tab in Photoshop), zoom in and out, and pan around the image you’re working one, without changing the position of your other hand, I think you could be fairly productive. Using the analogues could also open up some interesting possibilities.

I don’t in any way see Pandora replacing any of my graphics workstations, but I think it could be a very useful additional tool.

And seeing as we’re all swearing in this thread now SHITCOCKS!

V, if you don't like the program, then just skip over the threads discussing it. It's better for everyone that way.

As for pressure sensitivity, it's explained in a bit of detail here.

monkeyo2 said:
If I was a millionaire, I would pay some developers to make a Pandora equivalent of the Adobe CSx suite. I would love to see GIMP, Inkscape, an HTML editor (Nvu may be?), possibly Scribus and ideally a Flash equivalent, all tied together with a unified interface specially tailored to the Pandora’s screen. I was a bit skeptical when Adobe started to introduce their unified interface, but it does make it very easy to switch between applications, as once you’ve learned one application, you should be able to find your way around any of the others.

The relatively small screen is not ideal, but doesn’t necessarily stop Pandora being useful. I envisage that when using graphics applications you would have the stylus in one hand, and use the shoulder button and D-Pad (or game buttons if you’re a leftie) whilst holding the machine with your other hand. If you could show/hide all of you tool bars and pallets (like pressing Tab in Photoshop), zoom in and out, and pan around the image you’re working one, without changing the position of your other hand, I think you could be fairly productive. Using the analogues could also open up some interesting possibilities.

On the mobile Photoshop, there is one option, they have a version you can play with in your browser, if this will work on the Pandora, I don't know. Also it seems that a mobile Adobe version is possible, I was over at Adobe Labs site yesterday (I needed to upgrade to CS4, though I had CS2, I didn't have flash, and just splurged on the lot of it, work will give me something back anyway) but there is a Beta for Photoshop for Windows Smartphones. While I realize that the OS is different, don't these use similar processors? So a non windows version is possible.

Also having the quick menus, check out !Colors on the Nintendo DS, look it up on youtube, it is very nice where the shoulder buttons bring stuff up and so does the dpad for zooming and color picker. I like the way that !Colors does this so much, I really wish that Photoshop and Painter had a tool that I could bring the color picker up under my curser with one click to save time rather than going back and forth to the edge of the screen.

bitz_dv said:
On the mobile Photoshop, there is one option, they have a version you can play with in your browser, if this will work on the Pandora, I don't know. Also it seems that a mobile Adobe version is possible, I was over at Adobe Labs site yesterday (I needed to upgrade to CS4, though I had CS2, I didn't have flash, and just splurged on the lot of it, work will give me something back anyway) but there is a Beta for Photoshop for Windows Smartphones. While I realize that the OS is different, don't these use similar processors? So a non windows version is possible.

Also having the quick menus, check out !Colors on the Nintendo DS, look it up on youtube, it is very nice where the shoulder buttons bring stuff up and so does the dpad for zooming and color picker. I like the way that !Colors does this so much, I really wish that Photoshop and Painter had a tool that I could bring the color picker up under my curser with one click to save time rather than going back and forth to the edge of the screen.
I'm pretty sure Photoshop Express, or what ever it's called now, uses Flash, so probably won't be usable on Pandora (at least not straight away.....), and Photoshop.com Mobile appears to just be a photo uploader for their online services rather than the mobile Photoshop that the name would imply. (InContext Editing looks as though it might be interesting to DreamWeaver users though)

I have played with Colors! on my Sister's DS as it's pretty cool (anyone who doubts it is possible to produce artwork on Pandora's small screen really should look at their gallery). If a Colors! like interface could be combined with GIMP and Inkscape's tools, I think we'd have yet another killer application for Pandora!

(Edit: Spelling and forgot to mention Inkscape to get back on topic!)

fahrstuhl said:
BTW, speaking of the touchscreen... Are these actually capable of recognizing variable pressure? Or do they just have 'click' and 'no-click'?
I've been messing around with the driver, and yes it can do some pressure sensing, returns around 16 different values for pressure.

For those interested how it will be exposed, it will be (already is, actually) accessible through standard Linux event interface (raw values), or tslib (calibrated).

notaz said:
fahrstuhl said:
I've been messing around with the driver, and yes it can do some pressure sensing, returns around 16 different values for pressure.

For those interested how it will be exposed, it will be (already is, actually) accessible through standard Linux event interface (raw values), or tslib (calibrated).

Awesome! :D

adamorjames said:
notaz said:
fahrstuhl said:

Awesome! :D

Hits the nail on the head. Very nice, 16 pressure-levels aren't bad. This makes drawing with GIMP on the Pandora even cooler. xD (And probably also with Inkscape but I've never tried that so I don't know x) )

yappe53 said:
but is it single touch? or multi?
? The Pandora? Its a single touch, normal touchscreen
So, compared to a multitouch screen:
+ More accurate (when using a stylus.)
+ Can be triggered by anything applying pressure of surface like stylus/glove, unlike multitouch.
+ capable of registering different levels of pressure (16 apparently).
- Less accurate when using something blunt, like a finger.
- can only select one item at a time.

For drawing, I would suspect it beats a multitouch system hands down.

Just to bring this into perspective, here are a few things drawn with Colors! DS, a homebrew drawing application for Nintendo DS (which, by the way, also uses a resistive touch screen):

_3461.jpg

_6857.jpg

_5597.jpg

_7147.jpg

_6737.jpg

These things will be easily possible with the GIMP running on a Pandora. Given you have the skills, of course ;)

Esn said:
something called "Wine-Doors":

Does this mean that it would be possible to run it on the Pandora?
Sadly not. Wine isn't an emulator, it's a wrapper that lets x86 windows code run on a linux machine (basically it contains a reimplementation of the windows api)

It doesn't provide a system to emulate an x86 CPU on an arm based platform. Even if it could, it's likely it wouldn't be very fast (386 kinda speed, which wouldn't be good enough for modern windows apps)

Esn said:
My favourite painting program is ArtRage. It was not made for Linux, but apparently it can run with something called "Wine-Doors":
http://thedarkmaster.wordpress.com/2007/08...ith-wine-doors/

Does this mean that it would be possible to run it on the Pandora?

No, and it's a blooming shame; ArtRage is magnabulous. I have it installed on my old and crappy Fujitsu Stylistic 4120 tablet and it's basically the only thing I even use that tablet for anymore.[*]

With Pandora'a (alleged) 16 levels of pressure sensitivity in the touchscreen, a good sketching app (maybe not as elaborate as ArtRage, though) would be fantastic to use. Even the half-finished, semi-demo drawing apps on the N800 are pretty usable.

________

[*] Actually, it does have lots of pr0n, but OTOH it's way to heavy for one hand. :rolleyes:

Support for extended input devices has been added. (Inkscape)

* The Calligraphy tool now has optional pressure and tilt support from an input device such as a tablet. Pressure can be used to alter the width of the pen and tilt can be used to alter the angle of the pen's nib.

* A standard input device dialog has been added (in File menu). Input device settings are saved to and loaded from the preferences.

Back