Drawing With Inkscape On The Pandora

I've never worked with "Inkscape" so how usable is this programm? (Example: GIMP is NOT usable! And Adobe Illustrator Isn't too. :D ) I still have nightmares of trying to work serious with GIMP. Even GimpShop wasn't the real thing. For me, Photoshop is much more easy to use and I'm absolutely not a Photoshop-Pro. Gimp is just ...weird... and far away from intuitive and beginner friendly.
Inkscape is a Vector Drawing Programm? good. I've tried one Open Source Vector Graphic programm, it was DRAW from Open Office. For serious work not very useful too. Even Open Office 3.0 has NO Anti-Aliasing for verctor objects in Draw (!!!)...very poor especialy because I had to use it at Work for some serious graphic projects...brrrr.....

Well, I only need the Pandora just for fun and not for work but a easy to use Drawing programm (Pixel or Vector) would be very very nice and I would be very glad if such a thing find it's way onto the Pandora. :)

The rest is onto the Stylus. The friction onto the Touchscreen is very important for drawing, there need to be a resistance like a pen onto paper and not like a piece of hard plastic onto glass. ^^"""" I really want to see the final Pandora Stylus as soon as possible. :)

well, to see how inkscape will be like on pandora, just compile the latest svn or use some recent svn-snapshot. If you have ever worked with a vector-oriented drawing application before, inkscape should be really easy to master.
Eitherway, if you don't think a programm is intuitive, take some time and tutorials. There are amazing tutorials for inkscape, blender, gimp, whatsoever.

Personally, I very much prefer gimp over photoshop for what I'm doing. Same to inkscape over Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. That doesn't mean if you don't like gimp, you won't like Inkscape, either ;)

conso said:
look at this: http://screencasters.heathenx.org/wp-conte...p067/ep067.html

Thanks for posting that link, it has raised my Pandora excitment levels right up again after a bit of a barren patch this last week! The smoothing function is exactly the sort of thing I'd been hoping be able to use on Pandora, and Spiro looks pretty good too!

I think you'll always like the Vector drawing package you learned to use first the most, and for me that was CorelDRAW. I use Illustrator much more these days (mainly as it produces files that actually work properly when you send them off to a commercial printer!), but often find myself wondering why some things are much more complex and fiddly than they are in Corel. I also really like drawing in Flash, the way it smooths out lines as you're drawing makes drawing a lot of fun (if you're into that sort of thing). Inkscape looks like it combines the bézier tools I like from Corel with the smoothing tools I like from Flash! I would download it right now and play with it all night if I didn't have to go to work tomorrow.

I also noticed with great interest that the Screencasters demo was captured in a 900x650 sized window (not a million miles away from Pandora's resolution), and the guy didn't really use the full screen area to work in. If this all runs on Pandora at a usable speed, it really is going to be the best thing ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
monkeyo2 said:
I think you'll always like the Vector drawing package you learned to use first the most

Personally my first was Adobe Illustrator and I loathe it with so much of a vengeance that I've never bothered with vectors since. :p This one looks like it might change my opinion on such matters though.

Eniko said:
Personally my first was Adobe Illustrator and I loathe it with so much of a vengeance that I've never bothered with vectors since. :p This one looks like it might change my opinion on such matters though.
:lol: I know what you mean, but if you'd started using it regularly, and then switched to Corel, or heaven forbid, Freehand, I still maintain that you'd probably hate them even more!

Back