Drawing With Inkscape On The Pandora

Phawx

Professional Derailer
I would like to use InkScape to draw some stuff on my Pandora when I get it. Possibly to create some assets for that Citadel game.

I've seen Wacom have a screen that can be drawn on, but I don't know if the screen was resistive. Plus the size of the screen might be a problem as well.

The screen should be 3.7" wide and 2.2" high, it might be just large enough to actually get something done on it, I would think think with inkscape the drawing process should be easier with certain 'helper' tools. Stuff that helps curve a line and such.

Has anyone drawn on a resistive touch screen with a full features drawing app like InkScape?

i tried using inkscape
i sucked :(
what is open up with the interface

in after grammar

what's wrong with inkscape? It's not that bad, just takes a while to get used to.

why do open source fanboys expect everyone to move to open source programs? if it takes large amounts of effort, no ones going to change

Phawx said:
I would like to use InkScape to draw some stuff on my Pandora when I get it. Possibly to create some assets for that Citadel game.

I've seen Wacom have a screen that can be drawn on, but I don't know if the screen was resistive. Plus the size of the screen might be a problem as well.

The screen should be 3.7" wide and 2.2" high, it might be just large enough to actually get something done on it, I would think think with inkscape the drawing process should be easier with certain 'helper' tools. Stuff that helps curve a line and such.

Has anyone drawn on a resistive touch screen with a full features drawing app like InkScape?
The only real problem I see is the toolbox. It would need to be modified to let the window be less then 800px in height.

Last edited by a moderator:
PoisonedV said:
why do open source fanboys expect everyone to move to open source programs? if it takes large amounts of effort, no ones going to change
noone? wtf... millions of people use inkscape, so who do you call noone?

Nobody wants you to use inkscape, use whatever you want. I don't know any vector-grapic program that is easyer to learn and understand while offering a decent amount of features then inkscape. I like it much better then corel draw and that's not because it's open source.

PoisonedV said:
I don't expect anyone to move to it, but it's not as bad as you say it is.

conso said:
The only real problem I see is the toolbox. It would need to be modified to let the window be less then 800px in height.
It would be best to separate the toolbox completely from the canvas (if possible). A keypress to activate/de-activate a full screen toolbox would be a lot better on portable devices IMO.

conso said:
PoisonedV said:
noone? wtf... millions of people use inkscape, so who do you call noone?

Nobody wants you to use inkscape, use whatever you want. I don't know any vector-grapic program that is easyer to learn and understand while offering a decent amount of features then inkscape. I like it much better then corel draw and that's not because it's open source.

no ones going to change. how many industry professionals use inkscape compared to illustrator? and I didn't mean "me" i meant people in generally, and if you ignore the large push of open source bloggers and everyone else i guess youd be right

PoisonedV said:
no ones going to change. how many industry professionals use inkscape compared to illustrator? and I didn't mean "me" i meant people in generally, and if you ignore the large push of open source bloggers and everyone else i guess youd be right

Heh... Some 12 years ago, quite a few people were making the same remarks that you've made about Inkscape (and other FOSS software) and now we're seeing smartphones, netbooks, etc. being made with some of that same stuff that "nobody was going to change over"... (Hint: You wouldn't even HAVE a Pandora to bicker about if it weren't for one of those pieces of software...).

Say what you will. If it's got potential it'll get used. It'll get refined. If it doesn't, it won't matter- moreover, few will even suggest it in the first place. ;)

[edit]

By the way, PoisonedV, you DO realize that pros use something other than Photoshop for Movie frame editing/retouch, right? It's called Cinepaint and it's been used with things like Lord of the Rings, The Last Samurai, the Harry Potter movies, etc.

Hollywood would disagree with you, you know... :D

PoisonedV said:
i tried using inkscape
i sucked :(
what is open with the interface
I did try inkscape and I am using it. It was a peace of cake after freehand and illustrator. It is a very good software, I can't see your problem.

As someone with pretty decent artistic abilities, traditional and digital, I can vouch for gimp and inkscape, but not necessarily on a screen that freaking small. This has nothing to do with the capabilities of open source software, mind. Few fully featured creative applications open source or proprietary lend themselves well to any screen under eight inches.

In general though, gimp and inkscape are more than adequate. Gimp has its universally maligned interface (which is improving, notably in 2.6), but it's still a very powerful raster graphics editor in its own right. It should not be judged on a scale of "is photoshop" to "is not photoshop". Inkscape for some reason seems to have absorbed some spillover contempt from gimp, despite having a finely polished interface that kicks the crap out of flash and illustrator, and a featureset to match. I've even heard that illustrator until recently couldn't do translucency gradients which was downright bizarre, while inkscape has supported this for years. Of course there's a learning curve, there's a learning curve for all new software. If you found an application that required absolutely -no- learning, you've probably got an inferior product.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to move to open source software for the sake of it, but there's no reason not to suggest that said people should consider moving to viable, free, legally unambiguous alternatives.

Hi, PoisonedV.

Jeez Poison, way to answer the question and keep the thread on-topic...

I've used mypaint (has pressure sensitivity, different brushes, etc.) on my nokia n810, which I'm almost sure has a resistive screen, and it worked pretty dang well. The pandora's screen will probably be better than the n810's (which isn't exactly the god of touchscreens), so I would bet inkscape would work decently, as far as the touchscreen goes. I don't know that much about vector graphics, though, so I'm not sure how much processing power it requires.

Phawx said:

In response to the Wacom screen, the product line you refer to is the Cintiq line. They are essentially monitors with a penabled surface underneath them, and a protective surface above. These screens are actually not touch screen at all, and only work with the specialized Wacom pens. The difference in screens like the Pandora's and Cintiqs are about 1,000 levels of pressure sensitivity, support for buttons on the actual pen (stylus) and sensing things like barrel rotation, tilt and so on. I don't know If I can see editing vectors on the Pandora, raster painting would work well (I enjoy using !ColorsDS on my Nintendo DS, wich has a similar touch screen)
I would be totally open to trying InkScape on the Pando, but I think size and accuracy of the touch screen are going to be an issue, maybe if the physical controls on the unit are precise enough it will be possible. I also look forward to using Gimp or a ported version of !Colors as the developer is willing to release the source (hint, hint).

Closest I can think of was the Tapwave Zodiac's Paint Forge... was interesting to use, but definitely not fully featured. It didn't use pressure sensing, so much as the analog's position (Up & down affected transparency and left right affected width). That was a pretty awesome paint program imo.

I think in some ways I prefer it to my tablet pc with the electronic pen with buttons.

So never doubt the need for a drawing program on any system, someone will want it ;)

absolofdoom said:
Jeez Poison, way to answer the question and keep the thread on-topic...
Jeeze, absolofdoom, WAY TO CONTINUE THE OFF TOPIC TANGENT AND SOLICIT A RESPONSE ;)

PoisonedV said:
I agreed!

I use Inkscape all the time on my laptop, and although I find it isn't a very fitting drawing app for something like the pandora, it will be something that can be ported fairly easy (or is already running) and will give people something to draw on the pandora with. And how much is it gonna cost us professionals to get Adobe Illustrator on our Pandora's?... Oh, right... I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but I do dislike the fact that you're sitting here bashing stuff for a reason that is totally irrelevant to the topic here. Why do you have such a hard on for bashing OSS?!? You're sitting in an OSS nest, a place where a new breed can grow! :p Either, sit back and enjoy your free ride, or Get the Fuck out imo...

*Note: Sorry about my colorful language, but I like to swear and do it frequently in real life tbh

Back