Dosbox Ready For Pandora

Pickle said:
Some other games that come mind are some of the original RTS games like warcraft1 and dune. These should be playable and will be fun with the touchscreen.
Ooooert, Dune 2 should be good! I'm assuming you mean Dune 2, since Dune wasn't an RTS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eniko said:
Pickle said:
Some other games that come mind are some of the original RTS games like warcraft1 and dune. These should be playable and will be fun with the touchscreen.
Ooooert, Dune 2 should be good! I'm assuming you mean Dune 2, since Dune wasn't an RTS.
yeah thats it

ha, whacky. Theres numerous roguelikes that would be playable..

But being linux, you get the real deals; Nethack, all the million rogue games, angband, etc. I wonder if Dwarf Fortress could be pulled over..

There'll be no end of roguelikes :)

jeff

From dwarfwiki:

Requires Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, or newer
Dwarf Fortress loves as much raw CPU power as you can provide it with. Recommended:
Core2: 1.4GHz or higher
Pentium 4: 3.0GHz or higher
Athlon: 3000+ or higher

So no, dwarf fortress could never run on Pandora :(

joshwaan2k said:
What do you guys reckon the chance of getting Black Throne to work full speed?

It required 6500 Cycles to run it on my xbox console.
looks like we are a way away from that.

Another group of games that i think might good are the wing commander types, at least 1 and 2 and maybe privater.

The ST Civ is pretty faithful (nearly identical to the DOS one), but there are othe Civ variations for DOS. (There was a Civ 2 I think, prior to Test of Time, maybe for DOS? ToT was Win32 for sure, but theres a pile of Civ variations in that era.)

BTW, I take care of the ST emus, and those wil be ready ASAP. (ie: I've got Outcast ready for a shitty port already, and first couple weeks when I have my panda there will be lots of improvements of course. Only so much you can do without a device :)

jeff

I could simcity all day long :D

simcity_classic.jpg

Hey guys, with the ram upgrade, is playable Blood now possible?

It's one of my all time favorite FPS, and so I have to ask. :lol:

Hey Pickle, will having a Pandora make much of a difference to the port?

Blood is based on the duke3d engine. I don't know but if it is based on build maybe you can get it running with ffduke or something.

mcobit said:
Blood is based on the duke3d engine. I don't know but if it is based on build maybe you can get it running with ffduke or something.

Blood will run extremely slowly in dosbox on pandora. The source code hasn't been released either, so it's unfortunately very unlikely that we'll see it working :(

A_Llama said:
mcobit said:

Blood will run extremely slowly in dosbox on pandora. The source code hasn't been released either, so it's unfortunately very unlikely that we'll see it working :(

Wasn't the source for Duke Nukem 3D released though? I thought Linux had a good port, or am I mistaken?

imec said:
Wasn't the source for Duke Nukem 3D released though? I thought Linux had a good port, or am I mistaken?
The GP2X had a port, so it's extremely likely the Pandora will too at some stage.

A_Llama said:
mcobit said:
Not only has the source code not been released, all searches I've performed lead me to believe it was in fact lost. Best effort currently seems to be at Transfusion
Looks to still be incomplete, and work has stalled, but perhaps someone could pick up the torch and generate a Pandora port.
And it's not just a matter of getting the Duke source and modifying it: Duke, Blood, and one other game for which I've forgotten the name all used the BUILD engine. But BUILD is just a basic engine. It's not like you just add models and maps and get a game. Each game had a lot of specific code and functions on top of the engine. It's that game specific code that has been lost to time.

sold said:
Hey Pickle, will having a Pandora make much of a difference to the port?

Not really, the only thing that was done the release 0.72 version was apply the dynamic arm source files. Is that what your asking?

I was wondering, would accessing things like the dsp and gpu give a performance increase, and is it possible to code for the hardware at that kind of level at the moment?

sold said:
I was wondering, would accessing things like the dsp and gpu give a performance increase, and is it possible to code for the hardware at that kind of level at the moment?

I dont think we need to use the gpu (opengl es), as I think there is separate 2d hw in the cortex. SDL would need to be changed to use it. Notaz said it was untopmized so I assume the cpu is doing all the work blitting. Once this is done the the cpu cycles used for the blit can be used for other things. I dont know how much we would gain.

Ive thought the dsp might be usable for things like sb emulation, but something like that would be a challenge i think. Also some profiling numbers that were done showed only a couple percentage points used by sound.
The CPU emulation is the big consumer of cycles, and the best thing that could be done was finish the dynamic core which was finished a while ago.

So in short I dont think theres much that could be done to give a real huge jump in performance. We might see a little bit with the hw accel SDL.

Pickle said:
So in short I dont think theres much that could be done to give a real huge jump in performance. We might see a little bit with the hw accel SDL.
I see HW acc in SDL as quite important for the Pandora's future, as basically anything running on it will be using it. If not it's just another framebuffer device, of which there has been just too many. Might also reduce power consumption. In dosbox's case, giving the CPU more time to work on, well, CPU work sounds like a good idea to me.

Back