Dosbox 0.70 - Coming Soon I Think....

bOingball

Still Fresh
Hi All,

It's bOingball who compiled DOSBOX 0.65 for the Gp2x last year.

I just noticed tonight that 0.70 has been released by the main DOSBOX team so it might be worth while to get it ported over again.

It took me about a week to get the 0.65 version done and thats when i had a linux box to compile it.

Now I'll do a 0.70 port but I'm just in need of some help as it's been a long time since I ported the last one.
(it's my first and only port I've ever done... and really I'm not a dev person ;) )

I think I used DreamLinux and installed a toolchain to get the compiler working.

Now can someone suggest the best toolchain to use so I can start on this port?

Regards
bOing

Cheers :) never heard of it though so sorry I didn't know about it :(

Just reading looks good, if it gets the job done, jobs a goodun ;)

Thank you Blah!

(I've not kept up with the gp2x since last year, it's a long story but I'm about still as I still love my gp2x ;) )

Also my Linux Distro of choice is downloading now. (dreamlinux - as ubuntu won't work on my fussy spare PC)

Might want to get in touch with Zodttd. He was talking of doing some work on dosbox (a dynarec?). Also, he'll probably be able to help you with a toolchain - at least, he's compiling things and they're running well... I assume he has some kind of decent toolchain going.

Looking forward to seeing a new dosbox. I have tyrian going on the gba, but dosbox could be so much better. Especially if things like the second cpu can used (if neccessary, I suspect it is). Have fun... :)

Thanks for the heads up about the release.

I downloaded the Mac OS X version, it's really quite good now. The Dyna Rec makes Frontier fly!

A dyna rec for the GP2X version would be great, but that would mean writing from scratch as I believe only the Intel chipset is currently supported.

It would be great to see dosbox0.70 in GP2X. The new version on PC is quite much much faster and if we get a faster Dosbox for the GP2x too it would be great (though I am not sure whether the optimizations on the PC version have to do with the dynamic or improve the normal core too).

bOingball,

As suggested you could take a peek at the Open2x tool-chains (There is info in the WiKi link in my sig), it depends on your OS however as for example none of the GNU tool-chains (Open2x or otherwise) work on Vista currently.

If you need a little help getting started then pop into #GP2XDev on EfNet as there is almost always somebody around who will be willing to help you get setup and working.

Thank you all for the quick and great help on this mini project.

I'm posting this from Dreamlinux 2.2 on my mainrig via. a LiveCD thats now installing to another partition (I got bored and clicked browser in the menu lol)

I've got Vista Ultimate as my Main Partition so Grubs having some issues dual booting but I'll get them sorted in the next 30minutes (after 5 reinstalls of Linux)

I've added the changed for the gp2x version of dosbox to the 0.70 source code on my windows desktop. so hopfully it's just a matter of getting the toolchain up and running and getting the compiling going to end up with a hopfully faster copy of DosBox 0.70.

After the first ones been compiled and running i will have a look at the source to see if I can at least make it a little better for the GP2x, I can't promise nothing as my programming skills are below par to all the dev's on here.

But I'll cludge through etc.

Speak to yas soon and hopfully will have a very easly release in the next few days.

bOing

I'm currently working on a Open2x devkit solution for windows based on CoLinux. As you stated you had no LinuxBox running i thought it might interest you. Its not completely finished yet.. its still missing some important libraries you might want to employ.

I'll try to upload it in the next days. Monitor the wiki over the next days for updates :)

StarG posted on Mar 19 2007 at 02:56 PM said:
I'm currently working on a Open2x devkit solution for windows based on CoLinux. As you stated you had no LinuxBox running i thought it might interest you. Its not completely finished yet.. its still missing some important libraries you might want to employ.

I'll try to upload it in the next days. Monitor the wiki over the next days for updates :)
ehm... you do know about andlinux do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to see how it ran to be honest :) - if it runs on Vista I'll try it.

My Toolchain compiled sometime in the middle of the night.
I set the libs to compile this morning
now after work I've started compiling DOSBOX 0.70

I'll do some tests before I release it at least.

bOing

0.70 Compiled and is running on the gp2x :) - woot!

I just tried it with the 8088 demo, seems to run the same.

I'm going to benchmark both with a DOS Benchmark to see if there is any improvments.

I had to use oopo's toolchain to compile it again as it has all the SDL libarys still there :(

Regards
bOing

bOingball,

Just want to say thanks for porting dosbox v.0.65 and now 0.7! Because of your work, I was able to play, on the go, Sentinel Worlds I Future Magic! I am looking forward to your port and want to say thank you for the work you have done for GP2X community! I can't wait!

~gates

gates007,

it's great to be the dosbox developer for the gp2x.

But credit needs to go to bjimba for his work on getting it compiled first with 0.62

without him i wouldn't knew where to start.

Shame he dropped it the day he compiled it I think.

and the only reason that made me do 0.65 was that the cvs 0.62 didn't run on most peoples (including mine) gp2x's.

I'm glad to say 0.70 seems to see a big improvement, but it's hard to bench.

Trying to put a quality 0.70 release together right now.

bOing

Well I've hit some problems.

The key mapper.txt ain't working... weird as it did the first time I tried it I'm sure...

Working on the problem now...

Argh

:blink:

Gah the mapper is busted in 0.70.

It has a dirty hack to translate the joystick calls from the gp2x to keyboard calls.

in 0.65 it worked ok, the same code in 0.70 does nothing, I've not got a breakout box to check the debugging comments it has in DosBox :(

anyone want to look at the code for me to see if they can get joystick inputs working?

i can e-mail it via. gmail, it's 2.79Mb Rar'ed

Line 1296 in SRC\GUI\sdlmain.cpp is the Ugly hack for scan for joy events.

Any insights would be good.

It does run just not being able to type on the screen is a bit annoying :)

Regards
bOing

bOingball posted on Mar 19 2007 at 09:27 PM said:
Gah the mapper is busted in 0.70.

It has a dirty hack to translate the joystick calls from the gp2x to keyboard calls.

in 0.65 it worked ok, the same code in 0.70 does nothing, I've not got a breakout box to check the debugging comments it has in DosBox :(

anyone want to look at the code for me to see if they can get joystick inputs working?

i can e-mail it via. gmail, it's 2.79Mb Rar'ed

Line 1296 in SRC\GUI\sdlmain.cpp is the Ugly hack for scan for joy events.

Any insights would be good.

It does run just not being able to type on the screen is a bit annoying :)

Regards
bOing

Could you not wrap all the stdout and stderr to text files? I have some code to do that if you need it.

Failing that wrap your exe in a script that dumps stdout to text or run the exe from a telnet session over USB to see all the dubug. Mind you I prefer wrapping the calls to text files so I save the output.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to do that, code for it would be helpful though,

I've spent since 6pm trying to get this to work tonight :(

I've not got a clue on outputting it via USB to telnet, that would require a breakout box?

Cheers DJWillis, was speaking to you last night and I had to quit on the open2x toolchain as it was missing libarys I needed and my prog knowledge on all this sucks :(

Doom is running on the gp2x now via. dos box as it requires no input.

Ok it's doing about 2fps but it's running lol

bOing

Here you go,

This is the code I use in ScummVM, you will have to adapt it a bit but you should get the gist ;). It's messy.

Code:
	// Setup default save path to be workingdir/saves
	#ifndef PATH_MAX
		#define PATH_MAX 255
	#endif

char savePath[PATH_MAX+1];
	char workDirName[PATH_MAX+1]; /* To be passed to getcwd system call. */
	if (getcwd(workDirName, PATH_MAX) == NULL) {
		error("Could not obtain current working directory.");
	} else {
		printf("Current working directory: %s\n", workDirName);
	}

Code:
	#if defined(DUMP_STDOUT)
		// The GP2X has a serial console but most users do not use this so we
		// output all our STDOUT and STDERR to files for debug purposes.
		char STDOUT_FILE[PATH_MAX+1];
		char STDERR_FILE[PATH_MAX+1];

strcpy(STDOUT_FILE, workDirName);
		strcpy(STDERR_FILE, workDirName);
		strcat(STDOUT_FILE, "/scummvm.stdout.txt");
		strcat(STDERR_FILE, "/scummvm.stderr.txt");

/* Flush the output in case anything is queued */
		fclose(stdout);
		fclose(stderr);

/* Redirect standard input and standard output */
		FILE *newfp = freopen(STDOUT_FILE, "w", stdout);
		if (newfp == NULL) {	/* This happens on NT */
		#if !defined(stdout)
			stdout = fopen(STDOUT_FILE, "w");
		#else
			newfp = fopen(STDOUT_FILE, "w");
			if (newfp) {
				*stdout = *newfp;
			}
		#endif
		}
		newfp = freopen(STDERR_FILE, "w", stderr);
		if (newfp == NULL) {	
		#if !defined(stderr)
			stderr = fopen(STDERR_FILE, "w");
		#else
			newfp = fopen(STDERR_FILE, "w");
			if (newfp) {
				*stderr = *newfp;
			}
		#endif
		}
		setbuf(stderr, NULL);			/* No buffering */
	#endif // DUMP_STDOUT

As for the Open2x libs, I guess nobody pointed you at a link for the libpack then? If you still want to set it up give me a shout on IRC or drop me a mail.

Back