Dosbox 0.70 - Suggest A' Game(tm)

both the included games worked for me. Slow, but working. I cant get duke nukum and zeliard working anymore though. I replaced the old dosbox with this one and now the included games are the only ones that work. How do I fix this? I've got a feeling it might be the mapping.

Its great to see aitd loading though. In the last version it wouldn't even load.
Thanks bOingball

is it just me, or did half this thread disappear?

anyway, i tried OMF2097. can run the setup, can run the menus, crashes with runtime error when i enter the arena

can post/email my dosbox.conf and mapper.txt if need be

Super Jamie said:
i am trying to think of the games i used to play on my 286, back in the day. here's what i came up with:
digger
My girlfriend loves this game and says it is much better it is than Dig Dug or Mr Do (both of which she is excellent at). I haven't played it myself but would really like to see it on my GP2x and show it to my girlfriend as she hasn't played the game in years but has v fond memories of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to run Magic Candle-- didn't work. dosbox loaded and went to the right directory but would not load - can anyone help?

Gate

I will help if Possible,

Please make sure the dosbox folder is in the root of your SD card.

bOing

great thread boing, although i would really MORE appreciate a frontend for dosbox rather than pre-configured games, but you're the boss :D

Its been said but is worth repeating, that Elder Scrolls Arena would be great, except that it might be hard to see everything on the screen AND it uses keyboard and mouse so it could be hard to control.

I had a list of non-freeware games i would love to see, but i reread the OP and realized thats not what you're looking for. I'm a dos kid, so i had quite a few i'd like to play portably.

Ultima4 is apparently released free, so that would be great. There are some enhancement projects out there that might make this oldie a bit more playable to the new generation too. http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

Betrayal at Krondor was pretty fun back in the day. I tried playing it recently and it looked soooo bad i turned it off :(

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comme...sed_as_freeware is a pretty good resource, as there are even a few links at the bottom that lead to sites that actually have the games.

Thanks bOingball,

It is difficult to explain but I will try - please bear with me. I have tried the following steps before I ask for help:

1. Dosbox is at the root of the SD card. I have a number of games working now. I have got Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic and Wizardry VI Bane of Cosmic Forge working.

2. Dosbox and Magic Candle location:

mnt\sd\dosbox\mc1\

I have mount dosbox\mc1 as c:drive

when running executable, mcandle.exe, dosbox will go to the specified directory, flash, make a "beep" sound and exit. At exit, it has indicated c:\dosbox\mc1

3. I tried to run the same executable in WinXP with my GP2X hooked up, it ran fine. Since my GP2X is plugged in to WinXP as e:\ - mounting in e:drive will allow the game to run with no problem (in WinXP). If I mount e:\ as c:\, it has the same problem as #2 above in WinXP, meaning it will go to the right directory and when I <DIR> the directory I see the executable mcandle.exe, but when I run the executable, it beep and go back to dos prompt c:\dosbox\mc1 ----- In another words, this is something to do with the mounting in dosbox.

4. Question - how does GP2X see the sd card as a drive, ie. does it see the SD card as a C: drive (unlikely). I ask this because WinXP see my GP2X as e: drive and if mounted as e: drive I can run the game with no problem. Something about the executable that can only run in the native "drive".... no sure I am making any sense here.

Can you help? Thanks again for your assistance and if there is anything I can clarify please let me know.

The game can be obtained here for testing - http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/826/MagicCandle.htm

Thanks!

gates007 said:
Thanks bOingball,

It is difficult to explain but I will try - please bear with me. I have tried the following steps before I ask for help:

1. Dosbox is at the root of the SD card. I have a number of games working now. I have got Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic and Wizardry VI Bane of Cosmic Forge working.

2. Dosbox and Magic Candle location:

mnt\sd\dosbox\mc1\

I have mount dosbox\mc1 as c:drive

when running executable, mcandle.exe, dosbox will go to the specified directory, flash, make a "beep" sound and exit. At exit, it has indicated c:\dosbox\mc1

3. I tried to run the same executable in WinXP with my GP2X hooked up, it ran fine. Since my GP2X is plugged in to WinXP as e:\ - mounting in e:drive will allow the game to run with no problem (in WinXP). If I mount e:\ as c:\, it has the same problem as #2 above in WinXP, meaning it will go to the right directory and when I <DIR> the directory I see the executable mcandle.exe, but when I run the executable, it beep and go back to dos prompt c:\dosbox\mc1 ----- In another words, this is something to do with the mounting in dosbox.

4. Question - how does GP2X see the sd card as a drive, ie. does it see the SD card as a C: drive (unlikely). I ask this because WinXP see my GP2X as e: drive and if mounted as e: drive I can run the game with no problem. Something about the executable that can only run in the native "drive".... no sure I am making any sense here.

Can you help? Thanks again for your assistance and if there is anything I can clarify please let me know.

The game can be obtained here for testing - http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/826/MagicCandle.htm

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, easter weekend and all etc :)

I can try and have a look at this over the next 2 days, hopfully withing 24 hours if I get the time.

The mount command is used to mount any directory as any drive though.

Regards
bOing

Thanks bOingball,

Thanks for looking into it! It works in WinXP only if it is mounted to the "native" drive (i.e. Drive e:\ if the game is in the USB as e:\ - mounting to other drive will not work, even when you switch to that directory, <dir> and SEE the executable in that <DIR> and run it - it will pop back out to dosbox dos prompt. This is all happening in WinXP dosbox. - Since I don't know what the SD card's drive letter [not sure if there is one], it is hard to mount it properly in GP2X... :() Thanks again for looking into this!

~gates

gates007 said:
Thanks bOingball,

Thanks for looking into it! It works in WinXP only if it is mounted to the "native" drive (i.e. Drive e:\ if the game is in the USB as e:\ - mounting to other drive will not work, even when you switch to that directory, <dir> and SEE the executable in that <DIR> and run it - it will pop back out to dosbox dos prompt. This is all happening in WinXP dosbox. - Since I don't know what the SD card's drive letter [not sure if there is one], it is hard to mount it properly in GP2X... :() Thanks again for looking into this!

~gates

It might help if you show your mount lines in your dosbox.conf. They should be in the autoexec section.
Also I wouldnt mount the dosbox root directly to the game folder. It may not make difference. Usually I do the mount to one folder containing all the game folders and then i would "cd" into that folder.

There are no drive letters in linux.
you should mount the sd by using the full path. I think its something like /mnt/sd/
Heres an linux example: mount C "/home/dos/dosgames"
Heres an windows example: mount C "C:\games"

I pulled these from the dosbox wiki here:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p...rograms%2FMount

Thanks Pickle - I will give it a shot and post my results shortly. Thanks again!

Hi Pickle - tried your suggestion and in fact it was what I had before. Didn't work. The game is mounted in /mnt/sd/dosbox/mc1/candle

Here's the file:
For mcandle.gpe

#! /bin/sh

DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/dosbox/mc1/candle

cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf

cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

For dosbox.conf [only showing the last part]

[autoexec]
mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/mc1/candle"
c:
mcandle.exe

There is something peculiar about this executable that I think some special mounting is required. You will noted that I have mounted as c drive and this does not work. In windows, if I installed into a the c:drive and mount as c: then it will work fine. However, if I run from my USB key (which is an e: drive), mounting on e: drive will work but mount as c: drive will not work. I am sure something similarly distorted in the GP2X version... if someone can help that would be great!

~gates

gates007 said:
Hi Pickle - tried your suggestion and in fact it was what I had before. Didn't work. The game is mounted in /mnt/sd/dosbox/mc1/candle

Here's the file:
For mcandle.gpe

#! /bin/sh

DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/dosbox/mc1/candle

cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf

cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

For dosbox.conf [only showing the last part]

[autoexec]
mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/mc1/candle"
c:
mcandle.exe

There is something peculiar about this executable that I think some special mounting is required. You will noted that I have mounted as c drive and this does not work. In windows, if I installed into a the c:drive and mount as c: then it will work fine. However, if I run from my USB key (which is an e: drive), mounting on e: drive will work but mount as c: drive will not work. I am sure something similarly distorted in the GP2X version... if someone can help that would be great!

~gates

Im gettin a little confused with your drive letters. Are you saying
Real Drive Letter Dosbox Letter Result
C:\ C:\ works
E:\ C:\ doesnt work
E:\ E:\ works

if this is true maybe try c:\ mounted as another letter like e

Short answer is Yes.

In WinXP dosbox - let's say my usb is plugged in as drive e: - you can still mount it as c:\ (or any other drive you want except z). You can mount any sub-directory as your root. For example c:\games\magic, you can mount the whole tree as "c:" and if you type c:, it will bring you to that directory.

Normally, this should not be any problem. However, in magic candle, if it is in c: drive and you mount as c:\ --> this works.

if it is in e: drive (i.e. in a usb key), you mount it as c: --) not work

but mount as e:\ --> its "native" drive --> works

so, back to this gp2x magic candle problem --> for some reason, when I plug my gp2x into my laptop (it shows as e:) and I use dosbox mounted as e: - it works. However, still in winxp, if my mount as c:\ --> does not work.

So, in my gp2x config file, mounting on any drive letter for some reason it will not work. I am guessing this happens to some really old games. I used to have problem to the SSI goldbox series, sentinel worlds and bane of cosmic forges. They work fine in gp2x but only this ones does not work....

Any suggestions?

~gates

I have already tried mounting on other drive letters but it does not work.

gates007 I finally loaded .70 on my gp2x. I tried running alone, tryian, candle and the only one I could run was tryian the others crash back to the menu. Ive duplicated what your doing in the windows version. Its very strange but must be something to do with the app like you suggested.
It should work though in linux mounted as C:\, i think anything should. Not sure why it isnt working

Hey Pickle, thanks for validating my sanity! Yes, this is strange indeed. I know the problem I am encountering in GP2X has a "similar" vein under WinXP so I am not sure how to solve it. That's is why I was asking silly question like what is the "native" drive letter for the SD card! (Because I don't know how else to solve it - this is driving me nuts tho...)

Anyone has any suggestions would be much appreciated!

~gates

gates007 said:
Hey Pickle, thanks for validating my sanity! Yes, this is strange indeed. I know the problem I am encountering in GP2X has a "similar" vein under WinXP so I am not sure how to solve it. That's is why I was asking silly question like what is the "native" drive letter for the SD card! (Because I don't know how else to solve it - this is driving me nuts tho...)

Anyone has any suggestions would be much appreciated!

~gates
Im not sure i agree its the mount problem of why it isnt running, Could be theres something different between the ARM build verus the x86 build. Could be setting in the dosbox.conf

Does that alone in the dark work for you, how long does it take to load?

Haven't try Alone yet - won't be able to try it until Friday. Is it part of the package for v0.70? ~gates

I experience the same problem in GP2X and WinXp of dosbox so I am incline to think it may be a mount problem as both have the same mount issue.... I hope bOingball has better luck than both of us....

gates007 said:
Haven't try Alone yet - won't be able to try it until Friday. Is it part of the package for v0.70? ~gates

I experience the same problem in GP2X and WinXp of dosbox so I am incline to think it may be a mount problem as both have the same mount issue.... I hope bOingball has better luck than both of us....
The alone demo is included in the package.

I think I have test to prove out your idea about the mounts. I have dosbox on a x86 linux machine. So if i can run it mounted as c then its not a problem with the mount, instead its some other compatibility that was lost in the ARM compiled version. It just dosent make sense why mounting from a windows vs linux should make any difference. Its transparent to the exe in dosbox.

I ran mcandle in the x86 Linux (suse) and it had no problems running. I mounted from a linux folder to C:\ in dosbox. I think this enough proof to suggest that some incompabilites are in the ARM build.

Back