Dosbox 0.70 - Suggest A' Game(tm)

bOingball

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I've started a new Topic due to the fact my development thread is now complete.

I'm happy to say DOSBOX 0.70 is complete in development and runs on the gp2x.

I've not released it yet due to the fact I want to bundle some Dos games with it that would make it a worth while download..

Now heres your chance to get involved.

I want you to suggest games that should come with DOSBOX, the games I pick will be tested and I'll create all the configs for the games so that they run and work well.

The GP2X can at the moment run games to these Specifications. (From what I've been testing) at 200Mhz Clocked

VGA Graphics
386 / 33Mhz with no Sound

VGA Graphics
386 / 16Mhz with Sound

M/C/EGA Graphics
286 / 50Mhz With Sound

NOTES : GTA won't run, the menu will start but trying to load the game I get an out of memor error
Pinball Dreams etc won't either due to the way the menu system they come with crashes Dosbox out.

Please pick the best DOS games you want to see in this release.
(I'm not a DOS man and never played games on DOS back in the day, I had an Amiga ;) )

Game's can only be bundled with DOSBOX if the game is Freeware / Shareware Demo / Trial etc.

I'll pick 10 or so games out of the list and release it as a bundle.

All the best

bOing

bOingball, congrats and very, very eagerly awaiting the new dosbox! I suggest you can check out abandonia reloaded - all of the games are freeware. As an avid RPG fan, I would very much like to run Arena (The Elder Scrolls I) on the go (which I believe is freely distributed). However, not sure if the game would be too taxing for the port! Three cheers to you for porting dosbox v0.7!

~gates

Speaking of Amiga - do you remember a game call Hard Nova? I am having a hard time try to get this to run on GP2X... any idea? I posted in the general forum but not yet got any taker to help... :(

~gates

just out of curiosity here and forgive me if totally missing the point - but is the compatibility list on the dosbox 0.70 page worth paying attention to in this release or are the limitations of the gp2x going to whittle that down much?

looking at the list now, i expect that to be the case, so wondering what our/my expectations should be?

very cool to see you working on this though and i look forward to lots of fun times with this regardless.

Yes games on the compatablity list would be internall supported by the Dosbox running on our humble GP2X's but the memory requirments of some games might be over what our gp2x can run on.

We can have about 8Mb Ram games running, anything more and it usually ends up with SDL kicking us back to the gp2x's menu screen.

I did started going through the dos games archive list on the web but I've never played many of these games and decided to let the public speak lol (I tried epic pinball, and it works fine but the game ain't the best)

Sorry about your problem with that Hard Nova game (there is a DOS port, would that not work on dosbox?), I've never played it, the only RPG games I played on my amiga where Eye of the Beyholder (well wicked game in 1994) - and Might and Magic 3

Cheers again for the support
bOing

EDIT :
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.ph...49&letter=H

Hard nova is now supported on Dosbox apprently. I can test it if you like.

bOing

that's great to hear....i cant help you out much with your list though as i was never much of a shareware buff - i do, however have a cds worth of accumulated games that i havnt looked at in a long time that i can dust off and experiment with if we need a compatibilty list though.

Yeah, I'm not a DOS person at all.... my limits in dos was starting Windows 3.11 on my 386.

The only reason I compiled Dosbox last year was that I bought a gp2x and wanted to try Champ Manager.

Still not got that working, glad the rest of you are having fun ;)

And it would be great if we could get the compatiblity list updated in the gp2x wiki.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox

Regards
bOing

Wow! Finally my dreams are coming true!! :D
The best gaming age goes portable!! (Or at least, getting close)

As others mentioned, you can check http://www.dosgamesonline.com, a good source for demos and shareware DOS games

I suggest titles like "Alone in the Dark", "Teen Agent" or "Lure of the Temptress" (yes, I´m a sucker for adventure games :p )

Cheers! ;)

For those who may be remotely interested, I got Sentinel Worlds I - Future Magic to run okay on Dosbox v.0.65. Keymapping is a pain but I can post what I have... Hard Nova (sort of a seq. to SW1FM) is not compatible with 0.70 nor 0.63. 0.65 is barely compatible but can not access all save game slots... which is some what useless....

I think it will be well worth the download ready to go as is?

I'd love to play around with this but truthfully I don't know if I'd be interested in bundled demo/free games anyway.

The games I'm interested in are the games that I already own like Frontier, Civilization and Railroad Tycoon. And I wouldn't mind tinkering around with config files to get them going.

slaanesh posted on Mar 21 2007 at 08:30 PM said:
I think it will be well worth the download ready to go as is?

I'd love to play around with this but truthfully I don't know if I'd be interested in bundled demo/free games anyway.

The games I'm interested in are the games that I already own like Frontier, Civilization and Railroad Tycoon. And I wouldn't mind tinkering around with config files to get them going.

I always meant to do a DOSBox (started it, even) .. the goal being a _usable_ one -- custom input modes (a la my OutCast/Castaway) for each game or game type.

ex: I made a custom dosbox years ago for Wizardry 7 (Dark Savant); thats a lot of mouse in that game (not much keyboard control), so I made all sorts of 'macros' to move the mouse around with a joystick etc .. ie: button-X plus joy would do movement, while button-Y plus joy would alter the screens from character to this and that, that sort of thing.

Tall order, but worth considering .. in my emus I tend to make 5 or 6 generic input modes.. maybe its possible in DosBox, but I didn't put any thought into it yet :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I can release DosBox as it is, Thats fine but I was hoping demos bundeled with it would help new users at least getting it to work with games.

I'll think about it over the next day or so as I'll need to redo a readme etc.

About developing it more might be out of reach for myself, I can compile, add patches to code and debug and fix, thats usually where my coding stops (it's what I do myself for a living ;) as well as other things ;) )

About Hard Nova, on the 0.70 compatabilty list, it says it's now supported so it might be nice if you could test my version with it.

Anyway, need sleep.

Will be back tomorrow

Regards
bOingball

Thanks bOingball! I will for sure test it. Hi Skeezix, I am the guy who emailed you today re: Hard Nova. About dosbox v0.7 and Hard Nova - it is actually NOT working. I have raised this in this thread:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=14665

v0.7 can boot the game and is corrupted and won't let you save the game. When you enter the store, items start to disappear. v0.65 is more stable but only allow you to save with one slot (vs. the usual 10+ slots)

Keep up the good work and I can wait to try the new dosbox in my GP2X!

~gates

I was wondering if the following games will run on this version?

1. Zeliard (platform rpg)
2. Solar winds I+II (top down space rgp, sorta like wc privateer)
3. Quarantine (violent taxi driving game)
4. Carmageddon (this one may be a bit much to ask i suppose, but anyways)
5. Alone in the Dark 1-3
6. traffic department 2192

On the previous version of dosbox for gp2x, I had zeliard running, but not so smooth. There was also a problem getting anything but pc speaker sound working. Duke Nukum was running real smooth.

Looking forward to the new release. Thanks bOingball.

Thanks for your efforts, bOingball! I'll be happy to just get the emulator, but if you need ideas, here you go:

Jazz Jackrabbit Shareware would be great. Maybe the Warcraft, Dune 2, X-Com (UFO), Prince of Persia 2, Lost Vikings, Lion King, or Alladin demos. Those are all good games.

I tried ages and ages getting bio menace to work (eventually it worked, but crashed after a minute or so)
It would be awesome if it would work on the new dosbox
You can get it from its official website (3D Realms/Apogee)(direct download here)

(It has been released as freeware december 2005)

Back