Dosbox 0.70.1 Released

bOingball

Still Fresh
The Gp2x version of Dosbox has been updated to 0.70.1.

The Gp2x should benefit from the following updates from the 0.70 code

Speed up the screen drawing code.
Various fixes to the (C/E/V)GA emulation.
Extended and improved all types of emulated memory. (umb/ems/xms)
Various timer related fixes.
Added a few more graphic scalers.

The release includes Alone in the Dark 1 as well as Tyrian to try out.
These have been added so that you get to know how to work the emulator (as there is currently no easy front end)

The release is available here for download : http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1750

Please contribute to the Gp2x Dosbox wiki located here : http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox
The wiki site has configuration guides for games tested already in Dosbox 0.65.1

Regards
bOing

WOW!! Finally!
I craved for playing my favourite adventure games on the go :) ( Fingers crossed for playable speeds :p )

Thank you BoingBall!!!

Hey Great! Tyrian!! I would say though that you should probably map the diagonals to a combi of down and across, it means you can't go diagonally currently. (not a problem for me of course, I know where the mapper file is and what it does!).

Just wondering is frameskip of any use at all? I noticed that you didn't have it turned on in the mapper file, and turning it on, didn't seem to make much difference, except less frames... Anyway keep up the good work, and with any luck Zodttd will be inspired to do a dynarec/ something else mysterious.

Zeladin posted on Mar 27 2007 at 01:09 PM said:
Hey Great! Tyrian!! I would say though that you should probably map the diagonals to a combi of down and across, it means you can't go diagonally currently. (not a problem for me of course, I know where the mapper file is and what it does!).

Just wondering is frameskip of any use at all? I noticed that you didn't have it turned on in the mapper file, and turning it on, didn't seem to make much difference, except less frames... Anyway keep up the good work, and with any luck Zodttd will be inspired to do a dynarec/ something else mysterious.

Yeah that would be good, I will update the release with a better mapper if you make one.

I think its nice to have 2 Demos in the archive to show what the Dosbox can and cannot do, to keep people working on getting configs done.

I'm sure this release is more stable than the last as well, but I'm sorry about the mouse cursor still ;) - I'll get that patched, just 0.70 reenables it so many times in the code I lost count.

Frameskip did seem to work when I was playing speedball the other night, so it should. also the aspect ration scaler does not seem to take a performance hit :) (the filters will though if enabled)

Yeah I'm hoping I can come up with some optimizations soon, this is really 0.70.1 compiled to work with a lot of hacking to get the mappers back together, (no other optimizations where used just yet)

But as always I'm going to update this everytime it happens :)

Regards
bOing

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure thing... done it already, um... So L and R keys do the sidekicks, if they're reversed, you can simply change the setting from within Tyrian, in options. I've mapped them to control and alt, which are the defaults. diagonals mapped too. means you have to be more accurate in the menus, but you can actually more the ship in a sensible fashion..
link; http://www.wattystuff.net/tiki/tiki-downlo...e.php?fileId=28

Btw you're right I think frameskip does work, and etc... I would be good if we could emulate a mouse, though not worth a whole lot of bother.

Hey guys, is there any way to get the mouse mapped into the controls? That would be awesome!

DSR

I worked on a mouse hack last aug and considered it out of my range.

But the weird thing was, once (and only once out of the 1000 times I've tried Dosbox)

the mouse pointer moved with joypad, and let me click into Shufflepuck Cafe. then it stopped again (I thought I had fixed mouse support)

I hope someone could help with the mouse support though. I'll love it in there as well, but it's not too urgent still as Dos games mostly expected just a keyboard.

Cheers for the new mapper Zeladin :)

bOing

i've added/updated a few games to the compatibility page, and put a version column in the listing as well

stunts is still pretty unplayable, but my config skills could do with improving. i only tried it at 200mhz

also started a "configuration tips" section with my findings. feel free to edit/correct as you see fit

http://wiki.gp2x.org/index.php?title=DosBox

edit: tried stunts at 250mhz in ega mode with no sound, still plays like a wounded turtle

fusion_power posted on Mar 27 2007 at 03:28 PM said:
And how runs Commander Keen at 200Mhz?

Dunno if you know it but the original commander keen interpreter has been ported and works fine. :)

tried stunts at 250mhz in ega mode with no sound, still plays like a wounded turtle

I'm sorry Stunts is still playing up, I could try messing with it, which version did you use to get it booting etc?

I downloaded a copy and it didn't seem to run on my system.

bOing

Zeladin posted on Mar 27 2007 at 01:09 PM said:
Say, can you give us all some help on how to do that? I know the mapper file pretty well, but I forgot how to implement a proper 8way stick using that.. :/

Aaanyways, I know a lot of people want 'Skyroads'.. Well, that's probably not possible since it requires a too hefty PC which Dosbox can't currently emulate well..
However... There's the prequel to Skyroads, called 'Kosmonaut' (http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/kosmonaut/index.html), and I've prepped it up so that it plays perfectly on the GP2x. I even hexedited the .exe so that buttons in the game are named correctly ('B' and 'Start' instead of 'Space' and 'Escape') :)

Includes a .png icon, too. Easy to install (extract to SDroot:\dosbox, if you have dosbox extracted to the root of your SD)..

Get it here:
http://home.deds.nl/~megagun/temp/Kosmonaut.rar (72 kb)
If you're new to Kosmonaut (even when you have played Skyroads!), remember to hit A at the intro screen to get a demo of how to play)!
If anyone knows how to implement a proper 8way stick in Mapper.txt, please let me know so I can edit the thing.. :) Have fun :)

Edit: It might be nice, if there was a simple, advanced mapper.txt configuration that includes all of the following:
*8way stick
*space, escape and enter keys
*two modifiers (VOL+ and VOL-) which allow for extra keys, namely:
1) number keys
2) F1-f12 keys
3) Frameskip increase/decrease
4) CPU cycles increase/decrease
*commonly used other keys (letters, such as S, P, Q and X which often control various stuff in games/programs)

Draken posted on Mar 27 2007 at 06:09 PM said:
fusion_power posted on Mar 27 2007 at 03:28 PM said:
And how runs Commander Keen at 200Mhz?

Dunno if you know it but the original commander keen interpreter has been ported and works fine. :)

Yes but not for Commander Keen 4 ;) I only want to play this Episode. ^^ Would be cool if the Interpreter can be updated to play Ep. 4-6.

It seems, that Stunts isn't the best Choice for GP2X Dosbox. Maybe, there will be a way to play it on GP2X. Maybe the original Dosbox Devs could help bOingball to more optimize our Version?

Commander Keen 4 ran OK on a 286 so it should work fine in the new version I think. A commander Keen 4 interpreter is probably not going to happen unless 3D Realms releases the source code because of a bunch of weirdness in how Commander Keen 4 worked... some levels are apparently embedded in the EXE and other such craziness :)

bOingball posted on Mar 28 2007 at 02:49 AM said:
I'm sorry Stunts is still playing up, I could try messing with it, which version did you use to get it booting etc?

I downloaded a copy and it didn't seem to run on my system.

bOing
don't be sorry, it's not your fault :) but if you'd like to play around, i'm more than happy to help

i'm using something which reports itself as "Stunts 1.0", i downloaded it years ago from an abandonware site. i've put it up here for the time being

i've also stuck my current default .conf and mapper.txt in the same directory, for those who are interested

Anyone tryied getting raptor: call of shadows to work? i get as far as loading graphics on the screen and then it seems to freeze. Or is this the most it gets to?

Zeladin posted on Mar 27 2007 at 02:38 PM said:
Sure thing... done it already, um... So L and R keys do the sidekicks, if they're reversed, you can simply change the setting from within Tyrian, in options. I've mapped them to control and alt, which are the defaults. diagonals mapped too. means you have to be more accurate in the menus, but you can actually more the ship in a sensible fashion..
link; http://www.wattystuff.net/tiki/tiki-downlo...e.php?fileId=28

Btw you're right I think frameskip does work, and etc... I would be good if we could emulate a mouse, though not worth a whole lot of bother.

Thank you for that mapper, it will be in the next release and I'll see if I can update this release with it soon.

Also thank you for the updates to the wiki, I'm glad people will use it to get there configs uploaded.

I'm hoping to get a game pak or 2 out as well on the games that work fine.

Regards
bOing

Back