Dosbox 0.70.1 Released

I contacted the DOSBox team and am going to get started on the DOSBox ARM dynarec...again. I'm going to take it slowly and test the waters, as it might be a bigger project than I can handle (not knowing x86 arch that well pretty much makes things difficult). But with enough time I can figure it out. Hopefully the response I get will be a positive one and they'll get me back in step with things.

For those who are unaware, I'm basically trying to make DOSBox perform faster by using a technique called dynamic recompilation. I'm going to work with the DOSBox team as much as possible so I can get it used in an official ARM port. Maybe the GP2X version can be the starting point for an official ARM port? I plan on using it for testing the ARM dynarec. :)

zodttd said:
I contacted the DOSBox team and am going to get started on the DOSBox ARM dynarec...again. I'm going to take it slowly and test the waters, as it might be a bigger project than I can handle (not knowing x86 arch that well pretty much makes things difficult). But with enough time I can figure it out. Hopefully the response I get will be a positive one and they'll get me back in step with things.

For those who are unaware, I'm basically trying to make DOSBox perform faster by using a technique called dynamic recompilation. I'm going to work with the DOSBox team as much as possible so I can get it used in an official ARM port. Maybe the GP2X version can be the starting point for an official ARM port? I plan on using it for testing the ARM dynarec. :)
How fast could be the DosBox Speed on GP2X, when everything is optimized and (of course) everything would work how you imagine? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zottdd,

This is one of the best GP2X news I heard in the week and I wish you luck in working on this! I grew up with all the amazing dos games and it would be great to be able to relive all the classics. Not being a computer programmer, it is virtually impossible for me to make new programs or any changes and improvement to any GP2X applications. It is people like yourself, exophase, zx, bOingball, Telengard and many many others' contribution to make people like me be able to enjoy all the good stuff GP2X has to offer. Thanks again and I eagerly await the next dosbox port!

Gates

lil help pls

i got tryrian working ok on dosbox but any other games ive tryed i cant get to work i just get a black screen :S any ideas on what im doing wrong heres the gpe file i got for warcraft which i cant of done wrong cause i didnt do it :p

#! /bin/sh

DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/war

cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf

cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

ahhh my bad for some reason the gpe files broked themselves fixed it now :_)

another thing :)

has anyone tryed laser light i used to love tht game not had any luck gettin it working help wud b appreciated

has anyone had problems with the controls on warcraft on dosbox? I got warcraft to load but i can't select anything from the menu

Unfortunately mouse emulation isn´t supported at the moment (and it seems Warcraft wasn´t keyboard friendly :( )
Vol + works as Enter so go on until you get in-game. Then, D-pad it´s pretty useless (only for horizontal/vertical screen scrolling)

Last time I was trying the "Quest for Glory 3" package from the archive, with a tweaked config file and games seemed to perform sligthly better (it gives hope for games to be playable on next Dosbox release :) )

By the way... Any progress so far, Zottd?

I got a message from the DOSBox dev's. I'm looking over the source and going to take the first of many small steps on getting a dynarec working for ARM based DOSBox ports. Starting with the GP2X. Progress may be slow or may be fast, just depends on some luck I suppose. Sometimes things just "click" and debugging won't be needed as much. Wish me luck. :)

Looking at it now and at first glance things look positive. I am going to compare bOingball's source to the latest SVN and see if I can merge them easily. From there I will test that build, and if all is well, begin work on the dynarec porting / implementation. It's a fairly simple dynarec by design, so hopefully it will go smoothly. From there it can be improved upon if needed/possible. :)

Good news and good luck to you Zod, there are some great DOS games that would be a pleasure to play on the GP2X. :)

That sounds great!! Good luck! :)
You are already lucky to have Dosbox devs helping you in case any problem arise, am I right?

Thanks. I got the sources I need and am working on it now. :)

Khan: Yes, I am fortunate to have the support of the DOSBox dev's who have been extremely helpful with getting me situated with the dynarec they have.

zodttd said:
Thanks. I got the sources I need and am working on it now. :)

Khan: Yes, I am fortunate to have the support of the DOSBox dev's who have been extremely helpful with getting me situated with the dynarec they have.
They have Dynarecs to? ^^"
Please make Noise, when the improved DosBox is capable to play Keen4 without Overclocking :) In my (wet) dreams I play "Stunt Island" on GP2X to :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back