Did you preorder?

• Yes, I cant wait for it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't want one

• No, I got locked out of the first 3000

• Total voters

Nope. In the end, I just have no confidence that it will be completed any time soon. Those guys must have monster sized balls to take pre-order money considering how far along in development they are(n't). Is there any kind of guarantee when placing the pre-order about when and if the unit is delivered? Will they refund your money if, say, a year passes and they still have no product? I hope it works out for all involved, but I will not be ordering one until they actually exist.

I didn't pre-prder. I'm with the "wait for the second batch" crowd who have gotten burned before.

Add an option to the poll for 'no. can't afford one.' because despite the fact I badly want one, I just don't have the money that I can spend on it.

Iorgy77 said:
I ordered one, $450AU on something I still havent seen a picture of the finished product yet... madness I tell you... MADNESS!!!!
Madness, indeed! Accursed exchange rate made it just a touch shy of AUD500 for me (I also got the baggie and a dev donation). Ow.

And now I realised I really should've gotten the tv out cable and at least one 32gb sdhc card. 8(

Ow.

The realisation that the aussie site was in USD was also fun. Then came the conversion to GBP by the site (ow) and then came the conversion to AUD by my bank (OW). :blink:

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, to be honest I was a bit annoyed about Aussies having to pay in USD. It had a significant impact on the cost, and prevented me from buying anything but the Pandora itself. :(

Anyway, I understand that they had little if any margin, and it's not worth bitching about now. I got my order in. :) I've also set aside some more cash, so in the next week or so I'll be buying the TV cable and a couple of dev donations.

If it's being sold via an Aussie distributor in 2009, I'd hope it isn't priced at more than $400AUD. Not that I need to buy another one, I'd just hate to see sales suffer because of our shitty dollar.

Gruso said:
Yeah, to be honest I was a bit annoyed about Aussies having to pay in USD. It had a significant impact on the cost, and prevented me from buying anything but the Pandora itself. :(
Yeah. I was suprised (and annoyed) by the jump from USD to GBP when ordering. I suspect that might've been due to me paying by CC rather then via PayPal. Anyone else had this?

Anyway, I understand that they had little if any margin, and it's not worth bitching about now. I got my order in. :) I've also set aside some more cash, so in the next week or so I'll be buying the TV cable and a couple of dev donations.

Yeah. Just read that I probably wont be able to source a tv cable locally so I'll be modifying the order with that. If you know of someplace cheap to get a 32GB SDHC card in AU that'd be lovely too. :)

If it's being sold via an Aussie distributor in 2009, I'd hope it isn't priced at more than $400AUD. Not that I need to buy another one, I'd just hate to see sales suffer because of our shitty dollar.

Agreed. With the netbooks selling between AUD500 and 600 generally, AUD400 would be about max for a console here. Otherwise it gets minds wondering...

P.

Gruso said:
http://www.staticice.com.au ;)

Yeah. Searched there. :)

32GB SDHC search:

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=32gb+sdhc

$224 is the best price at the moment. They've come down $100 in the last 6 months, I reckon they'll be under $200 by the time Pandora arrives.

Nice drop so far. I've calced the exchange rate on what's on offer from the openpandora store:

70.00 (Pound (GBP)) makes 164.445 (Australia Dollar (AUD)) (2008.10.06 06:20:22 UTC)

Add 3% for the banks: $170 and then a wee bit of fudge so in the end it'll probably be 170-180.

Tempting to just get it with the Panda.

P.

Gruso said:
Interesting! I hadn't even done the sums on that. Might have to spend even more at GBAX. :D
I feel the pain of the Aussie dollar too :) With two more interest rate cuts this year, and already under 75 cents US, and with commodities dropping.....the Aussie is likely to dip to 70 cents (after reaching 96 or so at one stage this year), and maybe even lower........

So I've taken the plunge and added a 32 gb card to my GBAX order - very well priced from my research. Thought I'd throw in a case and a spare battery too - what the heck, and the Aussie will keep going down, mark my words :)

Cheers
Simon

Back