Developer Fund

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
When ordering your Pandora you will be given the option to donate $20/£10 to the Pandora development fund.

This will give you access to a beta testing zone (where you can try software early) and the money donated will be used to reward Pandora software developers for their work.

Developers of course don't have to use this system, but I think it is a good way of rewarding them all. The Pandora team will throw in several thousand dollars to start it off.

Discuss...

Well, obviously I'm in. I used to setup dev funds so yeah... :)

I'm down for an extra $20 if it goes to a good home (i.e. talented dev's pizza & beer fund).

"I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The Pandora is neither a Pan nor an Explora - Discuss."

what price will it be in euros? 15€?

Will we be given the option to just donate so we can access that zone?

Wow, this is awesome. I'm definitely in. :)

The only thing I'd want to know is on what basis the money is distributed, and what the requirements are for a developer to get in on this fund (more due to curiosity since at this point trust levels are pretty high).

craig although Its all about buisness , I like how much you & the rest of the pandora team are putting effort to make a good product with a promising future so I have no problem chipping in the extra $20. I do wish however that the following people:

Craig
DaveC
DJWillis
Evildragon
Fatih
MWeston
Squidge

would take a picture surrounding the pandora doing like a thumbs up , Ive only seen Ed and his wierd al yankovic hair . Now unless thats you in the pink shirt holding the pandora on the website then girl you is freaking hawt!

craigix said:
When ordering your Pandora you will be given the option to donate $20/£10 to the Pandora development fund.

This will give you access to a beta testing zone (where you can try software early) and the money donated will be used to reward Pandora software developers for their work.

Developers of course don't have to use this system, but I think it is a good way of rewarding them all. The Pandora team will throw in several thousand dollars to start it off.

Discuss...
Not much to discuss: It's voluntary. Those who like it, donate; those who don't... uhh... don't.

Me, I generally like solidarity when I'm not forced into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great idea, that is, for a dev fund.

I just wish it was independent from the sales of the Pandora. That is, people can just contribute without the third party wanting to profit from it.

So all in all, I'm against the proposal.

EDIT: Now that I've taken my anti-paranoir tablets (jk) I'm thinking that it's still a good idea. I'd prefer it to be independent but the distributors are the only people who can organise the kind of community rewards that would encourage the donations.

It's thousands of dollars better spent than on a commercial gaming contest. I still think the charity should be disjoint from the sale of the device.

How would it be decided where the money goes to? Would it all end up with emulator developers?

By popularity would be best, although I don't know what would be the best mechanism for determining it.

I'm happy to donate towards the fund without any questions really.

It is the least we can do if we are going to use the homebrew side of the device.

I think that sounds a good idea. You might want to allow people the option of donating more, if they feel like it too, at time of purchase. Whilst £10 on top of the price of Pandora will have me scrimping a little, I suspect there may be a couple who would hapily donate the significantly more.

I think fair distribution of such funds would be a problem.

If you let the users decide, they will vote for the software they want most, ignoring the effort put making the software. Nobody will care if it's a port with only 2 lines of code changed, or something substantially more.

Also by giving money to somebody who has done a port is unfair for the original authors, as amount needed for a port is usually tiny compared to what is needed to make something from scratch. Unless the author and porter is the same person, of course, what is rare.

I really don't understand the need to set up a pot fund. Many developers already have their own paypal account or can easily make one and buyers can support the programs of their choice. Do you consider yourself a developer craigix? Because if any amount of the fund is going to subsidize the Pandora then that's really inappropriate.

craigix said:

Discuss...
Is this only for the starting phase? I have beta-testing Skills but not much money. So if I don't pay the extra, I will never have the Chance to test a program and make suggestions to Devs? Hm... At least a public Beta area would be good, where "normal" users can post and suggest their Ideas to projects under development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back