Developer Fund

This will give you access to a beta testing zone (where you can try software early) and the money donated will be used to reward Pandora software developers for their work.

How would a developer get access to this system, if we release something do we get access for free or what?

I have the same fears as others, that fair distribution of my money would be an issue. It'd be really hard to judge, see I'd give more money to devs that help out on the forums, because they are more of a help to the community, etc. And copy + paste coders could end up getting more money than people who have put the effort in.

While the concept is a good idea, the question of which developers are involved in this scheme is also raised. Is it only going to apply to a core group of developers or any developer that releases something for the device?

Basically to sumarize the nay sayers: Idea good, Logistics bad.

Which I basically agree. Maybe pull an iPhone make an App Store like interface? Logistically its far easier, then the pure mayhem that could erupt when you're talking about distribution of 'donations'. Its far easier to manage when you're talking about paying for a product, or donating directly to the dev rather then a pot.

Megamixman said:
Basically to sumarize the nay sayers: Idea good, Logistics bad.

Which I basically agree. Maybe pull an iPhone make an App Store like interface? Logistically its far easier, then the pure mayhem that could erupt when you're talking about distribution of 'donations'. Its far easier to manage when you're talking about paying for a product, or donating directly to the dev rather then a pot.
That is what they are trying to get around, While its OK for the Homebrew devs, it would cause legal trouble for the emulator folks. Also, a store interface isn't something that is needed at this point, as it will take dev time away from core functionality.

The Pros and Cons are apparent. As long as its optional, I don't see an issue with it. I think I will probably not contribute and instead vote with my money on specific projects that interest only me or a small subset of the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if Devs just ask for money when they need it?

EDIT:Clarity Problems

ingrin said:
I think I will probably not contribute and instead vote with my money on specific projects that interest only me or a small subset of the community.
Capitalism? In an open source project? :huh:

I think that simply allowing people to donate to specific projects would do the job. Perhaps just a little 'donate' button on the download page would do? I don't really see how a general fund could be given out in a fair way. If you go by popularity, then what about the dev who's just getting started, but spending a lot of time on their project. They won't have a popular app yet, and if they don't see the same payments that other devs of more popular projects do, they might tend to give up. Whereas, if you just leave it as a 'donate' button, then if a user feels that the dev is on to something, and thinks that the app is useful, or fun, the user can donate directly to that project.

I don't think that users should be restricted based on their willingness to donate, and I don't think that devs should necessarily expect to get money from this. If that's what they're after, they can sell their software. The problem with restricting users is that you might discourage them from contributing. As fusion_power mentioned, the user could be helpful to the development process, either by testing and debugging, or actual development. That's what open source is about, community development.

I think this is a good idea and I will definitely donate. But there are caveats.

i have no problem with the pandora team handling this, but we must always see where the money is going to. We should also be able to see always how much money is in the pot. It could be an ongoing thing, if you have a few euros at the end of the month free just paypal them in. And of course it should be also seen who is donating. Why not?

Then the distribution. Again, I have no problems that Craig and co are dishing out the money. A lot of people who do great work for our handhelds don't get the recommendation they deserve and others take their work and take the spoils! If the money was doled out by the Pandora Team, everyone would get their dues!

Of course anyone could still reward a dev themselves if they so wish. But this would just help promote the scene quicker and better!

So yeah! Let's make reesy rich!

craigix said:
When ordering your Pandora you will be given the option to donate $20/£10 to the Pandora development fund.

This will give you access to a beta testing zone (where you can try software early) and the money donated will be used to reward Pandora software developers for their work.

Developers of course don't have to use this system, but I think it is a good way of rewarding them all. The Pandora team will throw in several thousand dollars to start it off.

Discuss...
I would rather support a developer of my choice who is writing software that I use, rather than a general fund which would go out, presumably, distributed by a method which might not agree with ME. Just as an example, I really enjoy puzzle games and I would think the dev who wrote electonia would deserve a good amount, but the gen community would probably want to award someone who wrote (or ported) a psx emulator which I would have little interest in. Basically, I think the system proposed here would not represent the views of individual donators, but the community at large, many of which may not even have donated.

Chris

I like the idea but I think that there is likely to be criticism from some if they feel the 'right' type of developer gets less funding than others. Therefore the 'rules' have to be clearly established (even if it's as simple as "Craig decides"). I personally want to make sure that those that develop background/critical/functionality adding apps get a fair crack not just those that do so 'sexy' stuff. This could be a nightmare to administer.

Also, how do you get funds to continue after the initial 'rush'? You could make it a 'club' with annual donations. You could also start it now/asap, which would show interest levels etc.

Just off on a bit of a tangent, if say 2,000 people donated £10 you raise £20,000. That is a significant sum. Have you covered it so that it doesn't all disappear in VAT/tax?

(edited for bad English - doh!)

I'm definitely in, though as a lot of people are saying, fair distribution could be a problem, though i think we could work it out.

also i think quality homebrew should get more money than a little-half incomplete port/ minigame. I think people should say what they want ported/ coded from scratch, lay down a list of things they want in the program, as to avoid a half finished program, and then either find some dev that's interested in the idea, or port it themselves. The project that most people are interested in should get more moola, but of course, this would mean the demands for ideas would also rise. Then again the extra cash should make up for the extra effort :)

The money would be given to software which got the best feedback, not the most popular or the most downloaded.

For example:

Marwood ports MAME and it's poor quality, crashes, not everything works.

Withnail makes a music player from scratch with a superb interface, not ported, 100% original work.

Mame will get 100x more downloads and comments but the MP3 player would have got the best FEEDBACK.

It's all about the quality of the product I think, and we want to encourage unique and interesting development.

Sure Ports of slick GP2X stuff will get a good chunk of money, but so will other things.

Presentation and functionality etc. will be rewarded over quick and dirty ports.

Of course slick and sexy ports will be rewarded too.

Hows does that sound?

craigix said:
Hows does that sound?
Grey.

How will feedback be judged? Even with some emulators that are not quite up to par, they still may get the best 'feedback'. When does the money get dealt? If two authors release the same emulator but the 'better' one when was two months later, when will the first one get his or her money? At the time of it's release or when there are competitors?

It is completely voluntary, but it establishes a good incentive for devs to come to the Pandora and make software - it also allows us to reward software which is essential but might not usually get donations.

It is something I think we need to bring the best to the Pandora.

A poor quality hacked port of something would still get some money, but with the lure of a lot more if they polish things up.

Back