Decent Mouse in DosBox

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
WarCraft II is almost unplayable, and certainly not enjoyable using the touch screen or the left nub + Shoulder Buttons - both methods are faulty. You must have experienced similar problems with Dos games you've tried.

Why is this so? What's up with the weird nub behavior? - getting locked into a random quarter of the screen?

What's the solution - buy a mini usb2 mouse? :blink:

Will *THAT* even work?

Last edited by a moderator:
WarCraft II is almost unplayable, and certainly not enjoyable using the touch screen or the left nub + Shoulder Buttons - both methods are faulty. You must have experienced similar problems with Dos games you've tried.

Why is this so? What's up with the weird nub behavior? - getting locked into a random quarter of the screen?

What's the solution - buy a mini usb2 mouse? :blink:

Will *THAT* even work?

I had a problem with that too. I remember that the fix is to hack dosbox source and set to "not hide" mouse cursor, but instead use a cursor of size 0x0 pixels. I've never had time to try this. I am waiting until somebody will release a fixed dosbox for pandora. I can wait...

I am good at waiting.

I do believe pickles latest releases all have such a fix in place already; be sure you're on the most recent versions!

jeff

I do believe pickles latest releases all have such a fix in place already; be sure you're on the most recent versions!

jeff

in which .pnd archive?

EDIT: I checked in PNDstore and in repo.openpandora.org - it's not there. Strange, but I actually forgot the URLs to other repos. Why PNDstore isn't using them?

A usb mouse does work, but you will most likely have to use a hub, I'm not sure that there are many usb2 mice around.

Ok, so I downloaded Dosbox74.pnd from Pandora Apps.

I had been using Dosbox.pnd from the File Archive

Neither is ideal. With Dosbox74.pnd I can use the nubs + shoulder buttons successfully - the mouse cursor doesn't get stuck in a random section of the screen. My only complaint with the nubs is that the mouse cursor *moves too slowly* - playing a rts like WarCraft 2 isn't really going to be feasible with a snail paced mouse. Any ideas on how to speed it up? :mellow:

Also, I haven't tested any other games that use right click, but in WarCraft 2 both shoulder buttons register as left click... eventhough I set them with the keymapper. Any idea why?

The touchscreen with Dosbox74.pnd is *COMPLETELY* off - the mouse cursor is significantly displaced from wherever you're clicking.

Now onto Dosbox.pnd : the touchscreen is much better. Clicks are no longer displaced. However, in a game like WarCraft 2 I click one place, then click somewhere else and 8 times out of 10 it thinks I'm dragging a selection box!!! Terribly annoying! Also, on a fairly regular basis the mouse cursor gets restricted to a section of the screen - for instance in WarCraft 2 it sometimes gets stuck in the game window and I have to click all over the place before it decides to unstick allowing me to click on the action buttons or the menu.

Using the nubs Dosbox.pnd is impossible - as I said, the mouse cursor gets stuck in a random quarter of the screen (and I have to wiggle it and the other nub about like crazy to break it free... only to instantly get stuck in another quarter of the screen).

So... where is this wonderful 'latest' version you speak of? :) I hope you're not referring to the one on the File Archive...

If so, then a usb mouse (and hub) may be my only solution... <_<

in which .pnd archive?

EDIT: I checked in PNDstore and in repo.openpandora.org - it's not there. Strange, but I actually forgot the URLs to other repos. Why PNDstore isn't using them?

PNDstore is exactly the same as repo.openpandora.org because thats where it gets its data.

the reason PNDstore doesnt contain details from the archive or the app-store is because they dont output the relevent data in the relevent repository JSON spec. my site is the first to implament this, it helped create the spec as well as tempels PNDstore.

If so, then a usb mouse (and hub) may be my only solution... <_<

While I can't make any useful suggestions as to using the nubs or touchscreen well in dosbox, may I suggest that if you end up getting a mouse for the pandora, try a bluetooth mouse. (preferably one with built in battery charging circuits) :)

I've been using one for a while now and would have to say its one of the best accessory purchases I've made.

-Neelix

may I suggest that if you end up getting a mouse for the pandora, try a bluetooth mouse. (preferably one with built in battery charging circuits) :)

That's a fine idea. ... 'one with built in battery charging circuits' - what exactly does that mean?
I think he just means one with an internal, rechargeable battery, as opposed to having to replace a pair of AAs every hour or so.

having to replace a pair of AAs every hour or so.

I wouldn't even consider buying something like that. ;) If I had to make a choice between a bluetooth mouse with that issue - or a usb mouse + hub. I would go for the latter.

well either would I... :) I only have to recharge my mouse once a week or so, and then its as simple as connecting it with a standard mini USB cable (anything that puts out power is fine - no hub required. (even from the pandora) It helps that unlike many wireless mice the bluetooth mice generally seem to have an on/off switch built in, so you can conserve power when not in use. Mine uses AAA size batteries too so if you can find an efficient one that uses AAs then they ought to last a while ;)

-Neelix

Back