Debian on SD

I generated /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d in that I put the suggested conf files, but they seem to be all ignored....
I don't think that they are being ignored completely. I tried some changes to the 11-touchscreen file and completely hosed the setup. So X looks at them, just doesn't do what we want at the moment.

right you are. I did the following: on another SD card I installed pandian, which works fine (from the Xserver point of view, but has some disadvantages: LXDE, autoligin..). Then I booted "my" debian from the first SD-slot with the pandian in the second. I copied over the xorg.conf(.d) stuff to debian and now I have a working touhscreen, too. (will post the configs when I'm home, pandora is ofline here).

EDIT: (the configs from pandian):

Code:
root@pandora:/etc/X11# cat xorg.conf
# Minimal xorg.conf for the OpenPandora - Most things are setup by HAL and FDI's.

#Section "Module"
#       Load            "extmod"
#       Load            "dbe"
#       Disable         "glx"
#       Disable         "dri"
#       Load            "dri2"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "DefaultLayout"
        Screen          "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
#       Device          "OMAPFB"
        Device          "FBDEV"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   16
                Modes   "800x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
#       Identifier      "Monitor0"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "OMAPFB"
        Driver          "omapfb"
        Option          "fb"    "/dev/fb0"
EndSection                                              

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "FBDEV"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "ShadowFB"              "false"
        Option          "fbdev"   "/dev/fb0"
EndSection   

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "keyboard"
       MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
       Option "XkbLayout" "de"
       Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection
Code:
 cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf 
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "touchscreen"
        Option  "Calibration"   "3919 116 3836 202"
EndSection

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Crdits got to stackshadow, tough ;-)

My Todolist:

-LCD off, when lid closed

-low power mode (leftswitch)

-finding what xmodmap will suite my needs...

-nubs sensitivity (it's a bit fast in my oppinion) pandian has that, but you can't change the nubs (I like the right one beeing the mouse and the left one the mousebuttons)

speaking of nubs: Where to put that commands to be started at bootup? xinitrc?

-LCD off, when lid closed -low power mode (leftswitch) -finding what xmodmap will suite my needs... -nubs sensitivity (it's a bit fast in my oppinion) pandian has that, but you can't change the nubs (I like the right one beeing the mouse and the left one the mousebuttons) speaking of nubs: Where to put that commands to be started at bootup? xinitrc?
for suspend I do this:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/13193-please-help-me-boot-debian-from-sd/page-2#entry271491/URL]

It blanks the screen when I close the lid.  It does not enable the power mode (leftswitch) capability.

I put the nubs commands into a file in the /etc/init.d directory, then used update-rc.d to activate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is trivial on Debian to change the desktop environment, so I'd say that LXDE or whatever else GUI is an non-issue.

right you are. I did the following: on another SD card I installed pandian, which works fine (from the Xserver point of view, but has some disadvantages: LXDE, autoligin..).
Do you don't like LXDE ? I'am open for suggestions ^^
LXDE is OK. It's just not the DE I use normally. I (as a personal choise for pureness) like fluxbox more, which to my knowledge saves even some more resorces. Downsite is, it depends on a working "right mouse button".

So my idea would be to have a minimal install, without any DE.

Does anybody know, if it's possible create the image with xorg (and all the specials the pandora needs) and just no DE at all. That way one could install the image and the use the DE of choice via apt-get?

smilnovi is right about that changing the DE is not an issue to change (two apt-get commands in fact)

This task is on my scope also :)
There will be an pandian-minimal-image just with the basic pandora-nubs, power scripts, xorg.conf etc. just without LXDE, SLIM, medit or other graphical tools. Hope this will fit your needs :)

Resources in terms of screen real estate is whats most limited.

Cmus, weechat and irrsi, w3m, aptitude, vim and nano preinstalled.

Could be an openbox install with the virtual terminal on the desktop.

Back