Building Debian on an SD Card

You attempting hardfloat on this or sticking to softfloat?

I can't seem to find a post about it and it may have been an IRC conversation, but I was under the impression that the 1GHz SGX version may have a hardfloat driver.. but that would leave the hardfloat Debian version exclusive to the 1Ghz.. well unless people can live without 3D acceleration.

Maybe Notaz or aTc may be able to chime in..

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be okay with just getting the xorg to work whatsoever, I think the next step is try the fbdev driver.

So I have been successful in getting xorg to work (on armel).

I used the OpenPandora kernel

I installed:

- xfce4

- xserver-xorg-video-omap3

I am going attempt this now in armhf.

After that, I installed this in my xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Module"
    Load    "extmod"
    Load    "dbe"
    Disable    "glx"
    Disable    "dri"
    Load    "dri2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "DefaultLayout"
    Screen        "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier        "Screen0"
    Device            "OMAPFB"
    Monitor            "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    16
        Modes    "800x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier        "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier        "OMAPFB"
    Driver            "omapfb"
    Option            "fb"        "/dev/fb0"
EndSection

Just tried this with armhf, it will work with the same installs, but the omapfb driver will not work, I have to go to the fbdev one.

This is the xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Module"
    Load    "extmod"
    Load    "dbe"
    Disable    "glx"
    Disable    "dri"
    Load    "dri2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "DefaultLayout"
    Screen        "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier        "Screen0"
    Device            "OMAPFB"
    Monitor            "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    16
        Modes    "800x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier        "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier        "OMAPFB"
    Driver            "fbdev"
    Option            "fb"        "/dev/fb0"
EndSection

Been trying this just recently on my pandora (1Ghz model) as well -- but using these  (the pandora wiki) instructions. For the distro I chose to use the newer debian jessie rather than the older squeeze or wheezy. I also decided to keep it as armel.

By and large what I have tried so far has been a "throwaway" install on an 8GB SD card as it was really a case of try it and see if I could even get it to boot (which I did manage to do in the end!).

What works so far? I have wifi working (with wpa_supplicant), the keyboard seems fine, the display is working and is quite fast.

What dosen't work? (They only don't work because I've not tried to do anything with them thus far) -- sound, nubs, SGX, Bluetooth, Battery monitor. From what I've read 3D won't work in any case though I can live without it.

The touchscreen works but acts weirdly -- it is almost as if it's been turned upside-down!

I didn't need to create an xorg.conf. Also jessie uses  xserver-xorg-video-omap and not xserver-xorg-video-omap3.

One piece of weirdness -- I had to use the program "usb-gadget" to get the pandora to see a USB mouse. Not sure how this should start up right now; at the moment I just key in the command manually. Strangely the instructions in the wiki mention running "update-rc.d -f usb-gadget remove". Surely this should get run rather than be removed?

As a further test I decided to try to install the MATE desktop (just a minimum install) which works! I was able to get its file manager up and running. Dosen't seem to be taking too much memory either. Might also be intresting eventually to see if the trinity desktop will work as well. Trinity desktop == KDE 3.5 btw.

Stuff I've not even looked at are things like CPU speed.

BTW There's one tiny mistook on that Debian on SD page in the pandora wiki. At one point it says;

UK people can set this to deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian main non-free contrib to get pretty much everything
Need to add one more piece to this, so instead of

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian main non-free contrib
it should read

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian jessie main non-free contrib
or it won't work! I also did try this all (using the same SD card) on my old original pandora. Worked like the newer 1Ghz pandora though just a little more slowly.

Can't do much more for the moment however as my pandora's battery is flat - !

ljones

Back