Darwinia & Multiwinia Port

Gurumeditation said:
Hello Guys,

Introversion Software pay know the sourcecode (for round 45$) of the two rts games Darwinia and Multiwinia. So I wrote in their forum if we can port this games for the pandora and the give us an OK =)

I am not a coder but i hope somebody will do make a port for this two great games =)
I think the Pandora-Devs can pay the 45$ from the develop fundus, if anybody will do this job.

I hope my little information awaken interest =)

And sorry for my terrible english ^^

Ah here you find my question to the developer *click* and the answer *click*

A newssite with this topic and the IV-Store: Ripten.com , Introversion-Store
We would still need to pay $45 to play it on our pandora if it's still on there SVN server and not public correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
We would just need to talk to them about publishing binaries. I don't think that would be much of a problem, once the game is up and running.

I also loved the game, albeit a bit short, a pandora port would be delightful. This will give me a push to try out multiwinia. I'm never fan of strategy games, but watered down action/strategy games I can digest quite well. I loved Sacrifice for example.

Laurent said:
I decided to buy the sources. But that doesn't mean a Pandora port since I don't own one. I'll probably play with it for Tegra2 and OpenGL ES 2.0 instead :)
What is stopping you from releasing the bare binaries? No need for a fancy pnd, someone else (or even me) can do one. Unless you're using WinCE or Android but then again, I don't even recall a released device using Tegra 2.
Toying again with unreleased chips are we?

Blue Ion said:
Laurent said:
I decided to buy the sources. But that doesn't mean a Pandora port since I don't own one. I'll probably play with it for Tegra2 and OpenGL ES 2.0 instead :)
What is stopping you from releasing the bare binaries? No need for a fancy pnd, someone else (or even me) can do one. Unless you're using WinCE or Android but then again, I don't even recall a released device using Tegra 2.
Toying again with unreleased chips are we?
I'm toying with what I have. If I had a Pandora, I'd target it, but I don't see the point wasting my time trying to support a platform I don't own.

Blue Ion said:
Laurent said:
What is stopping you from releasing the bare binaries?
License.

OrR said:
Blue Ion said:
Laurent said:
License.
Plus the fact that he would have to port it to a system he has no access to. It's a bit hard to optimize or, hell, even debug without the actual hardware.

fearofshorts said:
OrR said:
Blue Ion said:
Laurent said:
License.
Plus the fact that he would have to port it to a system he has no access to. It's a bit hard to optimize or, hell, even debug without the actual hardware.
I wasn't asking to do any more work on the code for the pandora, just grab the compiled binary and post it. If it is a Linux Arm executable, it should work on any other Linux Arm devices, be it the N900, the Beagleboard or the Pandora. If controls doesn't work, it tries to do some OGLES stuff unsupported by the pandora, requires some libraries that we don't have or it just doesn't start up, then tough luck for us, it wasn't my intention to ask him to port it, debug it or do anything else for the pandora.

However, I too misunderstood the license on the first place, I was under the impression that as long as you don't release the source you should be fine. Apparently you need to ask permission to do so, but reading the thread on Introversion they made it clear that they won't get in the way of free projects and mods.

Nekura said:
crade said:
Deyna said:
Badfrog said:
Ooh, I bet Defcon would run pretty well!
and Uplink!
+1
+1 for me as well. Uplink would be perfect for the Pandora with the combination of touchscreen and keyboard.

not to mention having a niche tech device to play it on - it'd feel like you're using the real VIRTUANET R-Access Gateway.

Back