Darwinia, Multiwinia, DEFCON, and Uplink! source code!

IIRC their code has been available for quite some time already. The problem isn't the availability of the code itself, it's the rather restrictive license and the humble bundle does not change that. Check out this part of the preamble:

We envisage that Additional functionality will be achieved through the medium of patches and we do not need to regulate this. That said, we must insist that the user has a bone-fide version of Uplink installed and as a consequence stand-alone binaries will be in breach of this agreement.

Different platforms and languages are slightly different. If we were to allow a port to a different platform or language, this would potentially exclude us from entering this market. In addition it may put us in violation of any agreements between us and third party developers whom we had paid to generate the new versions. That said if a port is produced for a platform or language that we had not considered or were not currently involved with, then we would be happy to consider licensing the version from the developer for an agreed royalty.

The fundamentals are simple. If you change uplink and produce a "patch" for a platform that we have sold on, then feel free to distribute it. If you produce a totally new version, contact us and we'll try to work something out.

Long story short: You may publish patches that make it Pandora compatible, but you are not allowed to publish the whole source or even binaries of it unless you are a licensed distributor.

publishing patches is more than enough. Right now everyone can buy the source code for 0.01 USD. Though only 6 days left. I should make note to find time to do that this week.

Then if I have source code, and someone ports this to pandora, I will just take his patch & compile. But also that person can expect some extra profit from Introversion, which looks like a good deal also.

Back