Custom TV-out cable

Which length you prefer (circa)?

• Total voters

Just curious about how are things happening peca? Will you post it here if you start taking orders? (or did i miss it)

I need to make and test few prototypes. I just building first. But EXT port connector is really tiny and I'm afraid about soldering directly on it. It seem that "tinyBoB" (a small piece of PCB inserting) will be "must have" - mainly due to be sure that cable don't break easily.

I'm sorry: SHIT!

This is small as... duno, appropriate English idiom, but damn small. OK. cable works, monochrome yet. Tomorrow today I going to find needed capacitor and solder this last thing. Then I'll finish tiniBoB drawing and demand its manufacturing. I can solder it, but it it is nothing good for my sight:

Fotografie0241.jpg

:lol:

OK, I think that tinyBoB solve this easy. Double glasses works good :)

Other thing - USB housing is quite big for this, but works fine. Photo later.

^

For some things, two pair of glasses is needed, and Pandora TV Out cables tis appropriate. You didn't expect to build them with just one set of glasses did you?

Good thing you don't have to build them in the sun B)

You are a champion for doing this.

I would love a small one with female RCA connectors personally. Also don't be afraid to charge a bit more after all it sounds like their is quite a bit of difficulty involved in producing the cable. After all if I was to do it myself with my amateur soldering ability I would probably burn through 1000 connectors :)

I voted RCA originally because my TV doesn't have S-Video. But I didn't realize that the adapters were so cheap so I changed my vote.

I can attest that S-Video has better quality (for obvious reasons)... when the adapter costs $2 it's really not worth short changing the people who can make use of the higher quality. I imagine some others voted without knowing how cheap they are. Maybe you could buy a bunch of the adapters too and include them as options to amortize the shipping?

I also never ordered a TV-out cable from OPT, so at least I won't be losing a sale there. I imagine a lot of people will be alright with getting both rather than canceling that part of their order.

You are a champion for doing this.

I would love a small one with female RCA connectors personally. Also don't be afraid to charge a bit more after all it sounds like their is quite a bit of difficulty involved in producing the cable. After all if I was to do it myself with my amateur soldering ability I would probably burn through 1000 connectors :)

Well, soldering the connector is pretty easy when you figure it out, the hard part is making the soldering clean and strong.

Well, soldering the connector is pretty easy when you figure it out, the hard part is making the soldering clean and strong.
+1

OK. According to MWeston clarification in EXT port connectors thread - It is not needed to add mixing capacitor for converting S-Video to Composite video signal. This mean:

1/ Composite (RCA) cables needn't any complication then straight lines

2/ Such composite cables will produce monochrome picture till somebody solve it by SW

Tonight I trying to finish PCB needed for good and "simple" soldering on EXT port connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how you managed to find those etx connectors, I contacted every supplier I could find with no luck whatsoever. Hahah I even tried to make one from scratch out of desperation, and it ended in complete failure.

Count me in!!!

^ We'v got them - thanks to WizardStan :)

It is verry hard to solder on those tiny EXT port connectors. So I design and order manufacturing of "tinyBoB" (tiny Break out Board). I'm expecting package with tinyBoBs next Friday. Then thing start to move on.

I'm expecting package with tinyBoBs next Friday.
Wow that's fast service! I am very excited to start playing with my EXT connectors and TinyBoBs. Thanks so much Peca and WizardStan.

I have already started collecting parts and tools to play with, practising my soldering skills and putting together some things to help speed up prototyping.

I'm expecting package with tinyBoBs next Friday.
Wow that's fast service! I am very excited to start playing with my EXT connectors and TinyBoBs. Thanks so much Peca and WizardStan.

I have already started collecting parts and tools to play with, practising my soldering skills and putting together some things to help speed up prototyping.
I said "next Friday"? I'm an idiot. They should be done and shipped at 29th June (Wednesday + 1-2 days for shipping). So Friday, but 1 week more.

Sorry! :-(

Hi

Just wondering, how will the people who put in this thread they want one of these or are up

for one get to know if they will get one or not ?

I still gathering material. Most last thing I waiting for is "TinyBoB" PCBs that skould arrive at the Friday. At the weekend I'll (hopefully) make some tests and ask for orders. :)

I was try to order some SONY PSP 2000 S-Video/RCA TV outs but they are hold by customs. It is 5 cables only, but we have new limit about 22 EUR equivalent for taxing and they assume that this must be more then specified on package. :-/ Next time I rather order bare connectors of local store. I hope for less work with pre-made cables.

My Pandora has not yet been sent, but I am interested in ordering/purchasing a cable when you are ready to make/sell them :)

Back