Custom TV-out cable

Which length you prefer (circa)?

• Total voters

I'd like one of those retractable cables so it's portable, but maybe the female S-Video and RCA stereo audio would be better and then just buy a retractable cable separately... :)

Also I think it's great you are doing this! ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take one that was basically just a connector with a serial port out (think, for a terminal) and the video-out and audio-in females. Then I can just use varying lengths of cable. Less cable = less cost + less shipping.

I just realized today that my Nokia 5800 came with one of those 3.5 mm Nokia TV-out cables. I never had a use for it on a phone, so I forgot about it. It would actually be great if you could make cable with a female 3.5 mm jack compatible with that cable, it can be somewhat short as the cable is long enough.

Hi

I up for one, and voted.

3 m / 10 ft

Male RCA (composite video + stereo audio)

Audio in

Many thanks :)

I'm just ordering samples of connectors and cables and I stuck on which cables I should use.

Initially I thinking about more expensive cable that carrying audio lines and video, all separately shielded, and another one only for audio input. BUT it is nonsense because Video could be composite or S-Video. Composite video line is just shielded core, but S-Video is 4 lines (actually 3 - EXT port carry only one ground for all lines). So, in summary, for composite only need 3 wire + ground (shield). Audio input add 2 lines (and share ground - shielding). S-Video need 1 more line. This could be solved by one 6 wire + shield cable which will be costs less if I buy 100 meters on once.

Only one thing stop me from buying it. I thinking about separating audio inputs. So instead something like this (taken from MW photobucket - probably samples from factory):
DSC01447.jpg
, it could be similar to:

Code:
          +------------> video out

/+============> audio out

EXT port =+

\+============< audio in

This means: instead of separate lines on the and to bunch of endings it could be forked on beginning - first branch to carry video and audio outs and second to carry audio inputs. In addition, inputs and outputs can differ in gender (male for output and female for input). This means one cable 4+1 and another 2+1.

On other side, SCART have all lines on it, so if someone like SCART then it could be conected by one thick cable 6+1 and wire C+Y video, L+R in and L+R out.

So, friends, what is Your wishes?

ALERINO: In case of short cable (up to 30 cm) - there is only option to attach every connector to its own cable. In case of long cable - it could be better to have one thick cable and on the end to make several branches. But it can be handy to split outputs and inputs to 2 independent branches. Ie, if input and output will be used simultaneously and headed to different devices in different locations.

For good mobility is good small size. Standard RCA or S-Video + RCA cable could fit in bag or could be easy to find almost everywhere. I already ordered 4pin jack for testing and waiting if they arrive and if they will be good.

Anyway. After a while thinking I get to state that better will be to make one thick cable, split it and solder connectors by demand. This way simplifier soldering on the Pandora's end - solder same color on the same place.

Other thing to say. I ordered USB plastic housing (just 5 pieces) to test if it fits somehow. It will provide best housing with minimal effort. Only cons is USB logo, but connector is way different from USB. I can't stay when EXT port connectors arrive :)

EDIT: Component isn't possible. There is not RGB signals, only S-Video. Composite will be provided by "mixing" S-Video "C" (chroma) and "Y" (luma) signals.

ALERINO: In case of short cable (up to 30 cm) - there is only option to attach every connector to its own cable. In case of long cable - it could be better to have one thick cable and on the end to make several branches. But it can be handy to split outputs and inputs to 2 independent branches. Ie, if input and output will be used simultaneously and headed to different devices in different locations.

For good mobility is good small size. Standard RCA or S-Video + RCA cable could fit in bag or could be easy to find almost everywhere. I already ordered 4pin jack for testing and waiting if they arrive and if they will be good.

Anyway. After a while thinking I get to state that better will be to make one thick cable, split it and solder connectors by demand. This way simplifier soldering on the Pandora's end - solder same color on the same place.

Other thing to say. I ordered USB plastic housing (just 5 pieces) to test if it fits somehow. It will provide best housing with minimal effort. Only cons is USB logo, but connector is way different from USB. I can't stay when EXT port connectors arrive :)

EDIT: Component isn't possible. There is not RGB signals, only S-Video. Composite will be provided by "mixing" S-Video "C" (chroma) and "Y" (luma) signals.

I'd be lying to you if I was said I was as technical as everyone else when it comes to cable ends ect , so I haven't voted. It's the obvious thing to say but I want what ever is the simplest way to connect to the tv without compromising sound and picture quality. I'll trust you guys who know your stuff to decide. On a side note , how long is the cable on the Pandora charger? because that would be the perfect length for the tv out in my opinion.

The whole thing? Are you including the part that plugs into the wall?

2v3sl83.jpg

I have done it. I ordered a Pandora.

I will be purchasing some connectors in the first week of June. If the OP does not meet demand I will happily make some custom cables as well.

there are two models, the non-european is quite shorter

OK thanks guys I was referring to the European one. It stretches from the TV to my bed , so if that's 10ft just the right length for me.

Shit happens - I just erase my message by accident :-/

OK, shortly:

- waiting for 4pin jack females, they should arrive already, but stuck somewhere (DHL 24 h delivery).

- I bought nokia and ipod 4pin jack video cables for testing

- I thinking about building tiny break board to make soldering on EXT port more easy - but it is just thought

- I spot PSP video cable that looks like Pandora video cable, just different connector - I'll try to cut and replace by proper one - this should simplify process and should save money (depends on quality of PSP cables).

sheers

When this comes to fruition, I definitely want to buy one - 6 foot standard S video male out with standard composite audio

I'm down for a standard any length with any gender out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back