Culture Fund

So far it would seem that there needs to be easier and less controversial option. Maybe it would just be enough to make it easier to donate to devs. Something just as small as a "Donate here" button on each page.

The GP2X wiki already has a list of PayPal addresses for a lot of developers along with a list of what they have done to deserve donations, is that not easy enough?

Kings said:
So far it would seem that there needs to be easier and less controversial option. Maybe it would just be enough to make it easier to donate to devs. Something just as small as a "Donate here" button on each page.
How about something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it looks like people are looking for excuses not to donate. The wiki is a good source, but a lot of developers have this information on their own site. You can also find the information on the forum, or you could even ask. This is not rocket science.

I like the donating philosophy of Notaz. Probably the most important developer for the GP2X, and hopefully as well for the Pandora.
He only wants people to donate for what he has done and not for what he might do.

Orkie said:
The GP2X wiki already has a list of PayPal addresses for a lot of developers along with a list of what they have done to deserve donations, is that not easy enough?
Wow, nice! Needs more advertising. B)

The biggest problem with all suggestions, whether it's a donation subscription thing, counting your total donations or a download store with a small margin that makes buying 2$ games possible is the fact that it has to be organized and realized by trusted people. Of course this doesn't need to be done for free, earning some money with it is perfectly acceptable as long as profit margins don't go the way of Handango or the 360 Live Arcade...

Orkie said:
I respectfully submit that the list is a good start. But its not a very comprehensive list and not as easy as having a button staring at you as you download. It's not that different than a tip jar, where you place it makes a difference. It might be that there are a bunch of people that don't ask and don't actively search for the page to donate. Making it just a little easier is worth the effort.

Kings said:
Orkie said:
I respectfully submit that the list is a good start. But its not a very comprehensive list and not as easy as having a button staring at you as you download. It's not that different than a tip jar, where you place it makes a difference. It might be that there are a bunch of people that don't ask and don't actively search for the page to donate. Making it just a little easier is worth the effort.

It may not be all that comprehensive, but if the devs are actively looking for donations, is it not upto them to add their details to the wiki?

Nobody will be coding for the Pandora platform expecting to get rich from it.

Anybody who puts in the dozens (or even hundreds) of hours necessary to get a good project running is doing it because they love to do it. Maybe they'd like to get a couple bucks here and there from people who enjoy their software. Maybe they even insist on it. The thing is, there are already plenty of options open to software authors that cover those bases. There is no need for a complicated subscription system.

Devs who would like donations will request them. Those of us that enjoy the software will make them.

Devs who really want some compensation for their effort can outright sell their software. We'll buy it.

Those who want something in between can do that too. The shareware model worked for a decade - bring it back. Give a little something extra to those who pay. It could be something as simple as a nag screen in the free version that goes away when you donate, or as complex as extra content for contributers. Nobody should be afraid to ask to be paid for their work.

There are plenty of easy solutions for this problem (which I'm not sure is even a "problem"). I see no need to complicate things with some convoluted subscription system. It only adds a middleman and the potential for abuse.

b_o_b said:
I like the donating philosophy of Notaz. Probably the most important developer for the GP2X, and hopefully as well for the Pandora.
He only wants people to donate for what he has done and not for what he might do.
I agree with this approach. Not just because it's the more fair and honest thing to do, but it makes you feel like you're being contracted (for next to no money) and are now obligated to release something that meets certain standards. This is probably why a lot of devs aren't really thrilled about bounties.

Exophase said:
b_o_b said:
I agree with this approach. Not just because it's the more fair and honest thing to do, but it makes you feel like you're being contracted (for next to no money) and are now obligated to release something that meets certain standards. This is probably why a lot of devs aren't really thrilled about bounties.

I agree, there will always be people that will never be satisfied with how it turns out, and it'd turn the project from a leisurely one, to one that is no fun anymore. I wonder how many dev's have actually received promised bounties?

I've seen a lot of discussions about donating and bounties. I think the general feeling is the money devs receive from donations will not be close to compensate the time they spend.Our community is just too small to gather some income.

The most devs like to receive a financial encouragement and welcome any amount. Bounties are not welcomed, because it makes a hobby turn into a job. And indeed I doubt bounties are always paid.

IMO if a dev wants to make some money, he/she should release the product commercially.

Back