Craigs Talk At Newcastle University

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT????!!!!! 1Ghz processor????!!!!
Why did he say that?
Pandora has a 600 Mhz (overclockable to 900 Mhz with some problems reported by a dev that I don't rememer...) and a 8 hours battery...

I want to know who rounded off the original overclocked 900Mhz to standard 1Ghz...

giovanni said:
Why did he say that?
Pandora has a 600 Mhz (overclockable to 900 Mhz with some problems reported by a dev that I don't rememer...) and a 8 hours battery...

I want to know who rounded off the original overclocked 900Mhz to standard 1Ghz...

again you didnt see the talk, surely craig has nuanced it in the talk. These blurbs are more often than not a bit exagerated and not written by OP staff

Last edited by a moderator:
It's important to note that the default clock speed for the Omap3 is 900mhz, the Pandora is clocked to 600 to conserve battery life, but there is nothing stopping you from overclocking it above 900mhz to clock speeds higher than 1ghz, aside from sucking your battery dry.

Just like the gp2x's default clock was 200mhz, but most software runs at much lower clocks, but sometimes you'd want to crank it up to 266mhz (if it wouldn't crash).

I'm sure some people will find their Pandora's stable all the way up to 1.2ghz, maybe even more for a lucky few.

Bosbeetle said:
giovanni said:
Why did he say that?

again you didnt see the talk, surely craig has nuanced it in the talk. These blurbs are more often than not a bit exagerated and not written by OP staff

Sorry
I read the thread but because of my low understanding of the English language I didn't understand the opinion of the community.

It's marketing hype/logic ;)

If something is near 1Ghz, you don't say "nearly 1ghz speed" or "900Mhz speed" but round it off to 1Ghz, when the speed difference between 900Mhz and 1Ghz is negligible but it sounds better to say 1Ghz ;)

Although ... with it being at a university, you'd expect hard technical details and facts, not hyperbole :huh:

MDave said:
It's marketing hype/logic ;)

If something is near 1Ghz, you don't say "nearly 1ghz speed" or "900Mhz speed" but round it off to 1Ghz, when the speed difference between 900Mhz and 1Ghz is negligible but it sounds better to say 1Ghz ;)

Although ... with it being at a university, you'd expect hard technical details and facts, not hyperbole :huh:

I've been to many talks and most of the time they dont live up to the abstract and even less to the title. So it happens at academia a lot.

It's a shame it was not videoed really as it went well.

A lot of questions but all were good and we had an interesting talk around the room. A good mix of students and people who work in the industry too, I hope it got the word out there a little more.

craigix said:
It's a shame it was not videoed really as it went well.

A lot of questions but all were good and we had an interesting talk around the room. A good mix of students and people who work in the industry too, I hope it got the word out there a little more.

I'm sure it will :)

mindlord said:
It's important to note that the default clock speed for the Omap3 is 900mhz, the Pandora is clocked to 600 to conserve battery life, but there is nothing stopping you from overclocking it above 900mhz to clock speeds higher than 1ghz, aside from sucking your battery dry.

It's only rated up to 900mhz. While you may be able to clock it higher, those speeds are not guaranteed, and are most likely unstable. If you can keep it stable above 900mhz then you win, but they only guarantee 900mhz. If they could consistently get stable processing at 1Ghz and above, they'd advertise it as such.

Possibly of interest to some is that Nokia bought speed-sorted omap2 chips from TI, in order to guarantee 400MHz. It probably cost them a bit more that way though.

Gruso said:
No need to apologise Bosbeetle, I'd like to know more about the talk too. We just have take any words written by non-Pandora people with a grain of salt. :)

If nothing else, the super high-res photo of Craig on that site is ripe for exploitation.
I recall the hilarity of the book holding picture a few months back. :lol:

giovanni said:
Why did he say that?
Craig keeps telling us we're about to be pleasantly amazed - hasn't anyone figures out ye tthat in addition to the memory upgrade we're getting speed AND abttery life upgrades as well?

(no, this post is NOT to be taken seriously. Or quoted out of context. Practially guaranteeing both...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back