Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
http://www.supermondays.org/

Id like to have heard that talk :)

From the site

Craig Rothwell — “Building a computer was easier in the 80’s”

The final presentation was given by Craig Rothwell from the OpenPandora project. The Pandora is designed to be a handheld game console with high-end PDA capabilities, but may also be run as a low-powered full-featured Linux desktop. The unit uses a 1GHz Texas Instruments processor, 256Mb of RAM and a battery which should last 10 hours.

The units are manufactured in the US as they have had problems finding a UK based company to work with. With over 4,000 pre-orders the unit this seems rather short sighted by UK industry.

Craig was supposed to bring a demo unit with him to the talk but the courier couldn’t get it to him in time. He expects to bring one next month and hinted that we may see them in the shops soon with a price point of around £200.

We're there a lot of hard questions craig?

The unit uses a 1GHz Texas Instruments processor

wat

Craig was supposed to bring a demo unit with him to the talk but the courier couldn’t get it to him in time.

so theres one already put together somewhere?

I think people need to take that stuff less literally. It's an introductory blurb for Craig, not a Pandora press release.
gibberish said:
Technically, yes. Craig's Twitter entry suggests that MW has an assembled FDM prototype. If that's the case, of course there was no time to get it couriered, it's only been assembled for a few hours and it's in Canada. :p Craig's presentation was probably organised weeks/months ago, so he would have been hopeful of having an assembled unit at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
gibberish said:

The unit uses a 1GHz Texas Instruments processor
wat

Craig was supposed to bring a demo unit with him to the talk but the courier couldn’t get it to him in time.

Probably they will make a few of the fdm prototypes.

Gruso said:
I think people need to take that stuff less literally. It's an introductory blurb for Craig, not a Pandora press release.

I agree, and I apologize for making this topic

No need to apologise Bosbeetle, I'd like to know more about the talk too. We just have take any words written by non-Pandora people with a grain of salt. :)

If nothing else, the super high-res photo of Craig on that site is ripe for exploitation.

sindbad said:
I can't believe I'm in Newcastle and I missed that.
Ditto (although I doubt the uni would let people just walk in off the streets)

Any other North-east people around? It'd be cool to find somewhere with free wifi and do some sort of monthly Pandora user group :)

Gruso said:
No need to apologise Bosbeetle, I'd like to know more about the talk too. We just have take any words written by non-Pandora people with a grain of salt. :)

If nothing else, the super high-res photo of Craig on that site is ripe for exploitation.
I agree. The people writing this are not pandora fanboys, and the target audience isn't. just get over it.

Gruso said:
Anyone else amused that they decided to take a photo when he was showing a slide of the Wiz?

I've just read the site, and realised it was an open event, not a talk to the university itself. Shame.

Hopefully I'll hear about the next one early enough to try and go!

PoisonedV said:
Oh god, don't quote it!

I quoted before you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back