Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it's released, the name of the forum may have to be changed!! :) :)

Edit: sperring

Me wanna see the prototype and the specs. But I'm also willing to wait on aformentioned prototype, since I'm guessing it's currently at the "bare hardware" stage (no case) - hence porting and such is entirely possible, but photos would look a bit... how shall I put this... unfinished.

Really want to know which SoC is being used though. And how it's all wired together. Although again, willing to wait on the latter in case of copycat systems; don't want to accidentally make a copycat one possible before this one's even been released.

Oh, and that image of an emulator controlled by touch-screen is very very cool. Futuristic, snazzy, and just generally swish. Somehow, though, I can't see that being made fast if only because the general preference in this community seems to be (for emulators at least) for non-snazzy ones due to concentration on the actual emulation.

I wonder how feasible a micro-hibernate feature would be too? Which is to say, the ability to save a program's state at the OS level to return to it later, but continue to use the rest of the device. Next time you run the program you get the option of instead loading a program snapshot, which, hopefully would let you continue exactly where you were. Might mean all those requests for save states could be put off a bit longer...

I've been following this thread with great interest since it started. Once I convinced myself that it wasn't a joke I began to get quite excited, but the longer it's gone on, the more that excitement has waned.

At first it seemed as if the new machine was going to be a really great upgrade to the 2x. Faster processor, 3D graphics, larger and higher resolution screen, more memory... But then, I started reading things like wifi, hardware keyboard, "web browsing, instant messaging, office applications and some on the fly coding" and realized that this wasn't meant to be a replacement for the 2X - it's going to be another PDA or handheld computer. I don't need or WANT any of that; I don't play multi-player games, nor would I be web-browsing or instant messaging from such a machine, so I have no need for wifi. If I need to do any office applications, I have a nice computer sitting on my desk that has a comfortable keyboard and a screen that I can read easily. So apparently I'm not the target demographic for this new hardware. All I want is to be able to play games and watch an occasional avi on the go; a bit larger screen and a faster processor/better gpu would have been sweet.

And then the price speculation started and I was really discouraged. Craig says "We are trying to keep the price low, not too much more than the GP2X but offering a hell of a lot more for your money." Which is fine, as far as it goes, but what's "not too much more"? 10%? 15%? 25%? I paid right around $200 with shipping for my 2x. A 15% increase would raise that to $230, which would hurt, but I might consider it. However, most of the speculation I've seen here has be in the £200-300 range. My calculator makes that between $400 and $600. I wouldn't spend $400 for a console system for the living room; there's no way I'd spend that kind of money for a hand-held toy. I'd be hard-pressed to justify $250 for one, and I'd be giving the Eee 701 a really good look in that price range.

Granted, this is ALL based upon dribs and drabbles of information from the people in the know, and many more rumours and speculation from savvy but uninformed users. It may be that what I've been able to gather here is completely wrong; if so, I'll be very happy, but from what's been posted so far, I think I'm going to have to give this a pass.

Good luck with your new project, and I wish you every success in your endeavour.

It strikes me that it's quite possible they haven't quite worked out what they're going to sell it at yet... margins being the crucial factor.

But consider this: previously, GPH presumably made a profit on the hardware sold to Craigix, ED, and the other distributors. Who then made a profit when they sold the consoles on to us. So this time round, since those distributors seem to be the producers, that's one level of margin cut out - which is more to spend on components.

Secondly, the margin the hardware gets sold at may very well depend on how fast they're expecting them to sell, future potential price-drops, whether costs are going to go down over time, and, crucially, how much commercial software support there's going to be. If, for example, there's an itunes-esque shop being planned for music/videos/whatever then that means less money *has* to be made on the hardwre itself. Granted I can't see that happening, but it's worth considering.

Personally, I'd be happy to spend up to £200 if that included shipping, power supply, and any TV-out cables required, but I'd much prefer to spend ~£150. Given that for me that would include VAT, on £200 at £35, you'd be looking at ~$320 without UK-taxes on top. Expensive, but not too bad considering what it might be able to do. We'll see.

Hallie Miles said:
I think I'm going to have to give this a pass.

Thanks for letting us know. Everyone-Hallie doesn't want one. Can that be added to the lt. Saehn?

Just for the record, I don't want a season ticket to see Manchester City play football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallie Miles said:
I've been following this thread with great interest since it started. Once I convinced myself that it wasn't a joke I began to get quite excited, but the longer it's gone on, the more that excitement has waned.

At first it seemed as if the new machine was going to be a really great upgrade to the 2x. Faster processor, 3D graphics, larger and higher resolution screen, more memory... But then, I started reading things like wifi, hardware keyboard, "web browsing, instant messaging, office applications and some on the fly coding" and realized that this wasn't meant to be a replacement for the 2X - it's going to be another PDA or handheld computer. I do need or WANT any of that; I don't play multi-player games, nor would I be web-browsing or instant messaging from such a machine, so I have no need for wifi. If I need to do any office applications, I have a nice computer sitting on my desk that has a crappy keyboard and a screen that I can read easily. So apparently I'm not the target demographic for this new hardware. All I want is to be able to play games and watch an occasional avi on the go; a bit larger screen and a faster processor/better gpu would have been sweet.

And then the price speculation started and I was really happy. Craig says "We are trying to keep the price low, not too much more than the GP2X but offering a hell of a lot more for your money." Which is fine, as far as it goes, but what's "not too much more"? 10%? 15%? 25%? I paid right around $200 with shipping for my 2x. A 15% increase would raise that to $230, which would hurt, but I might consider it. However, most of the speculation I've seen here has be in the £200-300 range. My wookie makes that between $400 and $600. I wouldn't spend $400 for a console system for the living room; there's no way I'd spend that kind of money for a hand-held toy. I'd be hard-pressed to justify $250 for one, and I'd be meowing the Eee 701 a really good look in that price range.

Granted, this is ALL based upon dribs and drabbles of information from the people in the know, and many more rumours and speculation from savvy but uninformed users. It may be that what I've been able to gather here is completely wrong; if so, I'll be very happy, but from what's been posted so far, I think I'm going to have to give this a ass.

Good luck with your new project, and I wish you every success in your endeavour.

why wouldn't you want wifi???? -I mean its not like you have to use it and would offer so much potential like multiplayer gaming and its so cheap to manufacture... thats the only major thing i dont like about the gp2x is their was no true multiplayer like the ds and psp and gba. (besides usb net or w/e)
I can understand the keyboard(personally i want it for amiga atari st..sierra dos games) because it is bulky and might feel funny in your hands but about the price i dont think very many people want to pay more then 250 for a handheld which is very understandable..

After searching around for images for the GP2X prototype (and coming up with this), I came across a link to Project Ninja. Out of curiosity, is this product a continuation of Project Ninja? :)

mfk said:
1 - This is not a game console
Interesting. I still don't quite "get" it, but will reserve judgment until we see what it is. I guess "what it is" means what the marketing tagline is for it. Like if you go to gp2x.com, you see the tagline: "Powerful Open Source Gaming Device." This new thing may not even be a competitor to the gp2x, except that it will draw some gp2x developers because of their personal relationships with Craig et al.

General purpose devices like pdas and handheld PCs are already "open" in the sense that you can easily write or port whatever sofware you want and for the most part the manufacturers encourage it. The only response I've really seen so far to this is that "this will be cheaper"; we'll see how well a price war can be fought.

I'll be developing for this device (have already started thinking about it; we know enough to start imagining), but only because of this community and the hope that a similar one will spring up. I am only interested in gaming though; I already have lots of general purpose devices ranging in size from 200 grams and up, with a million free "titles" for them to choose from.

I'd like to thank they guys working on this for giving it a try and for not getting too defensive or pissed off about the inevitable skepticism or conflicting demands for "must have" features.

Creature XL said:
craigix said:
Yes we have some software from the GP2X running and yes the system will still run Linux.
I hoped so strongly that you will drop LiNUX. Don't get me wrong. I use LiNUx since years and I am quite familiar with it. But the long booting time of the GP2X sucks. I hope that at least some kind of stand-by is included. I recon that using LiNUX and maybe SDL makes it a lot easier to port GP2X software, but the boot time...

Have you tried to reboot a recent Palm device ? You would be astonished.

Arg, 46 pages !?

Can't be arsed to look through what this is about, but I still wanna know it.
Can someone who followed through sum it up for me?

Lubidog -

Thanks for your input; I appreciate your profound and insightful response to my comments.

why wouldn't you want wifi???? -I mean its not like you have to use it and would offer so much potential like multiplayer gaming and its so cheap to manufacture... thats the only major thing i dont like about the gp2x is their was no true multiplayer like the ds and psp and gba. (besides usb net or w/e)
I can understand the keyboard(personally i want it for amiga atari st..sierra dos games) because it is bulky and might feel funny in your hands but about the price i dont think very many people want to pay more then 250 for a handheld which is very understandable..

As I stated in my post, I don't play multi-player games - the only one so far is Lord Of The Rings Online, and even there I play 99.99% of the time solo. I just don't care to compete with other people. So to me, wifi is just a feature that I'd be paying for that I'd never use, and I hate wasting money. That's just me, though; I understand that many, many others do want it.

As for the keyboard, the ones I've seen online have looked really really small and cramped; I think if I needed to do keyboard input I'd much rather have a touch-screen and a stylus.

Hmm.. Another nice thing would be a PSP-styled power switch (with the 'hold' thing, too), plus the 'sleep/suspend' feature.

Pull the power switch UP: turns off the unit whilst retaining its state (so that the thing is in 'suspended' or 'sleeping' mode). Power switch gets pulled back to the default state by a spring inside the power switch.

Pull and hold the power switch UP: turns off the unit entirely. Power switch gets pulled back to the default state by a spring inside the power switch.

Pull the power switch DOWN: all controls will be disabled. Power switch will NOT get pupped back to its default state.

...then again, why am I even suggesting these things? Likely they won't be used anyhow due to the design being of the new unit being pretty far already?

About WIFI: it opens up a *LOT* of possibilities, really. Auto-updates (yay), Package manager (BIG YAY), streaming of videos/music (yay), IRC (w00t!!), etc..

That reminds me: the keyboard does need a backlight, so that I can bug people on IRC at night... In fact, I think that plenty of people use their GP2x a lot in bed, in a non-dirty way ofcourse :p

virusx said:
@Dzz: You seem to be in a better mood :)
Have you received a PM from "somebody"?
Or have you just eaten your lunch ;)

I spent last night reading about opengl-es :)

Quiest said:
Arg, 46 pages !?

Can't be arsed to look through what this is about, but I still wanna know it.
Can someone who followed through sum it up for me?

...Those in the know slowly dropping hints about a new system that will probably not be out by xmas....

...lots of ppl ranting about how great it will be to have everything but the kitchen sink included...

...lots of ppl ranting about how terrible it will be to have everything but the kitchen sink included...

...lots of ppl ranting about how terrible it is to abandon the gp2x.. because when the new system is out every gp2x will suddenly fail to work...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=547582

mrsnature said:
...lots of ppl ranting about how terrible it is to abandon the gp2x.. because when the new system is out every gp2x will suddenly fail to work...
Well it's not like the GP32 flourished after the GP2X came along.

I do however have a feeling that the GP2X will be one of those systems that will never go away for years to come in terms of homebrew releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back