Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cowai said:
Orkie said:
cappuchok said:
Craigix has said that the device will have a one-click install system (think Synaptic, I guess) but that it will be completely up to the user whether or not he wants to use it.
I really can't imagine who wouldn't want to use such a system, there is no advantage to doing it 'by hand' unless you are so unskilled you need to, to feel good about yourself ;).

Agreed.

My point, although perhaps not made very clear from what I wrote, is that what we've been told so far points to a device that will be easy to handle for the total newbie but still have the manual configurability to satisfy, say, a Slackware / Gentoo geek or the like. Personally I prefer Synaptic. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
mrsnature said:
...lots of ppl ranting about how terrible it is to abandon the gp2x.. because when the new system is out every gp2x will suddenly fail to work...
Well it's not like the GP32 flourished after the GP2X came along.

I do however have a feeling that the GP2X will be one of those systems that will never go away for years to come in terms of homebrew releases.

Devs will dev for whatever they want to... of course gradually most will abondon the gp2x, but we cannot say there shouldn't be a new machine because we don't want to lose developers to it...

i just don't really understand who many of the arguments are meant for!

Yep, I think the same.
As I said the Gp2X is really special to me.
It have everything I wanted to have on an handheld for years.

Alex. said:
mrsnature said:
...lots of ppl ranting about how terrible it is to abandon the gp2x.. because when the new system is out every gp2x will suddenly fail to work...
Well it's not like the GP32 flourished after the GP2X came along.

I do however have a feeling that the GP2X will be one of those systems that will never go away for years to come in terms of homebrew releases.

I had that initial worry, I'm not worried at all now, it's a totally different machine type :)... The GP2X has many years of life left in it and loads of homebrew will be coming up for it... And surely some of the stuff made for the new beast will be ported to GP2X.

Both machines can co-exist without any real problem :)

Especially if both machines are making use of SDL. Which is, I think, one of the key points as to why the GP32 basically did start to vanish once the 2x came out - i.e. most of the software for it was written using a GP32-specific SDK, and wasn't as simple as switching your environment from GP2x to GP32 and hitting recompile to get it working on the older machine.

Maybe.

Ah I don't hate the GP2X, I like the new Amiga update on it.

It's more to do with how we distributors have been treated and... well... ignored. Having to fix faults ourselves, havnig our ideas and suggestions ignored - even when we helped GPH with many things they asked for.

GPH are never going to 'get it' none of them actually use the GP2X, none of them are into this scene, none of them seem to care about anything (apart from money).

I have to return to coding now :)

I really like what is happening in the Gp2X scene recently.
The Gbax competition gaves us some awesome games.
New Uae, new Mame2X, new psx4all...

predatorramboxxx said:
something crossed my mine when the other people said they where going to make their own gp3x everyone told them they need donors and supporters and loans and partners etc... and that it would never work... so how is this going to work
The assumption probably is that since the cabal here is at least partly business people, and people who has actively worked with GPH and it's contacts, they have the required money. Craig even said so somewhere: "What if someone already paid for this?" or words to that effect.

Apart from all that cool extras, this new device will take us to a next level of emulation?

Will N64 fullspeed emulator happened for sure? I assume PSX will happened but N64?And we need 4 extra buttons for N64 emulator.

I think you should at least tell us the power of this new toy.Double proccesor 360 mhz? Double 500 mhz?

Will be possible 32x fullspeed in this new device?

250 € with shipment included would be my maximum money spent.

Sorry for my english.......

X-Code said:
F**K O*F RIVRONER!!!
:lol: Joking evidently, N64 emulation has already been commented about and seems improbable :)

Yes, i read that comments but then? What we can expect from this new toy? A tunning GP2X but anything else?
More enjoyable actual GP2X emulators and 3D homebrew but....this is not a real step up.

Anyway i will buy it if final specifications and price is what i want.

Yes, i am a weak human being...........

For the success of the newcomer i'd still like to know some things

How will this be marketed?
Are there already devs (Squidge of course) coding for this device or said they would? What are Notaz, Zodttd etc. going to do?

If the marketing choice is bad and there is a lack of devs even the best hardware will fail.

Edit: And what is Hando gonna do? I like this forum :)

Rivroner It is a huge step up if you consider touch screen, WiFi, keyboard, Li-ion, 2D/3D HW Acceleration, erm... And all the other stuff :)

And N64 is improbable, but maybe not impossible.

Also, this machine is really not a step up, it is a step apart B) as far as I can see.

We're all weak :lol:, want a beer?

craigix said:
Ah I don't hate the GP2X, I like the new Amiga update on it.

It's more to do with how we distributors have been treated and... well... ignored. Having to fix faults ourselves, havnig our ideas and suggestions ignored - even when we helped GPH with many things they asked for.
I have no trouble understanding that. I'm actually a bit surprised that y'all have had the patience to keep trying for so long, despite the brick-wall nature of GPH. Some people complain about the "GP2x-hate" - I haven't seen any. I have seen some discussion of the faults of the GP2x, but they are all well-known and we all love the machine anyways (except for the unforgivable error of the placement of the headphone jack - WTF?!? :blink: )

Some GPH-hate, possibly, though. Which at least to me is justifiable - The have a nice thing and they, honestly, dont give a f*ck.

It would be interesting to know, though - Does GPH know of this venture? How did they react? Do they react at all?

Apart from all the hot air blown around here (the summary by mrsnature is spot on), this sounds like a very good idea. Personally, I love the idea of a slide-out keyboard (then again, I'm always trawling online auctions for Psion 5mxs/revos :lol: ) to get true usability for things like the spectrum emulator. The price will be cruicial, though.

Moxie said:
It would be interesting to know, though - Does GPH know of this venture? How did they react? Do they react at all?
GPH lost the war already so who cares? :)

b_o_b said:
Moxie said:

Nice, you've got your name fixed!

b_o_b said:
I didn't know there was a war, even :blink:

No, but seriously - To me, GPH comes off as slightly...autistic, perhaps, as a company. Not really reacting to the world like normal entities would. I just wonder if they have sort of noticed at all?

I believe, regarding CPU speed, that Squidge already said of SNES emulation that (approximately) it ought to be able to run two copies of an unoptimised emulator at full speed simultaneously.

From this, we might be able to (dubiously, admittedly) infer:

- Dual core (known elsewhere)
- Both cores likely the same speed, and, in all likelihood, fully featured with an MMU. Which implies two 940t cores minimum.
- If we can find the speed that an unoptimised SNES emu would work full speed on the 2x, therefore, we can induce a minimum possible speed for both of those cores.

I leave that up to the heavy overclockers of the 2x to work out in actual MHz, but it probably wouldn't be too far off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back