Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he said it ought to run simultaneously two copies of an optimized SNES emulator on a proper Linux port. And he never said both would render anything on screen :)

mrsnature said:
but we cannot say there shouldn't be a new machine because we don't want to lose developers to it...
Who exactly said that? That's not the point. I think more or less everybody wants a new and improved system, but not all 2 years and not at all cost.
I would like to see programs for the GP2x which fully take advantage of its capabilities, e.g. like programs for the C64 or the Amiga in the good old times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the problem ist: The gp2x wasn't state-of-the-art when it came out (the GP32 was advanced at that time).
Therefore, it outdates faster.

EvilDragon said:
Well, the problem ist: The gp2x wasn't state-of-the-art when it came out (the GP32 was advanced at that time).
Therefore, it outdates faster.
Technically perhaps. But from the concept, there is a very big jump fom GP32 to GP2x in my eyes.
Question: What is the estimated time before there is a successor to your new console? Just your own roughly guess, please.

Orkie said:
cappuchok said:
Craigix has said that the device will have a one-click install system (think Synaptic, I guess) but that it will be completely up to the user whether or not he wants to use it.
I really can't imagine who wouldn't want to use such a system, there is no advantage to doing it 'by hand' unless you are so unskilled you need to, to feel good about yourself ;).

Maybe it is because we would like to set up our system how we want to and not how some dev wants us to. The problem with those installers is that every dev has their own idea of where files should be. Combine all of these different ideas from different devs and you have a big unmaneageable confusing mess on your SD card. You don't know what file is in what directory or why.

I personally hate them. They seem to love spraying files and bits of code in all kinds of places and directories. Removing a program after you don't want it and getting out all of the spurious files becomes almost impossible. You end up wasting card space with garbage files that you don't know the purpose of.

If you install yourself and put things in places that make sense to you then it is cleaner and you can manage them much better.

I agree with DaveC also sometimes devs releases two versions of emus and stuff but then again we don't have to use it.

mfk said:
It has keyboard and touchscreen. I think it was clear enough from our earlier posts.

Answers for some comments;
1 - This is not a game console but has superior gaming controls.
2 - This is something you can carry in your pocket.
3 - This is not a second hand laptop.
4 - Your laptop battery would last in 2 - 2,5 hrs only.

People used to compare PSP vs GP2X, now i think they will compare this with some laptop configuration. We made a good progress... ;)
It looks to be more of a Zaurus competitor than a laptop. In any case, from the specs leaked so far, I can safely say, I won't be buying one. :glare:

Mindless said:
mfk said:
It has keyboard and touchscreen. I think it was clear enough from our earlier posts.

Answers for some comments;
1 - This is not a game console but has superior gaming controls.
2 - This is something you can carry in your pocket.
3 - This is not a second hand laptop.
4 - Your laptop battery would last in 2 - 2,5 hrs only.

People used to compare PSP vs GP2X, now i think they will compare this with some laptop configuration. We made a good progress... ;)
It looks to be more of a Zaurus competitor than a laptop. In any case, from the specs leaked so far, I can safely say, I won't be buying one. :glare:

Why?

woogal said:
DaveC said:
This was basically in response to the post that said it should have a keyboard. No, I wouldn't prefer vertical resolution of 320 I would prefer a control layout such as the GP2X but instead of the volume buttons there would be two regular ones there. Then you could flip and play those full size with comfortable controls. If it has a keyboard then you can't do that as the keyboard is in the way forcing you to play the system always in the horizontal orientation. When you do this you have a narrow vertical image of 320-ish pixels high that you have to stretch to 480 (well I suppose you don't HAVE to stretch it but then you would have an image that is like 1" across). I guess these games are no big deal to most here, so nevermind.
Why are you assuming the gaming controls are on a keyboard? What we've been told is it has good gaming controls and a keyboard, not where they are positioned or that you must use the keyboard when playing games. There are plenty of phones that are slide or clamshell but still have a dpad and buttons that are usable when shut, so why can't you use some imagination and stop being negative about something you haven't even seen yet.
I assume from various comments etc and from other places.

"People used to compare PSP vs GP2X, now i think they will compare this with some laptop configuration. We made a good progress... "

It seems like this thing may be putting computer and internet stuff in front of gaming and/or will sacrifice some ergonomics in the game control area for this. Me, I could care less about internet on a handheld. There so many places to get internet that that feature is meh to me. It seems like they are going for a more mainstream audience that rather surf the net. Playing MAME games etc is not popular enough to make this sell good I suppose.

Whatever my reservations are about a new console, the fact that the distributors are taking matters into their own hands and creating their own system makes me want to support them. I think it's pretty clear now that GPH would've never given us the console that we wanted. Also, there's a timing issue here I think and while I would've much rather had the GP2X last a few more years by itself, we may not get another system then.

On the other hand, I have to side a little bit with the conservatives here. I have a Blackberry and a computer already. I don't want another one especially if it will drive up costs on the whole device. The great idea with the gp2x is that while it doesn't have everything out of the box, you can plug some stuff up to it, and turn it into whatever you want. I say keep the design simple, like the gp2x, and please focus on games. That's what this community is all about.

sam fisher said:
Mindless said:
mfk said:

Why?

Basically for all the same reasons as Hallie Miles.

Also because, if I wanted a keyboard and a touchscreen, I would have bought a Treo, not a GP2X. (don't give me crap about how they're not comparable)

Rivroner said:
Apart from all that cool extras, this new device will take us to a next level of emulation?

Will N64 fullspeed emulator happened for sure? I assume PSX will happened but N64?And we need 4 extra buttons for N64 emulator.

Will be possible 32x fullspeed in this new device?

Without knowing anything other than what's been stated in this thread, I'll just note that Squidge told us we can probably forget about N64 on this machine. And frankly, I don't care. If we can get fullspeed PSOne, that's as "next-gen" as I want, and it should be possible to further increase speed and compatibility of several other emulators including UAE (A1200 doesn't seem totally implausible (?)), PocketSNES, MAME and gngeo for instance. Even given the already impressive performance of these emulators on the GP2X, there's definitely room for improvement with a more powerful SoC, and with WiFi there's the latent potential for netplay as well.
As for 32X emulation, I do hope so but notaz would probably know more. Given how well Genesis and SegaCD performs even with an underclocked GP2X, I'd say it's possible.

DaveC said:
Orkie said:
I really can't imagine who wouldn't want to use such a system, there is no advantage to doing it 'by hand' unless you are so unskilled you need to, to feel good about yourself ;).
Maybe it is because we would like to set up our system how we want to and not how some dev wants us to. The problem with those installers is that every dev has their own idea of where files should be. Combine all of these different ideas from different devs and you have a big unmaneageable confusing mess on your SD card. You don't know what file is in what directory or why.

I personally hate them. They seem to love spraying files and bits of code in all kinds of places and directories. Removing a program after you don't want it and getting out all of the spurious files becomes almost impossible. You end up wasting card space with garbage files that you don't know the purpose of.

If you install yourself and put things in places that make sense to you then it is cleaner and you can manage them much better.

A good point. If a oneclick install system is to be used, there has to be a fairly set-in-stone standard for how and why files are placed. Having myself gone from Slackware to Red Hat and now on Debian, I've noted that every Linux distribution seems to have it's own set of hows and whys of file placements, different init script schemes and so on. There's something to be said for manual control, but as long as there's a standard that is well documented and consistently used, I don't see a reason why a oneclick system would be a bad thing. After all, you don't have to use it. You can run a Debian install and still compile and install your own stuff from source if you like, but since there's a consistently implemented and stable oneclick system including autoupdate features, I don't see a compelling reason not to use it. But if someone would like to get to know the system on a deeper level like you do with a Gentoo system for example, the possibility is there according to what we've been told so far.

I would prefer that it isn't a clamshell and that the keyboard simply slides out, playing games on something like a Zaurus SL-C isn't comfortable :)

A design more in the line of Zodiac, but with a front slide-out keyboard would definitely be nice.

Edit, as for package managers... I couldn't care less as long as I have options to override them :)

cappuchok said:
A good point. If a oneclick install system is to be used, there has to be a fairly set-in-stone standard for how and why files are placed.
Certainly. "Thou shalt create one directory and one directory only on the root of the SD card, whose name matches your app. Thou shalt put one and only one executable file with the extension ".craigix" in this directory (though you may put other files there). Thus will the menu know what to show the dumbass user. Thou shalt not put any files anywhere else, but ye may create subdirectories as needed inside your domain." Or whatever.

Some people will still whine about that, but for them we can set up a site where the app is batched up in ".arc" format, then UUEncoded and split into 50k chunks for transmission on alt.binaries.gp4q, just for the retro experience.

*If this device will have wifi, a mic is a must-have.*
Voip!

Reading all this thead, this machine seems a zodiac/gp2x with steroids.

Will it have one or two sdio slots?

Bluetooth?
An internal clock?

Can you use bluetooth and wifi at once? (to use a bluetooth headphones-mic while playing/browsing throught internet)
Will it have drivers for ppc/palm accesories?

The battery can be replaced with a futuristic alcohol cell batery?

From my point of view I like the versatiliy of Zodiac. But Zodiac it's limited by processor and palmos(and more things like no mic).

Can this be more versatile than Zodiac?

X-Code said:
I would prefer that it isn't a clamshell and that the keyboard simply slides out, playing games on something like a Zaurus SL-C isn't comfortable :)

A design more in the line of Zodiac, but with a front slide-out keyboard would definitely be nice.
Edit, as for package managers... I couldn't care less as long as I have options to override them :)

I really think the keyboard should just be something that clips on to the bottom, so people who want a game device can just remove it and people who want a PDA can keep it on.

X-Code said:

Plus as I said that type would make 100s of vertical arcade games not play well. How would you rotate a Zaurus to portrait mode? I hope it doesn't end up like a a Zaurus either.

I had a Zodiac and it was shit for gaming too. The crap analog stick sucked for emus and it was just too thin to be comfortable gaming on for a long time. So not like the Zodiac either.

I still say it would be nice to have the KB so that it could be removed if you want. You could always use the touchscreen for that in a pinch. It is more flexible that way and will make both the gamers and the net browsers happy as they can choose for themselves.

jmetal88 said:
X-Code said:

I really think they keyboard should just be something that clips on to the bottom, so people who want a game device can just remove it and people who want a PDA can keep it on.

So would I, but as it's being forced on us and no one tells us how it'll be... :lol:

X-Code said:
Playing games on something like a Zaurus SL-C isn't comfortable :)
True but the clamshell design protects it... if this ends up being my one and only super gadget i don't know how i would feel about having the screen fully exposed, hopefully there will be good protection on the screen like on the iphone because my last cell phones screen broke simply because a coin got lodged in between the number pad and screen while it was closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back