Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that some people complains about lack of supporters, sponsors, partners, companies and money. How do you know that? This production is handled professionally in every stage by professionals. This won't be a one time impact. We are getting in for a continuous effort on this.

have you talked to the payback guys? will there be updates to the commercial games, so we can continue to use it with the new machine? hmm? :)

i just bought vectar and haven't played through payback yet. maybe i should hurry up to do so before christmas ;)

I am so excited about this, but all this GP2x hate is a bit odd, I mean did Craig mention all this here...?

All those people insisting in backwards capabilities, just keep your GP2x. It's a great machine still, albeit with a few caveats!

A new handheld when gp2x havnt been used to the max is wrong.

Let's hope that GPH releases a new SDK and or tell us how to use thier HW properly :D
We have 2D acceleration/mp3 decopmpresion between others.. and I dont think we have used it properly yet.

lubidog said:
I am so excited about this, but all this GP2x hate is a bit odd, I mean did Craig mention all this here...?

Exactly I find the change of tack difficult to stomach personally just to promote something new.

The gp2x is still in my opinion the best thing I've bought for a long time.. We all know the shortcomings it has - god knows how many threads we've had about that. Now everyone seems so keen to jump ship.

It's great for many that a new handheld is in the works, but until we see something tangible, it's just talk about how great it will be (I hope it will be though). None of this stops the gp2x being what it is/does; and I'm sure most of us have been pleased with the progress that has been made on it (devs have been great). It doesn't stop being useable just because something better is on the horizon (tsk no loyalty some people :)).

Last edited by a moderator:
If a new handled is coming I'll never sell my Gp2X back.
This handled have a place now in my gaming hstory.
Beating my loved NEC GT Turbo in term of portable gaming experience.
So... Wait and see the new beast...

fc991fac.jpg

:blink:

One thing that I really want this new thing to have is an easy way to reinstall the firmware/linux/whatever in case it's buggered up, without the need for something like a JTAG cable and special software.

Some sort of cradle would be nice (as an addon), so I could drop the new console onto it and it would charge, whilst I could also sync any files on it through a USB connection to my PC.

Sure it'll have a cradle, it would be silly to not make one for a machine like this // Totally agree about the JTAG stuff :)

I'm going to keep my 3 GP2X units, I love coding for them. This new machine is a nice little extra to my weird collection of hardware.

Backwards compatibility means that by launch the GP3x has plenty of (quality) software for it already, so... :)

Hmm... What about USB Host and TV out? Will those be on the unit itself? USB Host I personally think is very muchly so needed (preferably three or four USB host ports: one on top, one on left, one on the right, and one on bottom. Or maybe two/three on top and one on each side. Bottom might not be ideal due to the slideout keyboard though). TVout could be utilized through an ext-style port on the top of the unit, but the TVout cable *HAS* to be delivered with the unit itself. Either no TVout at all (bad!) or TVout 'delivered with the unit' (may it be on the unit itself or through a delivered cable).

The SD card slot has to be somewhere where your hands are positioned all the time, so that proper peripherals can be placed on 'clear' places. I do not like at all how my laptop has the DVD-slide on the LEFT, and two USB ports plus extra monitor on the RIGHT, where people usually place a proper mouse. Placing the DVD slide on the right is much more sensible, obviously.

A firmware-only button which takes you to the 'main menu' of the unit (a bit like the PSP's 'HOME' button, but without the forced-to-exit-to-go-back-to-the-XMB thing) would be ideal, too, to improve multitasking and quickly taking a glance at the battery status and such.

What about other buttons? Currently, many emulators use a gazillion or more button combinations to allow for various features. I know that with a touchscreen and the two vertical bars on both sides of the screen caused by the aspect ratios will certainly allow for plenty of 'button room' already, but some extra buttons won't ever hurt, right, especially if the design and hardware/price (I do not think adding an extra button costs much, right) allows for it!

Personally, I like the GP2x for its 'bulky' buttons, which are big and easy to 'feel'. The PSP has very irritating buttons.

Hmm. Time for some futurethink..
You're playing Sonic (what else) on a Genesis emulator on the 'GP3x'. Suddenly you feel a bit of a stutter in the emulator, so you touch the left black space on the screen, and a menu smoothly appears with a smooth fade-in. You tap the bottom-right corner of the screen, a FPS meter appears in the same smooth fashion, showing you a number ranged from 40 to 50. You find a slider which corresponds do the CPU clock setting on the left side of the screen. crank that up a bit, and the FPS meter goes up, after which you close both the FPS mter and the left-side menu. After having done that, you tap the black bar on the right side of the screen, which turns into a 10x10 grid of blocks each marked with a number and a color which is either grey, green, blue or red. You tap a blue block, the 'main game screen' fades away and in fades a snapshot of a savestate, you hit a red cross, and you go back to the game itself. You double-trap a grey block, and the game automatically saves state into that saveslot. Then you tap the slot you just saved to twice again so that you can give that savestate a name, slide open the keyboard, type "Stage 1-2", hit enter, close the keyboard and get back to playing the game.

Hmm.. Seems futuristic and nice. Good times.

@lubidog, JimmySlam and kevcal

Is is very nice to see a few people sharing exactly my opinion.
A new open source konsole is a very good thing, but it comes to soon and flaming the GP2x is in my opinion not the best behavior to push the new device...

Regards,
Stephan

Javacat said:
One thing that I really want this new thing to have is an easy way to reinstall the firmware/linux/whatever in case it's buggered up, without the need for something like a JTAG cable and special software.
Well, at the moment, the way to fix a buggered system is to insert an SD card whilst pressing another button, and it boots from the card instead of the internal OS. The OS is then reflashed to defaults.

Maybe this will be an entirely new type of device then....a PGA...Personal Gaming Assistant? ;)

Squidge said:
Javacat said:
Well, at the moment, the way to fix a buggered system is to insert an SD card whilst pressing another button, and it boots from the card instead of the internal OS. The OS is then reflashed to defaults.

Similar to the Zaurus yet again... I think that I'll like this new hardware :)

Mewanna see a prototype...C'mon you heartless people!!!

Had to try my luck :lol:

fmaanimefreak said:
Nope, GP went bankrupt. It's been said that even GPH isn't making it. This new company doesn't seem to be in any way affiliated with GP. Although the supposed backwards capability with the GP2x does seem kinda odd...

-fma
A company going bankrupt does not mean that the former employes suddently disappear. And hardware development isnt exactly expensive as long you don't need demo boards or any commercial aid you could get.

mfk said:
It has keyboard and touchscreen. I think it was clear enough from our earlier posts.

Answers for some comments;
1 - This is not a game console but has superior gaming controls.
2 - This is something you can carry in your pocket.
3 - This is not a second hand laptop.
4 - Your laptop battery would last in 2 - 2,5 hrs only.

People used to compare PSP vs GP2X, now i think they will compare this with some laptop configuration. We made a good progress... ;)
I hope that the keyboard is easily hidden (as in slide-out) or is detachable, as it would seem a bit weird to me having to play games with my palms over a keyboard the entire time...

1. This is not an improved GP2X.
2. This is not a GP3X.
3. This is not a GP-anything!

So get over gamepark already!

There's not so much flaming going on here, if you ask me.

We were talking about the horrible first edition release. And that WAS horrible.
I had to fix over 200 gp2x First Editions myself (Flickering LCDs, headphone ports falling off, etc.) and had to CHECK them before I could ship them out.
LikSang didn't even sell them because of that faults.

The MK2 is way better built. This one is okay. Still lacking the support of GPH (and we DID try to talk to them, nice guys, but they do not want to improve the gp2x... we showed them the DPad, etc. Nothing happened).

These are flaws that have always been there. Somebody posted a link to craig's review: Yep, the gp2x is a nice little machine, it can do everything that's on the review.
Still, the first edition was horrible and did cost us distributors a lot of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back