Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fusion_power said:
mfk said:
Frankly speaking; 10 hours of battery life is a dream at the moment. I think we should kill this rumor too.

Yes, if this 500MHz rumour is true, 10h are very unlikely. No Gaming device on this Planet has 10+ Hours playtime with an 500MHz (+) processor.
I would be happy with just some MORE battery lifetime THAN THE GP2X :)
Craigix said:
PS I did not say it was dual 500mhz, that was a fake post, let's kill that rumour now!
Craigix confirmed a few posts back that it doesn't have a 500mhz cpu... If this thing is going to use li-ion, I would very much hope that it can get at least 6hrs.
Oh and DaveC I sympathise. I think on every count 4:3 is a better ratio to use for this type of device - that is except for availability, which means money. I would really prefer 4:3 vga, but, eh, guess I'll have to live with it, or keep playing my GP2x. It looks to me that the feature list is designed to attract more than just Emuaholics and etc too. I mean come on, a keyboard? You only need that for like, adventure games...

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeladin said:
It looks to me that the feature list is designed to attract more than just Emuaholics and etc too. I mean come on, a keyboard? You only need that for like, adventure games...
Come on! What about some web browsing, instant messaging, office applications and some on the fly coding?

mfk said:
Zeladin said:
It looks to me that the feature list is designed to attract more than just Emuaholics and etc too. I mean come on, a keyboard? You only need that for like, adventure games...
Come on! What about some web browsing, instant messaging, office applications and some on the fly coding?

So, it's confirmed? There will be a keyboard on this system itself? :blink:

On the go coding and web browsing on a 800x480 screen, me likes :)

This is shaping up to be an open UMPC more than anything else. :)

Alex. said:

Yes...but a UMPC with a usable control scheme for emulation =D

So Quake 3 level OpenGL ES support? nice, I'll can port my 3D engine :)

Well, my 3D engine is going to be ported to GP2X gpu940 anyway, but more power means better graphics and better framerate :)

Now I have to find the way to get the money before the device is out... :(

discounts for developers please! :D

DaveC said:
That is just it, you can't do integer scaling and centered. It will have to be fractionally scaled (320 doesn't go into 480 evenly you know) plus the image will be like 1.5" across. Not too great.
Don't be stupid Dave, you're trying to fit the 320 horizontal resolution into the 480 vertical resolution, which the 240 vertical resolution should be fit to. Perfect doubling.

I'm with DaveC on this one. What's the reason for choosing a widescreen? I never felt I needed more space sideways on my gp2x. Is it because of the psp widescreen hype? The extra room sideways just seems unnecessary and will also make the unit bigger. I'd much rather see a nice large 640x480 screen. I play more games than I watch movies on my gp2x so black borders on the movies make more sense than having them when I play games. Just my 2 cents.

geise69 said:
Alex. said:

Yes...but a UMPC with a usable control scheme for emulation =D

Like a nokia n800 with good control (and more powerfull?)

Alex. said:

Yeah, I am almost certain this will catch a lot of people's attention. This will gather a huuuuuuuuuge audience that aren't just interested in games. They might be interested in mobile computing, portable media/entertainment, and even just feel like getting it because it's cool - sort of how the iPod is today. It will be competitively priced compared to say, the raon vega and other umpc's.

I really hope that GPH will release a new system to combat this. Maybe they will have learned their lesson and want to actually send a not alright, not good, but GREAT (tony the tiger, lol) system. I just hope it doesn't split us all apart. :( I know that this site is for people dedicated to the two gamepark systems and now this might come to an end if GPH doesn't do something.

What do you guys think?

mfk said:
Zeladin said:

That's my point exactly :) . It makes this device more attractive to more than er - just us. Yet by the sounds of it it will still be great for... us... I fact I believe it hits exactly what an Mobile Internet Device should be right on the head.

Look at the scenario, I have a backpack with me, its got a decent laptop in it, and also a 'GP3x'. I'm waiting for a bus - I'd like to quickly check my mail, /skype home to let then know I'll be there for dinner. What am I going to go for... And if I didn't have it, would I really bother? What if the bus comes and I still have my laptop out?

To my mind, this is what could make this successful + games and a bazillion emus and homebrew...

Edit; We must quickly hide this site to avoid all the whingeing MID/UMPC users....

If some of you have gone back though my posts over the last few weeks or months even I have dropped a few hints about walls we may have hit with certain areas. One of them is a 640*480 screen. It is not possible to use such a screen due to Sony having some kind of agreement with sharp.

You can't just buy a load of LCDs and make them work, you need detailed information and approval from the manufacturer, a lot of the manufacturers have deals with big companies in which they agree not to supply 'unknown devices' with their LCDs. (this is probably to stop clones)

This also goes for other areas too such as Wifi, SD, even Dpads.

However over the last 4-5 months we have sourced and confirmed some excellent parts and supplies which actually ended up making the system even more cutting edge than we had planned.

We are still working out the battery size and life, we won't ship the system until we have this working very well, we want a good life even with wifi always on (that is the battery killer).

This console needs to have backwards compatible because I still want to play games I have brought for the gp2x like wind and water puzzle battles

Just my thoughts on the choice of a widescreen display: If it's 480 height I could care less about the width. As long as a 320x240 display can be scaled 2x without being squished or stretched, I don't mind black bars on the sides, and it should also allow for a nice interface and possibly informational sidebars.

mfk said:
Why is people asking for single core CPU? There are many advantages of using dual core. Yes it's harder to code for it but performance is better when it's used properly.

On screen keyboard? We won't need that actually.
I agree on the choice of a dual core IF it is a proper dual core where both cores can be used easily, and not an ugly hack like the MMSP2 was (is). Proper dual core can mean dramatically increased performance in some emulators.

I do hope some kind of keyboard will be available, preferably a physical one (springloaded slideout keyboard perhaps), if for nothing else it would make the Linux terminal infinitely more usable and it wouldn't hurt emulation of old computers (think UAE, DOSbox) either.

fusion_power said:
And @ ED: I really want to know If I can plug my old Vanson AC Power Device into the new Handheld. (buyed in ED's Shop with my GP2X over A year ago) I really don't want to buy a new power adaptor AGAIN ( I have a huge collection of power AC adaptors but none was useful for GP2X )

And if the plug size for the new handheld is not finished, please use a thicker connector, the thing on the GP2X is so tiny, it looks really weak.

(Yes, I've heard about USB-charging here but I don't want to switch my PC always on, when I want to charge my handheld :lol: )
There are very nice power adapters with exchangeable tips and reversible polarity, some of them also come with USB tips so you can charge USB devices without the use of a computer.

EDIT: The way things are looking now, I'm buying one of these as soon as they're available.

Ugh. I'm kind of confused (reading these threads backwards might be the cause of that. ;) )

1) Does anyone actually already have the unit in prototype form built? Some posts by mfx and EvilDragon seem to suggest that they do have a prototype unit...

2) How will it ever be possible to sell these new units at the same price as the GP2x? Less profit? If so, that seems to be very generous, and probably the right thing to do for an open-source handheld device. :)

Now some comments:

Wifi - Great. WIFI is simply great. WIFI is probably why I tended (bricked, getting it repaired) to use my PSP a bit more often... You know, I once couldn't sleep at night, figured I'd like to watch Star Wreck IV (such horrible awesomeness!), downloaded it via Google Video straight onto my PSP (no PC needed there. Just used the RSS thing) and watched it. WIFI certainly opens up a lot of possibilities, too.. Webradio, automatic uploads, automatic downloads, rom-finder-program :)D), etc..

Touchscreen, although great and useful for a lot of games (adventures), and although nifty and such, I fear might cause a bit too much oddness at certain programs... You know, you're using the dpad and buttons, and then you'd have to use the touchscreen function. It's like typing a message and then having to use the mouse to click the "send" button, which is irritating, designwise... Question: will the touchscreen need a stylus, or will it also work with fingers?

Anyways, what's stopping you all from just releasing media or lots of detailed information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back