Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the screen is so big, I hope, the Device is powerful enough to scale all the 320x240 emulators up. It's not much fun to have a mini 1:1 res on a big screen with a thick black frame around (play GPSP on gp2x for example emu is great - resolution is bad)
I'm not a hardware-pro so I want to know if pure scaling costs much processor Power? lets say we double the pixels for Picodrive for example, no filtering, is this a big performance killer instead using 1:1 res?

And @ ED: I really want to know If I can plug my old Vanson AC Power Device into the new Handheld. (buyed in ED's Shop with my GP2X over A year ago) I really don't want to buy a new power adaptor AGAIN ( I have a huge collection of power AC adaptors but none was useful for GP2X )

And if the plug size for the new handheld is not finished, please use a thicker connector, the thing on the GP2X is so tiny, it looks really weak.

(Yes, I've heard about USB-charging here but I don't want to switch my PC always on, when I want to charge my handheld :lol: )

So did GPH simply not respond to your requests, or did they give polite nods and not do anything?

The whole GPH business is probably a hobby for those people, they're obviously not earning a living from it, so perhaps that's why they're so neglectful.

EvilDragon said:
Well, it's not that we didn't try to talk to GPH and convince them to do all that... and what has happened...?
They replied only once... In Korean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, so does GPH have anything to do with this one? If they don't, I can understand what you're doing and fully support you guys.

If you want to play shooters sideways and don't want or like the controls, there's nothing stopping you from plugging in a joystick :)

lets say we double the pixels for Picodrive for example, no filtering, is this a big performance killer instead using 1:1 res?

No, You will not notice any speed difference.

I really want to know If I can plug my old Vanson AC Power Device into the new Handheld. (buyed in ED's Shop with my GP2X over A year ago) I really don't want to buy a new power adaptor AGAIN ( I have a huge collection of power AC adaptors but none was useful for GP2X )

No need to buy one, it'll come with one in the box :)

The only thing new we know for sure that the gp3x might be able to do game-wise is emulate the N64

Emulate, yes, at a decent speed, doubtful. So lets forget that one shall we before it gets out of hand?

fusion_power said:
When the screen is so big, I hope, the Device is powerful enough to scale all the 320x240 emulators up. It's not much fun to have a mini 1:1 res on a big screen with a thick black frame around (play GPSP on gp2x for example emu is great - resolution is bad)
I'm not a hardware-pro so I want to know if pure scaling costs much processor Power? lets say we double the pixels for Picodrive for example, no filtering, is this a big performance killer instead using 1:1 res?

The GP2X does this now so I am sure pixel doubling would take not much power. The new one should easily do that.

I just hope devs won't just rely on filtering to solve all problems. When you do this the image ends up blurry and the contrast goes down the tubes. It would be nice if some selective software scaling that only averages the needed pixels was used. Notaz used this for MegaCD and it looks much better than any bi-linear filtering.

Squidge said:
If you want to play shooters sideways and don't want or like the controls, there's nothing stopping you from plugging in a joystick :)

Yeah, that is real portable ;)

Why not just design it so that it works well that way from the beginning?

DaveC said:
pepone said:
DaveC said:
"Oh, 800x480 isn't that bad for emulation.
PSP is bad, because the screen is too hires for 320x240 emulated games (leading to pictures in thumbnail size) and too lores for doubling the games resolution (which makes them ugly when scaled)."

I guess this may mean the screen is a widescreen. Kind of a downer for emu freaks, but those who like to watch movies on tiny screens will be happy.
800x480 is not bad, it permit a good double scaling. If the beast is enough powerful, some cool effect like scale2x might even be possible :)

Yeah but the wide aspect causes other problems due to the width of the screen. Because it is so long it forces either a bigger unit or a control layout that makes vertical games hard to play at a decent non-fractional scaled size. CPS2 was mentioned but how will those shooters be played?

Y'know, Dave - and I realise this may be an alien concept for you - but you could just elect not to buy or support this thing. Y'know, instead of constantly whining about the screen, and attacking everyone who even suggests there might be the merest hint of a possibility of widescreen?

We know you don't like widescreen. We also know that you don't like integer scaling centred in a widescreen (because the black bars offend you for some reason). Can you give it a rest now?

Oh, and here's a smiley to prove I'm not flaming you: :p

D.

Dunny said:
We know you don't like widescreen. We also know that you don't like integer scaling centred in a widescreen (because the black bars offend you for some reason). Can you give it a rest now?

Oh, and here's a smiley to prove I'm not flaming you: :p

D.
That is just it, you can't do integer scaling and centered. It will have to be fractionally scaled (320 doesn't go into 480 evenly you know) plus the image will be like 1.5" across. Not too great.

mfk said:
Frankly speaking; 10 hours of battery life is a dream at the moment. I think we should kill this rumor too.
Yes, if this 500MHz rumour is true, 10h are very unlikely. No Gaming device on this Planet has 10+ Hours playtime with an 500MHz (+) processor.
I would be happy with just some MORE battery lifetime THAN THE GP2X :)

mfk said:
Actually GPH people is very nice. The problem is none of them using a GP2X. :ph34r:
Let me get this straight- they design and produce it, but don't ever use it themselves? what is the sense in that?

Surely they can't have done it to make lots of money, but if they aren't interested in the hardware, what is their game??

I am guessing the price will by between 220 and 250 american. Craig says that this thing wont cost much more than the gp2x. ;)

mfk said:
Frankly speaking; 10 hours of battery life is a dream at the moment. I think we should kill this rumor too.
So, what would be a realistic number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back