Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That q3a port looks nice, and its running at 5fps on a gpu that can "only" do 831k polys.
I cant wait to see that on the new "gp"

Hmmm, quake2 online would also kick ass.

saehn said:
This is pretty long, but it's everything I've read so far. Of course some of it may change or prove to be inaccurate, but it's all based on the available information and references are provided for each section. This is my way of making up for my sensationalist topic headline. :)

Reliable sources: CraigIX, EvilDragon, mfk, Squidge

Screen: touchscreen
--------------------------------------------------------
Source: mfk
Quote: Community wants Wi-Fi so it'll be definitely included. Same for touchscreen...
Link: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...044&st=270#

Add this from EDs post:

"Oh, 800x480 isn't that bad for emulation.
PSP is bad, because the screen is too hires for 320x240 emulated games (leading to pictures in thumbnail size) and too lores for doubling the games resolution (which makes them ugly when scaled)."

I guess this may mean the screen is a widescreen. Kind of a downer for emu freaks, but those who like to watch movies on tiny screens will be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways. I am pretty excited at the moment. C'mon craig! give us some rock hard facts...

EDIT: Never mind... I was being too quick with scorning someone again... guess I am a little edgy lately whenever something seems like a flame/complaint whatever...

Quake3 does run on the hardware although i've not seen it running myself.

It seems quake3 is a good benchmark for what the hardware can do, it's a quake3 level 3D chip, so Quake 1 & 2 should fly.

The RAM will be 128MB. I think this is the maximum we can use without complications.

PS I did not say it was dual 500mhz, that was a fake post, let's kill that rumour now!

DaveC said:
I guess this may mean the screen is a widescreen. Kind of a downer for emu freaks, but those who like to watch movies on tiny screens will be happy.
What about all those widescreen CPS2 games or Ghouls'n'Ghosts?
Cut off when playing with the gp2x.. I'd rather see them and have some space for information with all the other emulators.

Last edited:
wooooohooooooo... now that's nice... some more please. Tell us about that keyboard design. Will it be a slide out? will there not be a keyboard at all? will it be on screen?

DaveC said:
PSP is bad, because the screen is too hires for 320x240 emulated games (leading to pictures in thumbnail size) and too lores for doubling the games resolution (which makes them ugly when scaled)."

800x480 is not bad, it permit a good double scaling. If the beast is enough powerful, some cool effect like scale2x might even be possible :)

Vimacs said:
That q3a port looks nice, and its running at 5fps on a gpu that can "only" do 831k polys.

1. The Q3A port is is on a vertical widescreen. How can it work on a GP2X?

2. Isn't there already a Quake II port on GP2X? I know it's not online, though.

n8archer_XI said:
Vimacs said:

1. The Q3A port is is on a vertical widescreen. How can it work on a GP2X?

2. Isn't there already a Quake II port on GP2X? I know it's not online, though.

1. well... spin it around? there is support for doing that in the gp2x' hardware as far as I know. also... on a gp2x it will never ever run. see 2.

2. yes there is a port but it is horribly slow and pretty much only proof of concept.

retroDude said:
128 MB of Ram does sound amazing! :D
Does it mean that neo-geo large roms and similar would not need to stream from the sd card anymore?
Yes!
Well, actually I can't say for sure, but 128MB seems more than enough for me. A game like Garou need a little less than 90MB just for the roms. so it depends on how many ram will be free to used.

EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:
What about all those widescreen CPS2 games or Ghouls'n'Ghosts?
Cut off when playing with the gp2x.. I'd rather see them and have some space for information with all the other emulators.

They are not widescreen ;) They all were displayed on 4:3 arcade monitors. The pixels were not square. If you display with square pixels on a widescreen the aspect will be way off. Circles wil be ellipses. Just try CPS2 at 1:1 on the Gp2X, you will see it looks squashed looking.

pepone said:
retroDude said:
128 MB of Ram does sound amazing! :D
Does it mean that neo-geo large roms and similar would not need to stream from the sd card anymore?
Yes!
Well, actually I can't say for sure, but 128MB seems more than enough for me. A game like Garou need a little less than 90MB just for the roms. so it depends on how many ram will be free to used.

NICE!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

craigix said:
Quake3 does run on the hardware although i've not seen it running myself.

It seems quake3 is a good benchmark for what the hardware can do, it's a quake3 level 3D chip, so Quake 1 & 2 should fly.

The RAM will be 128MB. I think this is the maximum we can use without complications.

PS I did not say it was dual 500mhz, that was a fake post, let's kill that rumour now!
What will the clocks of the (assumed) 2 cores be?

This thread makes me sad. I know that this system won't be out for a least another 8 months, but still :(

Why can't we upgrade the gp2x that's already out? It could be much better with wifi, cheap li-on battery pack, d-pad, proper usb, fixing the volume, moving the headphone jack, better LCD viewing angles.. the list goes on and on. Also when I buy it, I won't feel like I'm killing the GP2X :p

By releasing a system updated in power, you're effectively splitting the market in the short-term. If the market (the open-source handheld market) is really that small, then whatever sales are obtained from this new device will be minimal as well. Not including the added cost of extra RAM, CPUs, GPU, etc., that will make this unit more expensive than the GP2X.

I think a games machine lives and dies by its software (solid advertising notwithstanding). People will always be excited by new tech, because of the new possibilities that come with it. However, new tech means nothing if there's no software to back it up. The only thing new we know for sure that the gp3x might be able to do game-wise is emulate the N64 and have a couple of PC ports. Imo that alone just doesn't warrant a new handheld. The GP2X hasn't run out of steam yet software-wise. Actually, it's just beginning. Maybe the gp2x's market is tech-oriented and I'm missing the bigger picture here..

Personally, I want any new handheld to be a revolutionary step over the former one, not an evolutionary one. Everyone agrees that many of the features that will be in this new system should have been implemented in the gp2x. Throw existing users a bone and give us that system instead :p

Well, after all my ranting I'm sure that it will have counted for nothing :) It's a shame though that system with so much potential actually managed to have a shorter lifespan than my Atari Jaguar ;)

pepone said:
DaveC said:

800x480 is not bad, it permit a good double scaling. If the beast is enough powerful, some cool effect like scale2x might even be possible :)

Yeah but the wide aspect causes other problems due to the width of the screen. Because it is so long it forces either a bigger unit or a control layout that makes vertical games hard to play at a decent non-fractional scaled size. CPS2 was mentioned but how will those shooters be played?

DaveC said:
Add this from EDs post:

I saw that, but it didn't seem commital enough. I'll put it down as "possibly". And I'll add 128MB as the RAM.

Jaguarandine said:
Why can't we upgrade the gp2x that's already out? It could be much better with wifi, cheap li-on battery pack, d-pad, proper usb, fixing the volume, moving the headphone jack, better LCD viewing angles.. the list goes on and on. Also when I buy it, I won't feel like I'm killing the GP2X :p
Well, it's not that we didn't try to talk to GPH and convince them to do all that... and what has happened...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back