Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
saehn said:
This is pretty long, but it's everything I've read so far. Of course some of it may change or prove to be inaccurate, but it's all based on the available information and references are provided for each section. This is my way of making up for my sensationalist topic headline. :)
Great summary saehn. :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Saehn! Very useful and kept me from scanning through all the previous posts. :)

So the price is going to be around the Gp2x's, eh? I'll probably be buying when its out then.

Good summary - although the MMSP2+ comment..
That was about sticking the MMSP2+ in the gp2x.. (I think) or have you derived that from other posts?
I suspect it will be the MMSP2+.. it seems to fit..

Memory, how much approximately ( I had to re-ask :lol: )

TV tuner? ( just a thought but I think that someone mentioned it before )

Applecake and a cold Erdinger? - oops, this doesn't go here.

Edit: Not that I want a TV tuner, but I was curious about the possibility

kevcal said:
You could be right. Though my fave the i.mx31 has refreshingly good documentation, and if comparing the engineering teams at freescale and magiceyes, i think i know which one i'd like to bet on :)

Until they choose to dribble out this particular bit of info, we can have fun speculating!

Craig mentions the dual core and the fact that each processor is clocked at 500mhz here, Just thought you might like to add it to your summary saehn.

Trooper

kevcal said:
Good summary - although the MMSP2+ comment..
That was about sticking the MMSP2+ in the gp2x.. (I think) or have you derived that from other posts?
I think so too, though it is not 500mhz as Craigix suggested/muttered about.. He may have been rounding up though... But I don't know of many dual cpu chips... Also its on 45nm AFAIK which means super low power consumption. Let's not forget the validity of Evil Dragon's 'April fool'...

Mfk seemed to suggest some form of keyboard too - I'd stick that in the list there saehn.

I think we needn't worry too much about memory 64-128 should be fine IMO.

I do think we could do with some hard info at this stage... seems like they've given a whole lot away. Hyping up entirely successful, now we need a re-drool at getting actual details and confirmation...

I really hope we have actual usb host port on this thing...

Edit; Nevermind... ;)

EvilDragon said:
Dzz said:
mfk said:
Why is people asking for single core CPU? There are many advantages of using dual core. Yes it's harder to code for it but performance is better when it's used properly.
And we're still waiting two years later for it to be used properly on the gp2x. A few apps use it for a few things, but only a small fraction.

If this is a hint that the new system has a "dual core", that narrows the possibilities quite a bit :)

Well, the problem with the gp2x 2nd CPU is the missing RAM for it...

Damn, I was looking forward to one higher specification single core :(

trooper said:
Craig mentions the dual core and the fact that each processor is clocked at 500mhz here, Just thought you might like to add it to your summary saehn.

Trooper

That post was a hoax. Look at the user name.

trooper said:

Trooper

Lol, thats not Craig its Criag!

Edit: Beaten by Dzz and his dizzyingly fast reply speed!

Edit 2.0: Is the i.mx31 dual core? I really liked the idea of the i.mx31 but if its only got a single core and mfk has hinted at a dual-core SoC :(...

Zeladin said:
I think so too, though it is not 500mhz as Craigix suggested/muttered about.. He may have been rounding up though... But I don't know of many dual cpu chips... Also its on 45nm AFAIK which means super low power consumption.
MMSP2+ is 130nm.

trooper said:

Trooper

Unfortuanately that is "criagix" and not craigix ;)

Edit: lol, I'm too slow. This thread is really burning hot!

I was wondering if there could be a way Craigix could maybe give a small discount to devs, since they would be the ones that make the whole device worth having in the first place? The more apps that are developed for the device the more people would want to buy one.

Dzz said:
Zeladin said:
I think so too, though it is not 500mhz as Craigix suggested/muttered about.. He may have been rounding up though... But I don't know of many dual cpu chips... Also its on 45nm AFAIK which means super low power consumption.
MMSP2+ is 130nm.

Curses foiled again! Thanks for the correct info though.

Magic eyes is a division of Samsung, so I was told. Maybe its just Samsung who do the manufacturing /shrug. I really should check my info... Well anyway Samsung have 45nm. But as clarified by Dzz, its not 45nm.

So, maybe it isn't the mmsp2+... I prefer the idea of multi cores, its kind of lower power than, a single mega GHz chip. Then you can just downclock a single cpu to whatever is most energy efficient at the time.

predatorramboxxx said:
n8archer_XI said:
If I'm able to play Quake III online on whatever the hell this new device is gonna be, I'll buy two!
you know there is a axim v51. it has like what everyone is asking minues a dpad but there has been a lot of mods for controlers and ect...
How exactly does Axim v51 get me Quake III?

TheMinder said:
For £30 the 2X would suddenly become a remarkable buy ;)
:blink: *drool*

I'd buy it at that price even if this new device is already released!

What I want:

1. If no compatibility with the GP2X cradle attachment, I better be getting something...

2. The MK2 joystick was fine with me. I'm fighting game fan, so either I get a good joystick, or a crappy (moddable) joystick and a D-pad.

3. I know we're getting wi-fi, so just to make sure...

4. Quake III: Arena. Playable. Online over wi-fi.

5. A price below 175$ American.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back