Last edited by a moderator:
CPS3 hardware specs (from Wikipedia):

Main CPU: Hitachi HD6417099 (SH-2) at 25 MHz
Storage:
SCSI CD-ROM drive
RAM (variable amount)
Flash ROM: 8 x 16 MiB
Sound chip: 16-channel 8-bit sample player, stereo
Maximum number of colors: 32768 (15 bit colour, 555 RGB)
Palette size: 131072 pens
Colors per tile (backgrounds / sprites): 64 (6 bits per pixel) or 256 (8 bits per pixel), selectable
Colors per tile (text overlay): 16 (4 bits per pixel)
Maximum number of objects: 1024, with hardware scaling
Scroll faces: 4 regular + 1 text overlay 'score screen' layer
Scroll features: Horizontal & vertical scrolling, linescroll, linezoom
Framebuffer zooming
Color blending effects
Hardware RLE decompression of 6 bpp and 8 bpp graphics through DMA
Resolution, pixels: 384×224 (standard mode) / 496×224 (widescreen mode)
Known games on this hardware: 6

From System16.com ( http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=799 ):
Main CPU : Hitachi SH2 @ 25 MHz
Storage : SCSI CD Rom, RAM and Flash ROM.
RAM : SIMMs on the left will physically hold 16M of data each (each has 8x 16M Flash ROMs, there's 4 SIMMs plugged in on this board). The SIMMs on the right will physically hold 8M each (there's 4 Flash ROMs on each board and there are 2 SIMMs plugged in)
OSC : 60MHz. 42.9545MHz, XTAL 3.6864MHz

Doesn't seem like it's too much for Pandora (but I could be wrong). So perhaps it will happen.

It's in MAME, so source code exists to build an emu on, and ElSemi would probably help out with info for someone who wanted to get CPS3 emulated on Pandora.

SFIII would be amazing on Pandora for sure, and with TV-out it would be especially nice. Plugin some USB arcade sticks and you're all set. Too bad there were so few CPS3 games, but SFIII alone is worth emulating.

Hirolaser said:
fullspeed 60fps CPS1 first.
CPS1 (and CPS2) are givens. Both have been emulated full speed 60fps/0fs on less powerful platforms than Pandora.

Prophet said:
jens.l said:
Masterall has already made a working version on pocket pc and mobiles.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hOzFEtg1hmc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y7AVRaxi8KE

Interesting. But the frame rates are very poor. Definitely not playable that way.

But that's on a Tilt lacking video drivers. I believe I've spoken to the author of that video, if it's who I'm thinking of. Other PDA phones have had much better, playable framerates of CPS3 with sound. Now I'm curious to test it with my 6700 clocked to 624 mhz. I've had little desire since I think all the CPS3 games are fighters - and there's only 6.

Prophet said:
Hirolaser said:
fullspeed 60fps CPS1 first.
CPS1 (and CPS2) are givens. Both have been emulated full speed 60fps/0fs on less powerful platforms than Pandora.

It would be very nice, if CPS1+2+3 could be in one Emulator at the end. I don't like the old GP2X setting where you need so many different Emulators even for Consoles of the same company.
So besides the CPS Series, there also could be a Emulator for the common SEGA Consoles, like DRMD did but I would prefer PicoDrive with additionel MS+GG Support.
Nintendo could be split into Gameboy+GBA Emulator and NES+SNES Emulator etc... :)

If I could play Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on a handheld, I don't think I'd ever allow the thing to leave my hands. SF3's nice too, I suppose.

I play CPS3 full speed on my UMPC but that has a 1.1 GHZ CPU and 512 MB RAM. Not sure how well it would work on a 600 MHZ CPU but I guess the 3D GPU could be used to take a lot of the load.

Back