COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the title of the document kind of gives it away. The difficulty of selecting the root-cause of death. Take page 19 of the PDF (page 13). The root cause for the HIV patient or the root cause for the accident: Person had accident, person had ruptured aorta (main heart blood vessel), caused traumatic hypovolemic shock. One is and the other is not classified as covid death. I found that most interesting: how do they know the person not get unwell during travel which ultimately caused the accident. (a bit like pilots that get unwell - but fortunately, there's always a second pilot)
It also throws the illness codes, which is nice to see again. Which leads me to: https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/S00-T88/T79-T79/T79-/T79.4 and revisions in code. Which leads me to wonder if my old translations in 2013 from ICD9 to ICD10 needs to be revised (but it's an old project for which I did not spend much time on to keep up-to-date year by year, and the dev did not reply back I hope @HelenF is still happy with it- probably learned the new codes by now and doesnt need to look up old codes)
I don't have a source for this one, so consider it a rumor, but I read somewhere that Covid hospitalization in the US also counted general hospitalization as Covid hospitalization if the patient got tested positive in the require entry-test of the hospital.
So I can imagine sometimes it's not easy to determine the cause for hospitalization or death and possibly this can cause a bias, which can influence statistics.
I also read somewhere that the Netherlands is going to randomly probe Covid tests to see if they detect the flu, I imagine they want to know how many people have flu instead of Covid.

This is alarmist / inflammatory reporting pandering to anti-vaxers. The title is incorrect, he wants to mandate vaccines OR weekly tests, which are totally reasonable. Shame on you BBC.
Surprise, surprise (not really; check their Brexshit reportage...)

This is alarmist / inflammatory reporting pandering to anti-vaxers. The title is incorrect, he wants to mandate vaccines OR weekly tests, which are totally reasonable. Shame on you BBC.
While it can be considered reasonable the rejection is not because it's unreasonable, it's because they found "grave statutory and constitutional" issues with the rule.
States could introduce this mandate, just not the president himself.

This is alarmist / inflammatory reporting pandering to anti-vaxers. The title is incorrect, he wants to mandate vaccines OR weekly tests, which are totally reasonable.
Yeah, it is just a violation of medical privacy, non-discrimination, and bodily autonomy. And employers are mandated to enforce this whether they want to or not.

Last edited:
a violation of medical privacy
are you saying people don't have the right to know if they have covid?
non-discrimination
so since there are no covid tests we cannot discriminate, we treat everyone equally, and we must all isolate always. great idea.
bodily autonomy
heinous swab orifice penetration
employers are mandated to enforce this
map/reduce init

are you saying people don't have the right to know if they have covid?
No.
so since there are no covid tests we cannot discriminate, we treat everyone equally, and we must all isolate always. great idea.
Actually, the discrimination was referring to vaccinated vs non-vaccinated, not covid-19 vs non-covid-19.

Anyway, since you evidently think that untested people ought to always isolate, do you think that the vaccinated, who would be the only untested people, would need to always isolate? If not, why not? Vaccinated people can still get and transmit covid-19. How can we beat covid-19 when those vaccinated spreaders are walking around freely?

It seems that you are missing the point. Bodily autonomy does not have to be justified by showing how terrible the procedure would be. It does not matter why someone wants to refuse an invasive procedure. Bodily autonomy is a fundamental human right without which no other right has meaning. Someone even having to justify why he does not want to not have an invasive procedure is going way past the line.

Last edited:
Actually you might have a point. Just because you're double vaccinated, it doesn't mean you don't have covid-19 and aren't infectious. Seems to me like it would be sensible for all employees to submit to testing, hence no discrimination.

What I find interesting is that supposedly the booster shots are just the initial shot at half dose (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html). So does this mean that covid-19 immunization expires? Or is this just to make people even more immune than immune? How many times will they have to repeat their shots before they become immuniest?

It's common for many vaccines to have boosters. The "expiration" date varies from vaccine to vaccine and from people to people. When you have only a few vaccinated people (for example animal handlers who have rabbies vaccines), you can have check their immunity level and determine whether or not they need a booster shot. When the vaccine is widespread (as is the case with the mandatory vaccines in France), it's easier to just set a general "expiration date" and adapt it as you go (and as vaccines improve).

This is an interesting post, so I've gone and fixed the spelling and minor structural problems.
...COPY BEGINS HERE...
This has to do with how immunity works. When you are born you get a big set of receptors that is mutated and shuffled around at random (using vdj recombination if you're interested a cool mechanism) you end up with a lot of these different receptors that each are present on different cells. Then during your life the cells that recognize your own body or common things you eat are turned off (sometimes not completely efficient, i.e. allergies) others you encounter less often will trigger a response, your body tries to get rid of the substance that triggers it, this is done by macrophages; a cell type that can eat other cells and clear them out. These are the cells that do the work but not the cells that maintain your immune system. The cells that do maintain the immune system are b-cells they together with macrophages and different T-cells get the job done.

What happens during a vaccination, we add RNA to some of our cells, these cells start to express a spike protein from the corona virus, the macrophages and other immune cells recognise a non-body protein and start to attack (there is a local inflammation). When the macrophages eat these cells, they start to present the parts they recognised on the outside of their cell, (that's why they also call it antigen presenting cells), then the B-cells come into play together with T-cells they now recognise the foreign particle and start making antibodies (that were randomly made by recombination as mentioned before). These antibodies recognise the spike protein and in turn activate more macrophages. If the proteins remain more and more antibodies get made.

So we end up in a situation where the B-cells that make anti-spike antibodies are now activated and divide a lot therefore giving a high concentration of these specific B-cells. Now other types of B-cells and T-cells form the memory that means there is a small reservoir of B-cells that can immediately be clonally expanded into a lot, skipping a lot of the first parts I was telling, and that's how the immune system works. We can bypass a lot of selection steps when we have an immunity. Now this works best when we are young and less and less when we get older, the immune system in pre-teens is still being set up for a lot of pathogens, while in later life (there is less evolutionary selection after we have kids) we are assumed to have had all necessary immunization.

Thus the current vaccination do cause a lot of antibody producing cells to be present for a while in our blood and high levels of antibodies that might neutralize the virus or activates macrophages, but it might wane in some persons if the memory has not been set completely or not at all, they do have protection while the antibody production lasts but if the antibodies are not used by the body it will turn of the production. Different vaccines are more or less capable of triggering this memory. In many vaccines memory is only triggered after two or more in time separated events. A booster shot might help to get the memory installed so to say.

disclaimer: I'm not an immunologist therefore this is more a sketch than the actual situation, I do have a PhD in molecular biology so you should be able to recognize the actual situation from the sketch.
...COPY ENDS HERE...

He swabbed me
<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="19377043" data-share-method="host" data-aspect-ratio="2.46154" data-width="100%"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/ghostbusters-slimed-gif-19377043">Ghostbusters Slimed GIF</a>from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/ghostbusters-gifs">Ghostbusters GIFs</a></div> <script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>
(there is a local inflammation
It's less localized than you think,

I went and signed my booster paperwork today. Am getting the thing tomorrow. I just had a thought I can't believe I didn't have until now. Since these vaccines use lipids as an ingredient, is it possible that cholesterol medication like statins could lower their effectiveness?

Well, googling 'covid-19 vaccine and statins' mostly led me to results about how statins were thought to reduce severe COVID-19 risk, and then later results which conflicted with those earlier results. Nothing on how it affects the vaccine.

I don't know if you guys noticed, but the US lifted travel restrictions on more than thirty countries, just in time for the holidays.

Don't fear that dark cloud in the distance. It is just weather, and does not symbolize impending doom in any way.

I do not totally get this, but the article has been written... still searching for the original source:
I haven’t read it (other than the title) but I guess one take may be that it’s trying to signal conspiracy that Covid-19 isn’t what we think it is, however other explanations may be valid such as:
If air pollution is bad, more people will spend more time indoors with poor ventilation (windows closed) and wearing masks less indoors because of the increased need to wear them outside —> spike in Covid-19 cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back