Contacting Developers...

While this could be a good idea don't you think it would be better to do it after the GP2X is released? Who is going to develop for a small console (they would do it for a well known company like Nintendo or Sony) that has 0 units sold? After the GP2X is released and is selling they can look at numbers and get a better feel for where the console is going.

Start early. We can always ask them again (and again and again). But we need to get the ball rolling! We need games --> sold units --> games --> sold units, it has to build up. We need every game we can get so everyone should be asked. And if they have no interest at this point, ask them again half a year later.

DaveC posted on Oct 28 2005 at 01:18 AM said:
While this could be a good idea don't you think it would be better to do it after the GP2X is released? Who is going to develop for a small console (they would do it for a well known company like Nintendo or Sony) that has 0 units sold? After the GP2X is released and is selling they can look at numbers and get a better feel for where the console is going.

The fate of GP2x is unknow to a degree but this doesn't mean someone wouldn't take a risks. We should not be asking for much. Just for some opinions and some ports of games what could be done at low cost. 3DRealms' Balls of Steel is a good example because it's a 2d game, was already selling for a long time and could be ported with SDL easily. You see - low cost means company isn't risking much. If BoS could be ported by one person within say a five days (this isn't unreasonable) then even if it sold poorly no real loss for a company.
(I personally would buy BoS for the GP2x immediately)

"attack early, attack often" - only by persistence we might actually get somewhere. So I did send two emails so far but here at GP32x are over 5000 users. If only 1/10 of them done the same the effect would be much, much stronger. I'm looking forward to find other companies to bother. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brownie Brown...for God's sake someone please find the contact info for Brownie Brown. He did THE best looking game for the gameboy advance. Magical Vacation was only released in Japan, but it is THE best looking 2D game I have every seen on the GBA.

I don't have a clue if he'd even be remotley interested, but it wouldn't hurt to ask...

Like most people getting the GP2X, I like playing games wether they are emulated , homebrew etc.

In particular, I like RPGs.
However we could also use some applications. PDF software, Rich text file editors
soft screen keyboards, appointment software etc.

Personally I'm going to work on porting some open source 2D CAD software, something that would help me in my line of work.

Point is, it doesn't have to be limited to just game developers. Who knows, could be some of those application developers can bring a fresh slant on games or emulators.

just my 2 cents . . . :)

The Gp2x is pretty unique being so open and what it realy needs is a killer app that will make people stop and say "wow, thats very cool, i want one". Nice idea judge0 for having something useful for work, ideal for young commuters. Appointment software wont be very useful because their is no built in clock.

What we need is a bunch of devs/artists with good business sense who could break a deal with other software houses to port some of their 2d back catalog, it might not have worked too well for Loki Games (Wikipedia link) but definately worth looking int to.

Wouldn't it be good to mention the 3000 preorders in the mail? I assume that this is a nice number for such an unknown device.

Digitalrat posted on Oct 28 2005 at 03:11 PM said:
Wouldn't it be good to mention the 3000 preorders in the mail? I assume that this is a nice number for such an unknown device.

YES! Is it from an official source? If indeed then any link would be great.

ED said that in the german forum. (http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?t=116&highlight=300 if you understand german ;) )

icurafu posted on Oct 29 2005 at 12:41 PM said:
Digitalrat posted on Oct 29 2005 at 05:03 AM said:
ED said that in the german forum. (http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?t=116&highlight=300 if you understand german ;) )

It was on the korean site. 500 units to the koreans and 2500 units to the "Forigners."

http://www.gp2x.co.kr/support/support_suge...unho=32?=00

And from what I understand that sold quickly
Bad babelfish translation from www.gp2x.co.kr said:
In amount of material 3000 high price it was printed initially with First, Edition the customer field by a many demand it became accomplished. 500 to the Korean customer field were assignment plan from in these 3000.
It looks like the first 3000 will have First Edition printed on them, it might make it collectable one day? B)

only the first 500 that goes to korean customers have "first edition" printed on it afaik

The GP2X is out, it has sold 8000 units in the first two months but the official release with campaign is yet to come. Maybe you have got time to contact some developers again?

One thing I would like to point out is that even though not many commercial developers are releasing products for the GP2X, don't think that their programmers aren't writing games, emulators etc. for it as a hobby ;)

I've used your email and wrote to Guido Henkel (planescape torment!) from G3 Studios
( http://www.g3studios.com/ - not really working for me though, but they seem to be alive)
Since he did several small games for mobile phones I thought he might be interested, and I got a positive reply, he said he will definitely keep an eye on it.
Would be cool, he's one of my favourite developers (I just wish he would make some RPGs again ;) )

Back