Comparison matrix for keyboard layout proposals

I made an "augmented" ible 3 version, whose only difference from ible 3 is that <> are on shift+,. instead of Meta+,.

(with some hidden elements shown as well, but not labeled on the final device (in blue)):

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/bee7e460206c991a9a4fa0a2839588b7

Again, only ,. <> and ;: are different from ible 3:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/adb6c1b203882e92f8a3886e9b1a448d

I prefer version 3 more than 3aug, but it's hard to tell that without making the coding combos a bit more invasive to calculate.

Comparison matrix link for convenience:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mVNNzLhmhyA4sCIAPSoDv404xtctfLSiEMTtTlEzfw/edit

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going through this list of languages by number of native speakers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

and I'm excluding the languages with a non-Latin-based writing system, because for those, it's hopeless anyway. (I'm also excluding some African and Asian languages)

Spanish: 405M native speakers, needs ñ ¡ ¿ ´ ¨

English: 360M native speakers, needs nothing extra

Portuguese: 215M native speakers, needs ç ´ ˆ ~ `

German: 89M native speakers, needs ß ä ü ö

French: 74M native speakers, needs à è é ù ç œ ¨ ˆ

Turkish: 63M native speakers, needs ç ş ö ü ğ ı  (can be covered with dead , for ç ş, dead . for ı, and we could let g-caron (ǧ) produce a g-breve (ğ) because it looks similar)

Italian: 59M native speakers, needs ´ `

Polish: 40M native speakers, needs ć ń ó ś ź (can be covered with acute), ż ą ę (can be covered with dead . and ,), and ł

Tagalog: 28M native speakers, needs ñ ´

Yoruba: 28M native speakers, needs ´ ` ˇ ˆ .

Romanian: 24M native speakers, needs ă â î ş ţ (can be covered with caron (technically breve), circumflex and cedilla (technically comma))

Dutch: 21M native speakers, needs ¨ ´ `

Swedish: 8.7M native speakers, needs å ö ä

Danish: 5.5M native speakers, needs å æ ø

Norwegian: 5M native speakers, needs å æ ø

We can cover all of those languages (and thus a large proportion of the community, I would suppose) with my new proposal.

I call it "_wb_ international"

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/98bb2cc055bae7e0a0385d470b9e2275

Here is the link to the big table again for convenience:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mVNNzLhmhyA4sCIAPSoDv404xtctfLSiEMTtTlEzfw/edit?usp=sharing

You also have the shifted version as a labeled unshifted Fn key
I can say with absolute conviction that this is one thing that really really bothered me on the Pandora: I had to hunt for twice as many keys. Even today, I know exactly where single-quote is because I use it so often but if I need the double-quote I need to think about it, because it isn't where I expect it to be at all. I just kind of accepted that this was an unsolvable problem, that there were going to need to be Fn+keys that did "shift+key" equivalent because of how few keys there were.But then you came along and pointed out that fn+shift+key combo and I realized how much of my headache that solved. It really does make sense, just in a general sense even, not specifically for DosBox or QEMU or any other potential application that may come along.

WizardStan: Can you link to what you are talking about?

Where is Fn ever used like that? Can you explain why it makes sense? Why would things be broken in 2015?

WB: If you arent doing 15 compose keys, and AltGr, you cant say its hopeless.

I dont understand the continued belief in that its ok to remove keys from the keyboard. Its not international, its regional arrogance employed in almost non-discriminatory broad fashion towards everyone else.

Edit: If *language* fails for person who speaks *language* then what do you have left? A keyboard that works for?

You also have the shifted version as a labeled unshifted Fn key
I can say with absolute conviction that this is one thing that really really bothered me on the Pandora: I had to hunt for twice as many keys. Even today, I know exactly where single-quote is because I use it so often but if I need the double-quote I need to think about it, because it isn't where I expect it to be at all. I just kind of accepted that this was an unsolvable problem, that there were going to need to be Fn+keys that did "shift+key" equivalent because of how few keys there were.But then you came along and pointed out that fn+shift+key combo and I realized how much of my headache that solved. It really does make sense, just in a general sense even, not specifically for DosBox or QEMU or any other potential application that may come along.
You don't know how relieved I am that someone else 'Gets it' on this particular issue of key pairs. From _wb_'s most recent layout above, I think he's starting to come around though. So there may still be hope.

I don't think we'll ever get comaradekingu to accept reality though. I had originally thought that he would be jumping for joy over this layout:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/9156e2971235de513c368a4f8aa49de0

Based on the US ANSI standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#United_States

Because with it's properly placed right Alt key it can quite easily do this:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2a0d638adab6a5b607c27fc6d3af6f14

Based on the US International standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#US-International

It seems comaradekingu is not willing to accept anything that cannot be mapped directly into a full-on Norwegian keyboard layout down to exact key positions. Luckily enough for the rest of us, that is not a 'primary language' that needs to be supported. That Norwegian keyboard is a monstrosity for the rest of us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#Norwegian

I don't think we'll ever get comaradekingu to accept reality though.
I'm just waiting for ED to find time to come back around and start reviewing things. I've got more faith that he'll at least see the merits. Whether he agrees or not is a different story, but I'm certain he'd at least understand.

What sort of reality is it that "we" cant get comradekingu to accept?

I never argued the issue of typing Norwegian, thats just a bonus. Its for case of argument made to type german, the type of functionality other layouts shoehorn in, in ways that are sub-optimal.

You fail to grasp the notion of adverse and beneficial effects. Supporting less languages isnt fortunate. If you only have english as a primary language, you arent supporting it, you are _not_ supporting everything else.

Which seems to work just fine for some people, on a international keyboard, it doesnt. The US international layout, has interesting tricks up its sleeve, but as you will notice, regional layouts are better, more prevalent, and preffered.

And as a note for wb, we dont have to exclude any of the main diactrics, no matter what argument you present for doing it, its a lesser preposition.

The US international way is already explained and working, we dont have to cut the spokes out of an already functional wheel.

This is my opinion about http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/9156e2971235de513c368a4f8aa49de0

• There doesnt seem to be an Alt key on the keyboard part. Atleast not one that i can find.
  • Backspace where there should have been a button.
  • Cant switch the extended alphabet onto the in the wrong place fuller layout keys, because they are full up with things. Also enter is in the way. Either do it or dont. Dont pretend.
  • Missing numberrow, no longer splitting things down the middle, this is an issue for all people, most all of the time.
  • The spacebar, is non-centered. Why isnt it in the middle when it could be?
  • There are keys that arent supposed to be bottom-row, on the bottom row. So you took pairs that americans use, and disregarded americans who know how to use an american keyboard.
  • Not finding things in the places they are supposed to be, ruins muscle memory, and is daunting. Especially so for all non-american/UK people.
  • The shift is in a slalom-position.
  • There is a hurdle for each of the often used combinations.  comma space  dot space shift  dot enter shift 
  • A B X and Y is in a never used orientation.
  • Duplicated ß between pressing AltGr+s and orange+F.  Æ is flat out not needed. Unless you are typing old-english, or cherry-pick the things you want to write in danish or norwegian.
  • There is a lot of stuff here i have no idea how to use. Looks like an advanced calculator first time you see one. Try showing it to someone, you'll be suprised how different people are.
  • I no longer know where the AltGr combos are, because the buttons have moved.
If you can get that out of the way ill provide you with my full view of things that fail.

US-International is a standard, but if you want to make it work on a Pyra keyboard, then you need a keyboard with an AltGr that works on all keys: letters, number row and punctuation keys. So in your proposal that would not work at all, because only AltGr+letters is available.

Also US-International is quite annoying because it turns ` ~ ' " ^ into dead diacritics, which means that you always need to press space afterwards to get the actual character. This is perhaps OK for backtick, but for the others it is really annoying if you ask me.

Also US-International is basically optimized for Iberian and Scandinavian languages (and Icelandic or Old English Þ and Ð), but it's not so good for some other languages: e.g. for French it lacks dedicated è à keys, and support for Eastern European languages is almost zero (no caron, no ogonek, no dot).

So with that in mind:

And as a note for wb, we dont have to exclude any of the main diactrics, no matter what argument you present for doing it, its a lesser preposition.
The US international way is already explained and working, we dont have to cut the spokes out of an already functional wheel.
I do think that my proposal:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/7154da244376c7bc3db1fa65ca878431

is better than the unlabelled partial version of US-International you propose, which takes a not-so-great standard and removes from it some important things like the number row AltGr symbols (e.g. ¡ £ €) and the punctuation-key AltGr symbols (e.g. ¿ and Ç), thus breaking support for a.o. French, Portuguese and Spanish. You are basically reducing the meaning of "international" to Germany and Scandinavia.

Oh, misunderstanding.

AltGr+letters arent available, it already does something expected.  Which is a great way to stay compatible with the many varied uses of AltGr symbols and conventions.

However Ctrl+alt is available, and that can be used.

So   2x L_alt Alt's  (with shoulder being via'ed)

and 2x thirdlevelshift AltGr's (with shoulder being via'ed)

No R_alt from US international, instead Ctrl+alt to invoke it, as per US international.

Oh, misunderstanding.

AltGr+letters arent available, it already does something expected.  Which is a great way to stay compatible with the many varied uses of AltGr symbols and conventions.

However Ctrl+alt is available, and that can be used.

So   2x L_alt Alt's  (with shoulder being via'ed)

and 2x thirdlevelshift AltGr's (with shoulder being via'ed)

No R_alt from US international, instead Ctrl+alt to invoke it, as per US international.

Wow, you really are an expert at confusion creation. So in your layout, how many kinds of Alt modifiers do you have?

If I understand correctly, you have about six?

• L2 is Alt
  • START is Alt
  • R2 is AltGr
  • the button below START is AltGr
  • L1+L2 is another kind of AltGr
  • SELECT+START is also that other kind of AltGr
Anyway, I added some multilingual properties to the big comparison table, so people may want to adjust their weights/priorities:

• German keyboard symbols labeled (§µ°²³)
  • Euro-sign labeled (€)
  • Pound-sign labeled (£)
  • Spanish support (ñ ¡¿ ´ ü labeled)
  • Portuguese support (ç à ′ ˆ ã õ labeled)
  • Scandinavian support (ÅÆØÄÖ labeled)
  • French letters labeled (àèéç)

What sort of reality is it that "we" cant get comradekingu to accept?
See the forwarding replies. Clearly you have misunderstood or are purposely misrepresenting simple facts.
I never argued the issue of typing Norwegian, thats just a bonus. Its for case of argument made to type german, the type of functionality other layouts shoehorn in, in ways that are sub-optimal.
English is the primary language for this keyboard. I do not apologize for that. Gobbling up keys to more directly support non English layouts cannot be done without infringing on the general computer functionality needed for the English layout. ALL keys must be accessible, even when the shoulders are being used/mapped into game controls. That means all modifiers must be present on both.
You fail to grasp the notion of adverse and beneficial effects. Supporting less languages isnt fortunate. If you only have english as a primary language, you arent supporting it, you are _not_ supporting everything else.
 Everything else is secondary. That said, I have endeavored to support as many languages as possible directly and have provisioned for compose or even AltGr use to cover 'the rest'. That is the best you're going to get. This will not be a full-on AltGr keyboard capable of supporting all regions. There are simply not enough keys to do so AND maintain proper computer functionality.

Which seems to work just fine for some people, on a international keyboard, it doesnt. The US international layout, has interesting tricks up its sleeve, but as you will notice, regional layouts are better, more prevalent, and preffered.
 Again, this layout is English first, no apologies or major compromises in that. Other languages are addressed provisionally.

Which diacritics are you missing that are needed? I have space to add them on the Fn and Shift+Fn level.
 I'm assuming you're referring to your layout - which DOES NOT WORK. Press Alt+F4 while in-game (no shoulders.) Try to use it in DosBox - it fails. There simply ARE NOT ENOUGH KEYS to allow the layout you want. It fails for the most basic functionality. I don't know how to put it more simply than that.

Thank you for the feedback. However, I think you're either misunderstanding or purposely writing negative propoganda in many of these cases.

• There doesnt seem to be an Alt key on the keyboard part. Atleast not one that i can find.
 AltGr is Right Alt and lives with Ctrl on the lower right corner of the keyboard where it belongs. It becomes AltGr IFF the layout is switched to US International from it's default US Standard +.

• Backspace where there should have been a button.
 Backspace is in the top right corner of the keyboard right where it is present in EVERY QWERTY computer keyboard in this list, all 20+ of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY

Again, you're trying to twist this into a regional layout that you can type YOUR language on, and that simply does not work with the number of keys that are present.

• Cant switch the extended alphabet onto the in the wrong place fuller layout keys, because they are full up with things. Also enter is in the way. Either do it or dont. Dont pretend.
Again, you're trying to force non English key placement and layout to support languages with more than 26 characters on a key limited device. There are simply not enough keys to support your desire AND provide for the needed keys for general computer function.
  • Missing numberrow, no longer splitting things down the middle, this is an issue for all people, most all of the time.
Not missing at all. It is simply on the Fn level, but you know this. Numbers or symbols, pick one to have surfaced on the UnFn level. There are not enough physical keys to have both.
  • The spacebar, is non-centered. Why isnt it in the middle when it could be?
Because ED put it on the right. Unless ED says otherwise, we can not change this physical reality. I would prefer to have a centered space bar, but I can not force a physical change on that.
  • There are keys that arent supposed to be bottom-row, on the bottom row. So you took pairs that americans use, and disregarded americans who know how to use an american keyboard.
The keys that are in the bottom row are the same keys that would normally be on the right, with their pairs and order maintained as best as possible. They are on the bottom because there are not enough keys left to right on the physical keyboard to support them in their standard locations AND maintain general computer functionality (Backspace, Fn, shift, Alt, Ctrl, Space, Tab for example).
  • Not finding things in the places they are supposed to be, ruins muscle memory, and is daunting. Especially so for all non-american/UK people.
This is a mobile thumb keyboard and is not expected to be touch typed on. "Muscle memory" is irrelevant. "Mental location Memory" IS important, thus the key pairs are maintained and best efforts were made to keep the keys nearer to their original locations and in near-original order left to right.
  • The shift is in a slalom-position.
Not true at all. There are two shifts. One on the lower left keyboard, one on the right shoulder. I.e. the right shift is on the right, the left shift is on the left. Use whichever is convenient.
  • There is a hurdle for each of the often used combinations.  comma space  dot space shift  dot enter shift 
Not really. Yes, the right thumb will do a bit more work in those combinations, BUT 90% of the world is right handed and will be more comfortable with right thumb actions anyway.
  • A B X and Y is in a never used orientation.
Those are, quite frankly, arbitrary and can be labeled Fred, Mary, Mike and Jake for all it matters. They can be arranged as on the Pandora, or even given symbols unique to the Pyra. The important bits there are PgUp, PgDn, Home, End, Ins, Del logically held together.
  • Duplicated ß between pressing AltGr+s and orange+F.
There are provisions for German, French and Spanish language users WITHOUT having to loose right Alt to AltGr. Those include specific characters AND the 5 most common diacritics.
Æ is flat out not needed. Unless you are typing old-english, or cherry-pick the things you want to write in danish or norwegian.
Again, this is an attempt to allow use by as many people as possible without having to activate the AltGr. Removing it is easy, if it doesn't truly add value. Again, nit picking the details doesn't invalidate the primary concepts.
  • There is a lot of stuff here i have no idea how to use. Looks like an advanced calculator first time you see one. Try showing it to someone, you'll be suprised how different people are.
I have great faith in the adaptability of the human brain. What, exactly, do you not know how to use?
  • I no longer know where the AltGr combos are, because the buttons have moved.
They are paired up to the exact same top level key symbols that they were on the US International layout. The mappings haven't moved, though the keys have.
If you can get that out of the way ill provide you with my full view of things that fail.
Get out of the way? OK. Exactly what, OTHER than the fact you can't map it to Norwegian, fails?

US-International is a standard, but if you want to make it work on a Pyra keyboard, then you need a keyboard with an AltGr that works on all keys: letters, number row and punctuation keys. So in your proposal that would not work at all, because only AltGr+letters is available.
100% Wrong. AltGr WILL work on ALL keys. Letters, number row AND punctuation keys. Using it on letters and symbols is simple and obvious. AltGr on numbers AND shift+numbers is done JUST like using the numbers is.
To use AltGr on the number keys:

1. Turn AltGr ON by switching to a US International layout. This changes the right Alt into AltGr.

2. Press AltGr+Fn+1 to get ¡. Press AltGR+Fn+Shift+1 to get ¹.

ALL AltGr keys are paired to their primary 'root key'. That 'root key' can live on the Fn layer quite happily.

It is assumed, that if you're going to give up right Alt for AltGr that you're also going to be using the shoulder buttons for modifiers. Fn+Shift+Altgr isn't even a particularly difficult 'reach'.

Also US-International is quite annoying because it turns ` ~ ' " ^ into dead diacritics, which means that you always need to press space afterwards to get the actual character. This is perhaps OK for backtick, but for the others it is really annoying if you ask me.
If you're using English, German, French or Spanish (or several other languages) you will NEVER need to turn on the AltGr. There are provisions in the primary keyboard that should allow you to communicate. For you, that AltGr will remain simply as the Right Alt key. It is present for speakers of languages OTHER than English, German, French and Spanish to create symbols that there simply is not room for on the US Standard layout + Fn world. It is a feature/provision to help accommodate VERY non-typical users.
Also US-International is basically optimized for Iberian and Scandinavian languages (and Icelandic or Old English Þ and Ð), but it's not so good for some other languages: e.g. for French it lacks dedicated è à keys, and support for Eastern European languages is almost zero (no caron, no ogonek, no dot).
 Again, you're getting stuck on the AltGr capability that will be turned OFF by default.

French will never need to even turn on the AltGr as there is a dedicated Diacritic key. They can simply select the ` symbol on the diacritic key (shift+diacritic key) which can be done by rolling the left thumb onto shift+diacritic THEN press e to get è. Just like German users can touch the Diacritic Key (sticky) and press shfit+U for Ü.

The Caron and Ogonek and dot diacritics can easily be added to an empty key on the Fn layer IFF we choose to even support those languages.

So with that in mind:

I do think that my proposal:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/7154da244376c7bc3db1fa65ca878431

is better than the unlabelled partial version of US-International you propose, which takes a not-so-great standard and removes from it some important things like the number row AltGr symbols (e.g. ¡ £ €) and the punctuation-key AltGr symbols (e.g. ¿ and Ç), thus breaking support for a.o. French, Portuguese and Spanish. You are basically reducing the meaning of "international" to Germany and Scandinavia.
Again, I did not REMOVE anything from the AltGr layout. There ARE symbols duplicated on the Fn layer to support German, French and Spanish WITHOUT having to activate the AltGr capability.
Ç is present WITHOUT AltGr as a diacritic of ' and C as well.

¿ is present as Fn+/ WITHOUT AltGr so that it is paired to the same key as ?.

You're hung up on the AltGr capability when IT ISN'T NEEEDED for English, German, French, Porguguese and Spanish. AltGr ONLY becomes relevant for languages beyond these, or for obscure symbols. In most cases Compose may be a better alternative for people outside of the English, German, French, Spanish audience to get those few symbols left.

When AltGr is turned ON ALL of the number row AltGr symbols are present and available in their US International positions:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2a0d638adab6a5b607c27fc6d3af6f14

AltGr+Fn+Shift+key IS a perfectly sane and 'doable' action when using the right shoulder keys for Fn+Shift and the right thumb for AltGr and the left thumb or finger to select the key.

English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese speakers will never have to activate the AltGr to begin with.

wb:

There are two kinds of alts. Each of them are included both on the keyboard and on the shoulders.

For the US-international way of doing diactrics there is ctrl+alt.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/7e81eec1ad02e9be1ff546537db1d32b has no select/ctrl hack, and instead FN

If you find a way to do it even simpler, let us know.

The alt and AltGr on shoulders having to be routed around the keycode-layer to effectivly duplicate them, but not appear to be indistinguishable is the only hack.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grench: Why do i have to turn AltGr on? I want one thats on all the time.

Press AltGr+Fn+1 to get ¡. Press AltGR+Fn+Shift+1 to get ¹.
This is unexpected.  shift+altgr+1 and shift+altGr+0 would be more along the lines of how it actually works.

Why would i give up Alt to have AltGr? They are alternate button and alternate graphics. The world needs both those a lot more than the US international crowd needs a dedicated diactric right alt.

Just like taking away AltGr and presenting someone with a key called "meta" fails, it also is ill-fitting to expect all people who need it to be able to use shoulders.

Just want to keyboard, no instructions for how to turn on a MIG-jet please.

100% Wrong. AltGr WILL work on ALL keys. Letters, number row AND punctuation keys. Using it on letters and symbols is simple and obvious. AltGr on numbers AND shift+numbers is done JUST like using the numbers is.
I was talking about comradekingu's proposal. On my and your layout proposals, AltGr will work on all keys indeed.

Grench: Why do i have to turn AltGr on? I want one thats on all the time.
If you choose to have it 'on all the time', then set it and forget it. You're welcome to. BUT by default it will be OFF so that the rest of the world can use the right Alt key as a right Alt key.
Press AltGr+Fn+1 to get ¡. Press AltGR+Fn+Shift+1 to get ¹.
This is unexpected.  shift+altgr+1 and shift+altGr+0 would be more along the lines of how it actually works.
No, THAT is how it works on a full size Norwegian keyboard.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#Norwegian

This is a compressed US International layout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#US-International

EVERY AltGr regional keyboard layout does things differently. There is no complete international standard. US International comes closest to 'doing them all'.

COULD you force a compressed Norwegian keyboard INTO my layout? Yes, but the key tops are going to be US ANSI Standard.

Why would i give up Alt to have AltGr? They are alternate button and alternate graphics. The world needs both those a lot more than the US international crowd needs a dedicated diactric right alt.
Mechanically the AltGr key IS a right Alt key. If you switch the keyboard definition to one with an AltGr key activated, you loose the right Alt to AltGr. That is simply the way it works. Mapping 4+ Alt keys onto a keyboard does not change that fact. It just means that you have 2+ left Alt and 2+ right Alt keys. There are, and always will be, ONLY two Alt keys. You can SWITCH the right one to AltGr IFF you change the keyboard layout to an AltGr version.

Just like taking away AltGr and presenting someone with a key called "meta" fails, it also is ill-fitting to expect all people who need it to be able to use shoulders.

Just want to keyboard, no instructions for how to turn on a MIG-jet please.
"Just want to keyboard" on an primarily English key limited device with provisions for German, French and Spanish.But you want to do it in Norwegian with, "no instructions for how to turn on a MIG-jet please."

THAT is a fantasy.

Grench, do you actually research things?  On both German, french and spanish, ¡ and ¿ are respectively shift+altGr+1 and shift+altGr+ the key to the right of 0

Norwegian is the exception, with it being ¡ and ¹ for altGr+ and shift+altGr+

The reason i said shift+altGr+0 was because we dont have the key to the right of 0.

There are zero FN+altGr combos. You are making that up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wb: I see your point, but i think with limited keys the keyboard has every right to reconfigure the number-row. The only viable alternative is to include more physical keys. So with less it has to be excused. As a whole there is no more functional or behavior-preserving way to do it.

The amount of "look for stuff" should be minimal, and things should be found close to where they are expected.

If we look at what the shift+ and altGr+ of the layouts are between regions is (and i have done a lot of that) we find patterns. They all include a set of things they have in common, because they are useful.

Fortunately that includes what the US layout has on its shift+row in some way or another, so that can be the shift+row.

Meaning there is a composium thirdlevelshift numberrow to include all the rest of the useful symbols. Things I consider to be not useful are ‰ ² and things like that.

So for shift+altGr the only interesting thing left to include is the buttons the french use as primary keys.   é on 2   è on 7 ç on 9  à on 0

The problem you get there is the 0. Which is the candidate for ¿ Which should really have been the key to the right of 0, but i dont think shift+altGr+backspace works.

So you cant do that, and the whole point of it was to reinstate normal behavior. But if its in a non-normal way, and the reason for having it in the first place is the dedicated keys, then we are back to zero for the french.

So the battle is lost there, but i wouldnt say dictating altGr+numbers has a very adverse effect. AltGr+letters is a lot worse of a thing to do away with.

ß@ €® all the icelandic symbols←↓→ ↑« »  and so on and so on for me. Exactly the same adjusted for regional differences for others.

So as a whole id say having AltGr+numbers up for grabs means you hide a lot of ugliness, and you dont put eggs all in one basket. The potential for even unknown trouble is far less if one doesnt try to dictate how people should use their keyboard.

I was never able to dead-key those letters in french layout with ^, so we are down to compose with ctrl+alt.

Grench, do you actually research things?  On both German, french and spanish, ¡ and ¿ are respectively shift+altGr+1 and shift+altGr+ the key to the right of 0

Norwegian is the exception, with it being ¡ and ¹ for altGr+ and shift+altGr+

The reason i said shift+altGr+0 was because we dont have the key to the right of 0.

There are zero FN+altGr combos. You are making that up.
After all of the messages trying to explain it to you, you still do not understand what Fn/Meta/Callitanything but AltGr DOES and how it differs from AltGr.

Fn/Meta/Callitanything but AltGr completely switches the keyboard into a 2nd mode. Although this is not truly at a 'hardware level', it's VERY close to it. To the OS, there are essentially 2 keyboards. It sees one when UnFn (normal) and a 2nd one when Fn is active.

AltGr, when switched ON, works much like DosBox does with US ANSI standard key pairs. It requires a keyboard driver for the region or it doesn't work. It is a translation layer that monitors a keypress on the Right Alt key, then the standard symbol press, then interprets this combination as an additional character. It does NOT change the actual electrical symbol generating from the keyboard.

You can test this. Select US ANSI Standard as your keyboard at the OS level. Instantly the key labeled AltGr on your keyboard will become a right Alt key and all of the symbols AltGr generates will no longer exist. Just the same, I can select a Norwegian driver for my keyboard, right alt becomes AltGr and I can produce your language.

To support AltGr, a keyboard must have a right Alt key, a set of root keys and a driver to flip the right Alt to AltGr.

AltGr exists on a layer ABOVE Fn. Fn is much closer to the hardware as it generates a pseudo 2nd set of hardware keys that can all be independently mapped. Think of Fn as a keyboard double button. You see/use the 2nd set of 'physical' keys when it's engaged. AltGr(when activated)acts on physical keys (even those generated by Fn) to create a software-driven translation of them WHEN the Right Alt is pressed.

Let's try this with ONE physical key. For the sake of this example, we'll use the root 'T' labeled key on this layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2a0d638adab6a5b607c27fc6d3af6f14

Assuming that the end user has turned ON AltGr functionality with a US International keyboard:

Without any modifiers, this produces 't'.

With shift+T, this produces 'T'.

With AltGr + T, it produces 'þ'.

With Shift+AltGr+T it produces 'Þ'.

This physical key ALSO carries the number 5 on the Fn layer.

With Fn+T, it produces '5'. This is the same as pressing 5 on a full sized keyboard.

With Fn+shift+T, it produces '%'. This is the same as pressing shift+5 on a full size keyboard.

With Fn+AltGr, it produces '€'. This is the same as pressing AltGr+5 on a US International keyboard.

With Fn+Shift+AltGr, this key produces nothing. However, if the AltGr layout HAD something on the combination of Shift+AltGr+5, it would produce that symbol.

Different AltGr keyboard definitions/drivers will result in different characters being generated by the same root keys. The main thing they all have in common is that to use them you MUST give it the right Alt key to map as AltGr to function.

Does that help?

I should note that without turning on AltGr, the T key on the above layout produces 4 symbols:

T='t'

shift+T='T'

Fn+T = '5'

Fn+shift+T = '%'

One key, 4 symbols. Every non-modifier key on the keyboard should be able to produce 4 symbols.

Fn+Shift are mashable with either the left thumb or the right index finger (shoulder).

It is not complicated. It is not difficult.

Turning on a 3rd level modifier (AltGr) doubles those 4 potential symbols to 8 per key. On every key.

Back