Common Desktop Environment?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I absolutely adore CDE, and would LOVE to be able to use it on the Pyra. With the MicroSD slot, I may experiment with getting it to work, and if I do, I will post instructions. :D

Most definitely keep us posted! I'd be interested in tinkering with CDE. It has a Motif like look and feel... and sorta reminds me of SGI IRIX or the older Sun Solaris desktops I played with.

That is because it uses the Motif widget toolkit. And that is also because SGI Irix used CDE as its desktop, and so did Solaris.

I won't have any information for you until the Pyra comes out, and I can mess with it. But it works on my desktop alright, I'm using it as my main desktop environment on my laptop right now, and it's great! You can get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/

There is instructions for setting it up, but those are for a regular computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is because it uses the Motif widget toolkit. And that is also because SGI Irix used CDE as its desktop, and so did Solaris.

I won't have any information for you until the Pyra comes out, and I can mess with it. But it works on my desktop alright, I'm using it as my main desktop environment on my laptop right now, and it's great! You can get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdesktopenv/

There is instructions for setting it up, but those are for a regular computer.
How fast is it compared to, say, XFCE, LXDE or KDE?

-Glyph Reader

Very. I find it quite responsive, and it starts up faster too. It's somewhat similar to Windows 3.1's interface though, so some people may not like it.

Oh, I wanna relive my Solaris days!  Please share your findings.  Maybe we can get an update this time next year?

^ I guess I relive my solaris days every day at work.. use CDE not only on solaris boxes we have at work, but on every AIX box too.

running a desktop on these servers sound odd to me
For Solaris they are Sparc workstations that run the test equipment I work on when out on the test floor.. AIX yes for the most part I don't use a desktop, but occasionally I start up an XDMCP CDE desktop because I find it easier to handle multiple things up at once when dealing with multiple screens..

Oh, I wanna relive my Solaris days!  Please share your findings.  Maybe we can get an update this time next year?
I will, but I'm not even going to try this on the Pandora. I'm afraid of messing something up. With the Pyra, it will have a regular Debian package manager, and I should be able to follow the exact instructions on the CDE website.

I will, but I'm not even going to try this on the Pandora. I'm afraid of messing something up. With the Pyra, it will have a regular Debian package manager, and I should be able to follow the exact instructions on the CDE website.
My year update request is me trying not to seem too eager to get a Pyra, and allowing the proper amount of time before they can be produced and shipped.  

Really, I wonder why I don't already have a Pyra in my pocket. 

I have only just heard of CDE, but it looks interesting at least if its lightweight. Can you give me other pros and cons compared to gnome or xfce? Does it play nice with network manager and typical x11 programs?

Network manager requires an implementation of the System Tray. Last time I used CDE, the System Tray protocol didn't exist, and I've not heard of an implementation of it for CDE since (not that I've been looking).

CDE use proves you are a bad ass.
Well... I dont have to prove it so thats nothing =)

Network manager requires an implementation of the System Tray. Last time I used CDE, the System Tray protocol didn't exist, and I've not heard of an implementation of it for CDE since (not that I've been looking).
Okay! I am not bad-ass enough to live without NM. will have a look at Window Maker instead

NetworkManager will work fine. You just use sessionetc to start xfce-panel. That's what I do on my laptop!

CDE use proves you are a bad ass.
Well... I dont have to prove it so thats nothing =)

Okay! I am not bad-ass enough to live without NM. will have a look at Window Maker instead
Hmmm...I have a lot of doubt. :p  

Xfce was originally developed as a clone of CDE.  I've run CDE briefly on an experimental Solaris install (and it seems perhaps some other x86 Unix as well).  However, most of my familiarity with the interface comes from my early Xfce use (well, back then they wanted it written XFce if I recall correctly) along with a bit of OS/2, which was also reminiscent of CDE.  Of course now Xfce is not really much like CDE by default.  You might still be able to coax CDE like behavior with configuration settings, but I'm not sure.

Back