JFS support?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I'm curious, what all filesystems will this support? I help people with computer problems, and I've come across quite a few I need to be able to read. JFS is the most common of the less popular ones I've seen used, so I was wondering if it would be installable, or if I could compile it myself? The Pandora doesn't have it, so I'm hoping the Pyra will.

I can enable it on pandora too, had potentially unneeded things disabled because having a lot of modules slightly affects boot time. On Pyra there should be enough CPU power to not make a difference on boot time.

Just curious, where would you use JFS? Have access to some old IBM machines?

Needing JFS on the Pyra would imply needing to direct-connect the drive itself...  I thought JFS was from the glory days of OS/2 Warp Server.  Most of the drives from that era would be either PATA or SCSI.  USB to PATA adapters are easy to find.  USB to SCSI seems to be far more difficult...  Sorry, just rambling around the idea of hooking up drives from that era on the Pyra or even the Pandora for that matter.

I can enable it on pandora too, had potentially unneeded things disabled because having a lot of modules slightly affects boot time. On Pyra there should be enough CPU power to not make a difference on boot time.

Just curious, where would you use JFS? Have access to some old IBM machines?

You'd be surprised, but yeah, some of my friends do.

Needing JFS on the Pyra would imply needing to direct-connect the drive itself...  I thought JFS was from the glory days of OS/2 Warp Server.  Most of the drives from that era would be either PATA or SCSI.  USB to PATA adapters are easy to find.  USB to SCSI seems to be far more difficult...  Sorry, just rambling around the idea of hooking up drives from that era on the Pyra or even the Pandora for that matter.

Well, I don't have a SCSI one of those, but one of my friends does. I think he had to make it. As a side note, I formatted a thumb drive as JFS to backup a few things on. It seems to work OK, is there any reason it's no longer used?

I used JFS a lot, it is a pretty neat little FS, way better that ext3, in my opinion. But I used it because I had an big FS and big files (Media Server). Ext3 is just bad for big files and xfs uses to much ram and without an ups it is kinda dangerous :D  But for the pandora / pyra ... hmm ok maybe to mount an usb drive with jfs.. 

This rolls back to another idea.

We need a program that can benchmark storage devices on the Pandora and/or Pyra AND give the user the option to input the device name, type, size, partition format, etc and an option to upload the information generated to a central database table.

Different SD cards perform differently - we know that.  They may also differ by left slot vs. right slot, what format was used for the partition, reads vs writes...

I noticed that Ubuntu has a nice graphical HDD benchmark utility.
https://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/test-your-hard-drive-speed-with-ubuntus-disk-utility/
Is there any reason this could not be ported to Pandora/Pyra?

Couldn't get X11 forwarding working from trashys omap5 board, but at least it installed fine from APT :p

EDIT: Well, it started and so, but it kept erroring out during the test. Not sure if that's related to running it with a VNC viewer or not, but I'd think it isn't related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back